Visa Result

We put my fiance's settlement visa application in on 31st Jan. She had a short phone interview on Monday 4th. They asked her to get me to fax in a copy of my passport, although I had already included a perfectly good copy in the supporting documentation. I'm not sure if this was a sneaky way to check if I actually was in Thailand with her or not.

Anyway, I checked the status of her passport on Thursday 7th Feb and all it said was that it had been passed to the embassy on the 31st. I returned home to the UK on Sunday and my fiance and our daughter flew back home to Khon Kaen. I have just checked the site and it says that her passport is ready for collection and the status is dated 6th Feb.

Is there any way that she will be able to get confirmation over the phone whether she has got the visa or not? We were hoping to pick up her passport (if she has the visa) and the baby's passport from bangkok just before we come back to the UK, but obviously I can't book flights for her and the baby without knowing if she has the visa. If not, we are going to have to go through the expense and hassle of getting her a flight to and from Bangkok, while leaving the baby at her parents, just for her to see if she has got the visa. They said that they would not send her passport to her in Khon Kaen as they have no local office to courier it to.

We put my fiance's settlement visa application in on 31st Jan. She had a short phone interview on Monday 4th. They asked her to get me to fax in a copy of my passport, although I had already included a perfectly good copy in the supporting documentation. I'm not sure if this was a sneaky way to check if I actually was in Thailand with her or not.

Anyway, I checked the status of her passport on Thursday 7th Feb and all it said was that it had been passed to the embassy on the 31st. I returned home to the UK on Sunday and my fiance and our daughter flew back home to Khon Kaen. I have just checked the site and it says that her passport is ready for collection and the status is dated 6th Feb.

Is there any way that she will be able to get confirmation over the phone whether she has got the visa or not? We were hoping to pick up her passport (if she has the visa) and the baby's passport from bangkok just before we come back to the UK, but obviously I can't book flights for her and the baby without knowing if she has the visa. If not, we are going to have to go through the expense and hassle of getting her a flight to and from Bangkok, while leaving the baby at her parents, just for her to see if she has got the visa. They said that they would not send her passport to her in Khon Kaen as they have no local office to courier it to.

They will not tell you over the phone if the visa has been granted or not, in fact the VFS centre will not know. Your fiance can get a courier to collect providing she gives them a letter of authorisation and the original receipt, you need to have one you can trust but it might save the trip.

Good luck.

to co

Have you considered having her take the bus. Khon Kaen to BKK about 700 baht round trip. It's quite normal for a Thai to do. Sometimes you can hire a local to drive her to BKK for not much money. From Khon Kaen about 5 hrs. I understand it's not always a money thing but dealing with the airport can be a big hassle all by itself. Besides I would also hate to see you really spoiler her right off the bat (that a whole other thread). I did with my wife and have regretted ever since. Good Luck

Have you considered having her take the bus. Khon Kaen to BKK about 700 baht round trip. It's quite normal for a Thai to do. Sometimes you can hire a local to drive her to BKK for not much money. From Khon Kaen about 5 hrs. I understand it's not always a money thing but dealing with the airport can be a big hassle all by itself. Besides I would also hate to see you really spoiler her right off the bat (that a whole other thread). I did with my wife and have regretted ever since. Good Luck

My main concern really is that the baby who has only just turned 5 months old and is still being breastfed, so can't be left at home with the parents and a long trip like that on a bus isn't going to be a picnic with a baby that young. I have had a look at the flights. She'll can get there and back in a day easily. The cost isn't a big issue, obviously I'd prefer not to have to pay for a flight to BKK, but the fact they didn't update the site when they claim they did is annoying to say the least and their inability to get any kind of courier to Khon Kaen when they have them for Laos and Cambodia is astounding.

You can get a relative to go on her behalf if it is easier see here where it states

If applicants wish to assign a second person to collect passport on their behalf, the authorized person needs to produce:

Original receipt issued at the application centre at the time of submission

Data page of the passport with VFS stamp

Letter of authorization from the principle applicant.

Photo Copy of ID card of the authorized person.

My fiancee has lost teh receipt the VFS centre gave her. Will she be able to collect everything by showing her thai ID card ???

I would think so, although she might wish to clarify this with the visa application centre.

and is it possible to check the status of the application online with only her DOB and passport number ?

Unfortunately not.

Scouse.

They will not tell you over the phone if the visa has been granted or not, in fact the VFS centre will not know. Your fiance can get a courier to collect providing she gives them a letter of authorisation and the original receipt, you need to have one you can trust but it might save the trip.

Good luck.

to co

Really!!

They told my then Fiancee that her UK Marriage entry visa had been granted when they called and told her to pick it up.

She's got it ok..you have a baby together. Unwritten rule (or so I was told) if you have a baby and they believe it is yours the Visas a given.

Worked for me, my Fiancee never even had to go for an interview and my friend who was together with a bar girl for a while got her straight to England because she was pregnant.

Please remember, it will be a six Month Fiancee visa and you are expected to Marry during this period. The immigration official could ask her the date and place you are going to get Married at when She tries to clear immigration at the airport. They kept my then Fiancee for about twenty minutes (holding our baby) asking her all sorts of questions. They seemed satisfied when I came over and intervened. Lesson learned you go through the Uk passport entry first then stand beside the foriegn passport holders and wait for her.

And remember, the work has just begun. After six Months she will get two years leave to remain and then it gets tricky. Collage and ESOL exams or life in the Uk test for the ILR settlement.

Good luck.

Edited by farangmal

They told my then Fiancee that her UK Marriage entry visa had been granted when they called and told her to pick it up.

If the application centre had actually opened the package, you have justifiable cause for complaint. If, on the other hand, and as seems more likely, they were guessing, that is a dangerous game for them to play. What would they have done if your fiancée had opened her package in the belief that her visa had been granted, only to find it had been refused?

Scouse.

If the application centre had actually opened the package, you have justifiable cause for complaint. If, on the other hand, and as seems more likely, they were guessing, that is a dangerous game for them to play. What would they have done if your fiancée had opened her package in the belief that her visa had been granted, only to find it had been refused?

Scouse.

Wait a minute...I'm getting my wires crossed here. The British embassy in Bangkok called her and told her the visa had been granted.

And why oh why does anybody need a visa advisor. The application forms are there to be downloaded from the Government website. If you can start a teatime crossword and read and have a brain then why don't you fill in the form yourself.

This was the words of the immigration officer at the PEO (public enquiry office) in the Uk. :o:D

Edited by farangmal

Ah yes, the caseworkers (not immigration officers, by the way) at the PEOs don't like the idea that someone may know more than they do.

I've had them make the same comments to me, too: normally after I've just wiped the floor with them. I just smile knowingly....

Scouse.

Wait a minute...I'm getting my wires crossed here. The British embassy in Bangkok called her and told her the visa had been granted.

And why oh why does anybody need a visa advisor. The application forms are there to be downloaded from the Government website. If you can start a teatime crossword and read and have a brain then why don't you fill in the form yourself.

I suspect you are also going back a few years to the time when your application was actually presented direct to the embassy.

In these modern times all applications are presented to the VAC (an independent agency down the road appointed by the British government to handle all visa applications). You still have to fill in the application form and present the supporting documents much as you did before, it is not a Visa agency (but you can still do the crossword while you are waiting for the result)

Ah yes, the caseworkers (not immigration officers, by the way) at the PEOs don't like the idea that someone may know more than they do.

I've had them make the same comments to me, too: normally after I've just wiped the floor with them. I just smile knowingly....

Scouse.

No..I seriously wasn't getting at you but I know many people who have used visa companies in Thailand and to be honest there's no need to.

When the 'presentation' is comple there's no sign or a hint that a visa co. was used. It is so simple to fill in a settlement application and many visa companies are frowned upon by the Uk embassy in Bangkok.

Also, many visa companies will hint that they know somebody in the Embassy and this is just bull.

You and I know if the baby is His and they are satisfied of this and His name and Nationality is on the Birth cert (certified translation) then his Fiancee will get a 6 Months entry clearence visa. No! :o:D

Edited by farangmal

Thanks for all the replies. She is flying down to Bangkok on Thursday to pick the passport up. I hope she has got it. In the meantime the embassy has sent my daughters new UK birth certificate and passport to her home in KK. Shame they couldn't do this with hers too.

On the subject of agencies etc. We didn't use one ourselves. The forms are fairly straightforward, it's the supporting info that takes time to collate and write the detailed supporting letter. We used the agency next door to the visa centre for the translation of my daughter's Thai birth certificate and passport photo's, but I would caution others to find out requirements for visa's etc. Before going into these places. They tried to convince me that we would never get my daughter's passport without taking their 5400 baht quickie marriage package and tried to make me feel like an idiot when I said that I knew for a fact that we could get the passport without being married. Their forms were out of date and so it seems is their info. They also tried to get in on my fiance's application, but I told them point blank all I needed from them was the translation and a few passport photo's. They tried to tell us that my daughter's photo with the lady's hand holding her chin up to the camera would be ok. I told them it was not ok and to take more photo's until I was satisfied. People should be made aware that many of these agencies do not know all the facts and should only be used as a last resort.

Good luck when the passport is collected, you will realise that many people are keeping everything crossed for you.

I think the "agencies" that prowl around outside the application centre, and in fact those that have offices nearby are akin to ambulance chasers, you are right to ignore them.

There are some people who find the services of an immigration advisor helpful and if this is the case they should use one who is OISC registered, they will guide cases that are not straightfoward through the procedures and will know what they are talking about, only giving you the facts.

Just to let you all know, phoned the other half about an hour ago and she has got the visa. She was in the taxi on her way back from the airport. When she got the passport back she wasn't sure what to look for until the guy we spoke to from the agency next door last time had a look and told her she had got it.....then promptly tried to get her to book and airline ticket through his agency! :o

I take it that the visa starts from the date we specified on the application form? I guess I'll have to start looking to book 3 airline tickets! :D

Thanks for all the help/support from everyone.