Ubc - Had Enough!

Herbs

I give-up with UBC (TrueVisions). My picture freezes every five minutes. An 'engineer' comes over, changes the card, but still the same problem.

The most frustrating thing was an afternoon spent calling them - being put on hold for 20 minutes on 3 occasions. I'm just going to cancel the overpriced subscription. Horrible service....

in my view there is only one way to cope with the programming of UBC (i have no reception or picture quality problems). we have a dual UBC connection. to each of the receivers a harddrive-VCR is connected which records 24 hours a day. that enables us to select out of the zillion repeats the few movies or reports we have not seen yet or prefer to watch.

in my view there is only one way to cope with the programming of UBC (i have no reception or picture quality problems). we have a dual UBC connection. to each of the receivers a harddrive-VCR is connected which records 24 hours a day. that enables us to select out of the zillion repeats the few movies or reports we have not seen yet or prefer to watch.

Doesn't that only restrict you to watching two channels though?

And what exactly do you mean by hard-drive- VCR?

Yes, I recently assembled a MythTV computer video recording system and finally got it working with an USB MCE remote control device with IR blaster, so it can select the channel on the UBC box automatically and record by schedule. It doesn't completely erase the feeling of spending too much for poor service, but I have found that there are enough movies and shows on over the course of a week to record and give me a few hours of material to watch if and when I want it. I hadn't previously noticed that there are a few OK movies here and there in the middle of the night or middle of the day when I don't normally use the TV...

Just being able to fast-forward through some of those long advertisement sessions is reason enough to do it!

I like MythTV, being an old-time Linux and open source software user. I would assume there are similar solutions for Windows users though which might be easier to manage for a less technical user?

My next trick will be to teach my family members to use it. At the moment, they've mostly just balked at using the main TV in the living room because they know I have some project going on and might get upset if they disrupt the UBC box in conflict with the attached computer. :o

Yes, I recently assembled a MythTV computer video recording system and finally got it working with an USB MCE remote control device with IR blaster, so it can select the channel on the UBC box automatically and record by schedule. It doesn't completely erase the feeling of spending too much for poor service, but I have found that there are enough movies and shows on over the course of a week to record and give me a few hours of material to watch if and when I want it. I hadn't previously noticed that there are a few OK movies here and there in the middle of the night or middle of the day when I don't normally use the TV...

Just being able to fast-forward through some of those long advertisement sessions is reason enough to do it!

I like MythTV, being an old-time Linux and open source software user. I would assume there are similar solutions for Windows users though which might be easier to manage for a less technical user?

My next trick will be to teach my family members to use it. At the moment, they've mostly just balked at using the main TV in the living room because they know I have some project going on and might get upset if they disrupt the UBC box in conflict with the attached computer. :o

How did the simple art of watching TV get so complicated? It sounds like you need to be some sort of mad scientist who dashes about, screwdriver in hand, mumbling to yourself formulas, and working late into the night in your secret basement laboratory. :D

MythTV works great once you get your backend setup (and that's a major hassle!). I've found that if people haven't been weaned off of Windows, the MCE version works pretty well for them. It's currently bundled in Home Premium and Ultimate versions of Vista also.

My next trick will be to teach my family members to use it. At the moment, they've mostly just balked at using the main TV in the living room because they know I have some project going on and might get upset if they disrupt the UBC box in conflict with the attached computer. :D

How did the simple art of watching TV get so complicated? It sounds like you need to be some sort of mad scientist who dashes about, screwdriver in hand, mumbling to yourself formulas, and working late into the night in your secret basement laboratory. :D

TiT :o

I give-up with UBC (TrueVisions). My picture freezes every five minutes. An 'engineer' comes over, changes the card, but still the same problem.

The most frustrating thing was an afternoon spent calling them - being put on hold for 20 minutes on 3 occasions. I'm just going to cancel the overpriced subscription. Horrible service....

I had a similar problem with my receiver. It would freeze and frequently reboot with a big DL on the screen. I took it into the True office and they plugged it in and instantly informed me I need to download the new software. The DL meant it was trying to download but you need to be on their service channel for it to work. They did it right there and no problems since... I wonder if the tech guy who looked at yours upgraded you to the new version? I have the TopField receiver BTW.

You are a star! It was a problem which could be solved so easily! Thank you.

I had a similar problem with my receiver. It would freeze and frequently reboot with a big DL on the screen. I took it into the True office and they plugged it in and instantly informed me I need to download the new software. The DL meant it was trying to download but you need to be on their service channel for it to work. They did it right there and no problems since... I wonder if the tech guy who looked at yours upgraded you to the new version? I have the TopField receiver BTW.

So you can do the software update at home? Which one is the service channel you need to be on when you reboot?

Mine freezes all the time, too (black screen), especially the last week, I have to disconnect the power source and turn it back on, sometimes it crashes again after just a few minutes.

So you can do the software update at home? Which one is the service channel you need to be on when you reboot?

Mine freezes all the time, too (black screen), especially the last week, I have to disconnect the power source and turn it back on, sometimes it crashes again after just a few minutes.

Not sure.. I think the channel started with RS or DL...The girl who did the upgrade also went to a menu item to start the download. I would call their tech support on the phone and ask. They usually have a decent english speaker.

it restricts me indeed watching either the channel i am recording or any of the programs i have recorded on a 250GB harddrive (~200 hours at fair quality). these recorders are nothing new, got my first one in 1996.

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=harddriv...amp;safe=images

it restricts me indeed watching either the channel i am recording or any of the programs i have recorded on a 250GB harddrive (~200 hours at fair quality). these recorders are nothing new, got my first one in 1996.

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=harddriv...amp;safe=images

Ah ok. Yes i was aware of these machines. I was confused by your terminology. VCR means video cassette recorder, and from what i understand, your set-up records on a drive rather than a cassette.

Although i appreciate your method allows you to choose from many hours of programing, the fact that you are limited to two channels at any given time i think negates the benefit considerably.

I'm hoping that True Visions launch of their own digital recorder is not too far off.

Now we have computers to watch TV for us. Within a few years they'll be able to analyze the shows and tell us how good they were or give us the plot synopsis for the next day's water cooler talk. Get with the program, or get replaced! Only robots will watch TV in the future. :o

Oh, and my wife says I'm not mad yet, but still a few rungs down the ladder at just eccentric scientist. But to be honest, it might be true that I was more entertained by configuring the MythTV computer, including the struggles to make it work right, than I am by watching the recordings now...

Yes, a complete pain - but very simple to fix. Not sure you have to be on the service channel, but, I was when I did mine (channel 9). Then go to menu and installation (pin 2321), then 'download updates). Takes 2 minutes, works fine after....

I have UBC in one of my businesses and that convinced me not to bother having it at home. Sophon Cable however is totally abysmal. I cannot remember when they last had a new movie. They are even showing Ladder 49, Van Helsing and other <deleted> again today which they have showed every week for perhaps a year or two.

Yes, a complete pain - but very simple to fix. Not sure you have to be on the service channel, but, I was when I did mine (channel 9). Then go to menu and installation (pin 2321), then 'download updates). Takes 2 minutes, works fine after....

Thank you great info!

Went to channel 9 just in case it matters. The pin 2321 really works to get into the Installation menu, great. I went to download, but it's telling me there is no update.

Haven't watched anything for 2 days, have to see if it's still crashing today.

On the ch9 they seem to broadcast some instructions about some download, but I don't get it, seems to be for a different model box, too :o

Ah ok. Yes i was aware of these machines. I was confused by your terminology. VCR means video cassette recorder, and from what i understand, your set-up records on a drive rather than a cassette.

Although i appreciate your method allows you to choose from many hours of programing, the fact that you are limited to two channels at any given time i think negates the benefit considerably.

I'm hoping that True Visions launch of their own digital recorder is not too far off.

sorry, my fault indeed.

is doesn't limit me at all as i am not inclined to watch any channel on UBC live and i always have a dozen recorded channels available. on top of that we have (as mentioned) a dual UBC connection as well as a static big dish for various other programmes (mainly news channels). i am used to the harddrive recorder since more than a decade (however with ten times better options) but even with presently the limited options i would hate to miss the recorder.

i hope to live long enough till True launches its own recorder :o

Nam, would you recommend a brand for a harddrive-VCR? Something readily available in most parts of Thailand (larger cities)? And price range? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Edited by toptuan

Actually I am quite impressed with my satellite dish TV when compared to the miserable Internet satellite dish. Other than being over priced for what I get, it works pretty well. Since I have dumped TOT Crapstar and am now using GPRS, my life has gone back to being quite peaceful.

Nam, would you recommend a brand for a harddrive-VCR? Something readily available in most parts of Thailand (larger cities)? And price range? Thanks in advance for the advice.

we bought our recorders two years ago. mine is a Philips (250GB), 23,000 Baht, wy wife's is a Panasonic 180GB 19,000 Baht. prices should have fallen considerably in the meantime. i can't really make a recommendation as both recorders are crap compared to those we were used to.

one caveat: before buying a harddrive recorder one should consider for the same purpose a PC running Vista and a remote. you are then free from proprietory harddrives and able to add a bunch of big drives in the PC. as i have no actual experience i am still hesitating to go that way until i find an expert for the setup.

perhaps Reimar is able to assist? Reimar where are you?

60 mins in to the Liverpool game last night, the screen froze, I could still get the menu but no picture. Came back for about 2 mins, then froze again.

I then tried to get on the BBC site to catch up on the score. The site wouldn't load up! I have True Hi ha ha speed internet.

I was really Trued last night!

I do believe there is nothing I can do because the system is back to normal!

Yesterday TRUE was messing up the their whole system while playing with the adjustment of additional international Bandwidth.

To tell it nicely, TRUE wasn't know what to do!

But anyway, if you still need help, please let me know and I'll try my best. Please keep in mind that I sometimes need a bit time to answer because I've to do my "normal" work as well. And Mondays I'm very busy the whole day.

Cheers.