Computer Operating Systems

thaisabai

I am planning to buy a desktop computer for my fieancee in Khorat. I saw some reasonable priced computers at big C and in the Mall.

question: if you buy a computer here does it come with a Thai version of windows or with the English version?

reason is, that she hardly speaks English and I cannot read Thai. How can I teach her the basics of operating a computer, i.e. transferring pictures from a camera to the computer, using the internet and hotmail?

thanks for advise

From what l've seen, the computers you get at BigC and similar department stores do not usually come with Windows, maybe Linux but not usually Windows.

I would not buy a computer from somewhere like BigC as l would be doubtful of getting any after sales service. Even in Khorat there should be local computer shops where you can buy a basic computer set up for around 15,000 running Windows 98 (copy?). You can now also get a genuine version of XP Thai edition for around 1,200 baht l believe. It is a cut down version of the regular XP but for a novice it could be okay plus it has improved language functions. I think l'd prefer that to Win98 or even Linux which although good would be better suited to someone who knows a bit about computers. Buying from a local shop, even if it is more expensive would be better imo as if any problems arise she can probably get to see the same person each time for advice.

About teaching her how to use the computer, well there are some very good illustrated books in Thai available for all operating systems at any large book store. You can also use the Plawan Browser which runs in Thai and English. It's based on IE though. Why not see if there is a computer course in her area or pay some local geek to teach her. Teaching your fiancée to use a computer can be like teaching your wife to drive. Better done by a third party perhaps. :o

Whatever you do, l would also suggest the following:

Set up a Yahoo! e-mail account rather than Hotmail.

Install a decent anti-virus program and teach her how to update it.

Install Firefox as it's currently less vulnerable to malware than IE.

Install Spybot, Ad-aware and Spyware blaster.

Btw, if you go with Windows XP then get a PC with 256 RAM or buy extra memory to make it so. Also make sure the PC comes with a CD/RW, many cheap computers in Thailand still only come with a CD-ROM, not good enough these days.

hi'

yop ...

buy somewhere else than a supermarket ...

the best would be Linux, I mean a Thai Linux, like Linux TLE.

get some help from a Thai buddy :o

this would be the safest for your GF, quite no virus, no bad adds .... and a lot safer on the web ...

install firefox, plus some extensions ... again ask help to a Thai friend :D

and stay with her for the first experiences ... would be nice and kind :D

cheers

francois

ps; Linux has all what she could need without having to spend a satang more :D

a cd recorder in needed, and K3B is a nice piece of software to use (linux GPL),

as efficient and easy to use as nero :D

hi'

Linux == Server Side

XP == Desktop

Save yourself a headache or ten

have you ever tried a Linux ditribution?

this is valid for desktop as well as Xp does :D

it's a question of choice, not based on twisted facts ... :o

cheers

francois

hi'
Linux == Server Side

XP == Desktop

Save yourself a headache or ten

have you ever tried a Linux ditribution?

this is valid for desktop as well as Xp does :D

it's a question of choice, not based on twisted facts ... :o

cheers

francois

That's right, and I just gave you my choice. I work in a Java shop in Bangers and 95% of these guys (linux, java developers) prefer MS on the desktop. Besides, thaisabai sounds like Linux might be the wrong choice in terms of the experience I perceive he has.