Financing For Farang

StrongView

So I'm interested in a car and the current owner (a farang) would need to put the loan in my name. I'm told I would need to give passport, work permit and have a Thai guarantor. Here are my problems. Perhaps someone can help me understand how to make this work:

1. I work as a contractor for a foreign government agency, so I do not get issued a work permit. Instead, I have an ID from the Government agency and a special visa that I am issued. In other situations when I need to show my work permit, I simply give them that ID and show my visa and they use that instead. Would this likely work for a bank?

2. I don't know any Thai's who would be willing to be a guarantor. Is there a way around this (hiring a company to be the guarantor?). Have any of you been in this situation? What have you done?

Thanks in advance!

So I'm interested in a car and the current owner (a farang) would need to put the loan in my name. I'm told I would need to give passport, work permit and have a Thai guarantor. Here are my problems. Perhaps someone can help me understand how to make this work:

1. I work as a contractor for a foreign government agency, so I do not get issued a work permit. Instead, I have an ID from the Government agency and a special visa that I am issued. In other situations when I need to show my work permit, I simply give them that ID and show my visa and they use that instead. Would this likely work for a bank?

2. I don't know any Thai's who would be willing to be a guarantor. Is there a way around this (hiring a company to be the guarantor?). Have any of you been in this situation? What have you done?

Thanks in advance!

Part 1 , do not know answer

Part 2 , just got a new car loan from Siam Commercial bank leasing , no thai gurantor required 30% deposit

Thanks in advance!

I planed since 1 and half week to by a Triton plus 2 wheel drive. First finance team refused as i needed a police officer as guarantor???!!!!!

They told me that my wife can not be considered as granter as she is my wife and it doesn't count as i am foreigner??!!

I have 2 years work permit, a good salary, i am registered at the French embassy, contract, Visa and all things needed.

The second finance team was from Krung Thai bank. even though my wife has no contract (she is hair dresser in a shop) and no statements, it was approved yesterday.

I pay 25% down payment and 60 month installments, the car will be on my name and my wife will be the granter. To be honest i am pretty surprised. what a good news.

I think it depends on the finance company

A quick follow up. Because of my situation, it was just too complicated and proved to be impossible with the bank I had to deal with (Kitnakin Bank). I just decided to bite the bullet and pay outright (I have the cash but I was resistant to pull it out of a high interest bearing account in the US) to avoid the hassle.

In case anyone cares, this is what the bank said I needed (for my specific situation):

1. Letter from my Embassy explaining who I work for and what I'm doing here.

2. Copy of passport and visa.

3. Bank statement.

4. Letter from my contracting agency confirming my salary.

5. A loan transfer fee of 4,000 THB

6. Thai guarantor with salary equal to 300% of the monthly loan payment and (somehow) proven creditworthiness.

Edited by StrongView