Gymkhana Club

KevinHunt

I recently showed a couple of guys around The Gymkhana club and one thing that struck me is how few people seem to even know of it's existence. It has a 9-hole golf course, driving range, tennis and squash courts, and cricket pitch, as well as a club-house with a veranda over-looking one of the best views in town - all right in town practically.

I reckon that if you've been in chiang Mai for more than 6 months and never heard of it then they need to get the word around a bit more.

Have you heard about it? Have you been there?

Don't they only consider really high class Brits like David Unkovitch for membership there? :o

I thought David is an Aussie. Even if he isn't, they accept Ausies and none of them that I've met could ever be called high-class.

Besides, you don't need to be a member to use the Gymkhana. Visitors welcome.

they accept Ausies and none of them that I've met could ever be called high-class.

You've obviously forgotten Blinky Bill.

I was thinking of him in particular, when I made that statement. :o But let's not digress...

What I was hoping to get from this topic was an indication of whether people had heard of The Gymkhana, or had any views on the place? It's been there for over 100 years after all - it should be world famous!!

What I was hoping to get from this topic was an indication of whether people had heard of The Gymkhana, or had any views on the place? It's been there for over 100 years after all - it should be world famous!!

I am under the impression that Cricket Sixes was more or less "invented" in Chiangmai and the first ever game was at the Gymkhana. Is this true?

I am under the impression that Cricket Sixes was more or less "invented" in Chiangmai and the first ever game was at the Gymkhana. Is this true?

Yes this is correct. This year is the 21st Chiang Mai Sixes tournament and it attracts teams from all over the world. The success of Sixes cricket at Chiang Mai has spawned a host of other events around Asia. It all takes place at the Gymkhana and is my favourite week of the year.

Quite right Bokseedah. This year will be the 21st anniversary of the 6's in Chiang Mai. Many 6's tournaments exist around the world but the first was in Chiang Mai in 1987. Ex Chiang Mai tobacco ex-pat Ian Law along with numerous others was one of the founders.

The land that the CMGC is on was donated to the ex-pat community by the King of Thailand in the 1890's. It was given under the proviso that it was never to be sold. There have been a few groups who have tried over the past 15 years or so, to sell it off but fortunately failed to do so.

Speaking of high class Brits in Chiang Mai, that definately rules out any scousers. In fact there is no such thing as a high class Brit living in Liverpool for that matter.

Quite right Bokseedah. This year will be the 21st anniversary of the 6's in Chiang Mai. Many 6's tournaments exist around the world but the first was in Chiang Mai in 1987. Ex Chiang Mai tobacco ex-pat Ian Law along with numerous others was one of the founders.

The land that the CMGC is on was donated to the ex-pat community by the King of Thailand in the 1890's. It was given under the proviso that it was never to be sold. There have been a few groups who have tried over the past 15 years or so, to sell it off but fortunately failed to do so.

Speaking of high class Brits in Chiang Mai, that definately rules out any scousers. In fact there is no such thing as a high class Brit living in Liverpool for that matter.

Yeah!

Q: What do you call a scouser in a suit? A: The defendant

Q: What do you call a scouser in a Porsche? A: A car thief etc etc etc!

Seriously, Gymkhana, the oldest club of any kind in Thailand, is one of the few 'green lungs' of this city and a real national treasure.

Great ambience, good value food and drink, good staff (now!) and worth a trial run in every way, ie eating, drinking, golfing, squashing, tennising, billiarding or just sitting on that lovely verandah at dusk and bxllxsxttxng!

Yeah!

Q: What do you call a scouser in a suit? A: The defendant

Q: What do you call a scouser in a Porsche? A: A car thief etc etc etc!

Seriously, Gymkhana, the oldest club of any kind in Thailand, is one of the few 'green lungs' of this city and a real national treasure.

Great ambience, good value food and drink, good staff (now!) and worth a trial run in every way, ie eating, drinking, golfing, squashing, tennising, billiarding or just sitting on that lovely verandah at dusk and bxllxsxttxng!

I wouldn't mind joining the Gymkhana club as the only other expat's club in CM is a disaster these days -- more politics than Capitol Hill and more money grubbing than the NYSE! But -- can't do it on my budget -- joining fees are huge!

Jeannie

I wouldn't mind joining the Gymkhana club as the only other expat's club in CM is a disaster these days -- more politics than Capitol Hill and more money grubbing than the NYSE! But -- can't do it on my budget -- joining fees are huge!

Jeannie

The Gymkhana is not an expat's club, it is a sports and social club with more Thai members than expat. It has different memberships, depending on your needs. I play tennis there (I'm too fit and young to play Golf) so I am a Social member, which is a lot cheaper than Full Membership. Also, you don't need to be a member to use the club. Members pay monthly fees and so pay a lot less for their sports , so non-members obviously pay higher fees to use the facilities (except , of course the restaurant/ bar which is the same price for everyone). If you expect to use the place a lot then being a member is cheaper in the long run.

Edited by KevinHUNT

I am a member and have been since my girl days. All members (currently over 200) own the club. If the club, or any land, is ever sold the money goes to Chiang Mai hospitals, so it is a members-owned club which is great as it sits on 90 plus rai of prime city real estate and members can feel as though they own it. The club has had some tough years and our membership is down. We need more and new energised members. I am currently about to propose to the committee to redo the entire club house. I have found a wonderful international interior designer who will basically do it gratis and I am pledging some money towards it. My friends and I are also going to ask the committee to allow me to fundraise to get some money to really give it a facelift. I hope that they agree as I think that with that MOTHER raintree as the view, the club house needs to step up and become something which is stylish, colonial and historical in feel (to reflect the fact that is is over 100 years, founded inh 1898) and to attract diners, drinkers, sportspeople and members. If you don't know the club, please pop by. It is a great spot for sun downers and the food is really rather good. It is terribly run down right now and the service is very sabai sabai. But it is inexpensive and we really want visitors to support.

I don't know what current membership fees are. Something like 30,000 baht for social membership for life and 50,000 for golf? But we had post 2005 flood memberships available for a while at 5000! I dont think this deal is still available. But do check. Their number is 053 241035. Don't bother with email, the committee don't really use it.