Canadian shot on a songthaew in Chiang Mai

menostay

The per capita murder rate in Thailand is twice what it is in the US, but it is NOT 20,000 per year. It is 5,000 per year, and there are no statistics on how many of those murders were commited with guns.

Huh? 5,000 murders per person?

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. When I mentioned that the murder rate in Thailand was 5k and not 20k, I was referring to the total number of murders per year in Thailand. It was mentioned in the same sentence as a comment about per capita murder rates, so maybe it was confusing, and I'm sorry for not being clearer. The per capita murder rate in Thailand is roughly twice as high as the US, and the total number of murders per year is roughly 5k.

Edited by DP25

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can the Police make such a rash statement. All they care about first and foremost is to cover up and minimise any potential damage!! Really is a sad state of affairs.

Have you been in Thailand long? The Police always make a rash statement! It's driving me crazy, but seems to be standard practice - must be part of the Police 101 manual. Something happened, immediately after Police talks to the media and tells them what it was and how it happened. Perhaps even who did it. The more unlikely the story, the better.

Why they do it, I will never understand.

In a civilized country, when somebody gets shot, police will try to find out who did it. They'll determine the weapon type used. They'll estimate the location of the shooter. They will investigate. They will not talk to the press until they have something to report. But TIT. They wont do any of those things. They'll go to a few houses around there and ask people what they saw, put it in a report, and let it be.

These taxis in Chiang Mai are known as Songtaos.

They come in various liveries, certain colours serving various routes the red normally will take passengers anywhere in Chiang Mai.

These taxis are basically covered pick-ups. I would say that it is impossible to shot a passenger from a high position unless a person was standing on the open platform at the rear, because these taxis only have long slits as window openings and are fully covered.

It appears that the Canadian would have been shot at a fairly close range and unless he was shot for trying to evade his fare, this can only be either an accidental shooting by someone playing about with a gun or a deliberate assassination attempted.

Edited by distortedlink

These taxis in Chiang Mai are known as Songtaos.

Two turtles?

They come in various liveries, certain colours serving various routes the red normally will take passengers anywhere in Chiang Mai.

These taxis are basically covered pick-ups. I would say that it is impossible to shot a passenger from a high position unless a person was standing on the open platform at the rear, because these taxis only have long slits as window openings and are fully covered.

There are often large spaces between the bars or panels.

It appears that the Canadian would have been shot at a fairly close range and unless he was shot for trying to evade his fare, this can only be either an accidental shooting by someone playing about with a gun or a deliberate assassination attempted.

Or a deliberate shooting of a random victim, or the deliberate shooting of a random farang, or somebody aiming to warn the songthaew driver to ply his trade elsewhere, or a case of mistaken identity, or a botched robbery attempt, or distortedlink wildly speculating from his armchair.

Edited by Briggsy

Agreed Briggsy, the spaces between the bars/panels are actually quite wide. It's also why most songthaews (sp?) have rolldown plastic covers for the "windows/spaces" when it rains.

My question is are the Police ACTIVELY investigating WHO used the gun??? :o

If not, why not?

Are the Canadian Embassy not putting pressure on via diplomatic channels to ensure this is investigated properly to find out what exactly occurred, so such incidents can (perhaps???) be prevented from happening again.......

What about the physical trauma of the resulting major surgery and the disruption caused to the couple and their planned vacation????

Edited by Andiamo

What I mentioned in my previous post is only what I am thinking is possible or not possible, but only guess work until any facts are known.

I don't think anyone has deliberately taken out a vendetta against Canadians just coincidence that they have happened to be victims of crime over here in the last few months.

I find this all rather disturbing and hope this isn't the beginning of a tread of violence against Farangs in Thailand.

If the Thai economy is bad at anytime, or inflation becomes high with ever increasing costs of food and bills, living standards for Thais drop and Farangs could be prime targets in Thailand for robbery, money scams and also resented.

Many times I have tried to convince my neighbours that I am not rich, just comfortable, but their attitude is, I am able to stay here, so I must be rich, full stop, end of story.

This latest Farang victim who was shot in a taxi in Chiang Mai for no apparent reason is too near home for me and my deepest sympathy goes out to him and his family, it could have happened to any of us.

My family and I have always felt safe living and traveling in Chiang Mai, this is one of the main reasons we choose Chiang Mai for our home.

Hopefully there will be no more incidents like this one and can continue on with our every day lives, without fear or becoming paranoid about safety as we were in the UK.

Edited by distortedlink

I would tell the wife right now to tell the Canadian Embassy in BKK to back off and also the Consulate in Chang Mai...they will probably blame her for the incident.

Canadian Embassy staff are not qualified to take care of situations like this.

God speed to the husband and wife.

Heard a few moments ago that a Canadian was shot while riding on a bus in Chiang Mai. It was stated by CBC that this was an accident. No further details at the moment.

Thailand does not need any more bad news.......

Heard a few moments ago that a Canadian was shot while riding on a bus in Chiang Mai. It was stated by CBC that this was an accident. No further details at the moment.

Thailand does not need any more bad news.......

This country, as any other, get only the news it deserve (good or bad). Why hidde the truth when it's ugly, it's a kiddish way to process.

On the other hand, murder or rape do not happend ONLY in thailand.

must be part of the Police 101 manual.

TTA 101 = internal regulations

TTA105 or eventually TTA 109 would be more appropriate when it's related on 'How to speak to the public'

Anyway, are you french, or had contact with the french military? That kind of saying make me thing of an ex NCO (st Maixent maybe?)

Well there's an official travel advisory out on the government of Canada webpage now regarding these incidents. I'm posting it below, but be warned that this strong worded excerpt is not for the faint of heart!

"Although not specifically targeted, Canadians have occasionally been victims of violent crime. In 2008, there have been three separate gun-related incidents involving four Canadians. Travellers should maintain a high level of personal security awareness at all times."

:o "gun-related incidents"??? That could mean just about anything, falls a bit short of the more accurate statement that four Canadians have been gunned down, two fatally, in six weeks. And how would a higher level of "personal security awareness" have helped our most recent casualty? Maybe he should have splurged for an armored vehicle for his tourist transport... But the best one was the quote from the "Official Opposition Critic for Consular Affairs and Services" in the CBC report, "We have had incidents, there's no doubt, but ahh the manner in which they are being addressed when incidents do take place um I think gives Canadians reassurance" :D Somehow this Canadian doesn't feel all that reassured.

If the reports so far are correct then it sounds like this guy was the unfortunate victim of a silly mistake. It says he was hit from above so if the gun was fired from above & he was riding with his back to the street the it is possible someone fired a gun from an apartment & this man was was hit by the bullet?

Bloody bad luck if that is the case but other reports now suggest he isn't in a coma as first reported but in intensive care.

I will, of course, hold out till the canadian gvt get involved & do their own investigation before making an informed opinion though cause our BiB haven't been filling me with much trust lately.

Just a silly mistake - oh well! (not thai by anychance are you)

Best tell the guys family that he has been the victim of a silly mistake - just a bit of bloody bad luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unbelievable comments - i think many will agree!

What I mentioned in my previous post is only what I am thinking is possible or not possible, but only guess work until any facts are known.

I don't think anyone has deliberately taken out a vendetta against Canadians just coincidence that they have happened to be victims of crime over here in the last few months.

I find this all rather disturbing and hope this isn't the beginning of a tread of violence against Farangs in Thailand.

If the Thai economy is bad at anytime, or inflation becomes high with ever increasing costs of food and bills, living standards for Thais drop and Farangs could be prime targets in Thailand for robbery, money scams and also resented.

Many times I have tried to convince my neighbours that I am not rich, just comfortable, but their attitude is, I am able to stay here, so I must be rich, full stop, end of story.

This latest Farang victim who was shot in a taxi in Chiang Mai for no apparent reason is too near home for me and my deepest sympathy goes out to him and his family, it could have happened to any of us.

My family and I have always felt safe living and traveling in Chiang Mai, this is one of the main reasons we choose Chiang Mai for our home.

Hopefully there will be no more incidents like this one and can continue on with our every day lives, without fear or becoming paranoid about safety as we were in the UK.

The uk government maybe paranoid about safety but joe public isnt. Not many tourists murdered by policemen in the last 500 years, or young girls raped and murdered by monks - or numerous (too many to mention) people stabbed wounded and murdered - never mind the carnage on the roads!

To understand why the police have said it was an accident i personaly bring to mind the tragic case of an Arab guy who was found dead in his pattaya condo (10 or more years ago) with numerous stab wounds to his back. The police report said he died from a heart attack but his family werent satisfied and ordered further investigation only to find hew had been stabbed - just a silly oversight by the police!

misterman21

Best tell the guys family that he has been the victim of a silly mistake - just a bit of bloody bad luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try to read what was written instead of jumping over my comemnts please.

I said

If the reports so far are correct
as the inital report stated that they thought he was the unfortunate victim of a random bullet so yes, silly mistake of someone firing a bullet without the intent of actually hitting this man. i.e. he wasn't the intended target & I read the report to mean that someone may have just been firing a gun for a joke or to hit a can/bird etc, not to actually kill or injure a person.
Bloody bad luck if that is the case
Well du'h, from reading the initial report it seemed to me that this poor man was at the wrong place at the wrong time as a few seconds earlier or later & the bullet may not have hit anyone but gone straight to the ground & no one would have been any wiser, so yeah, I stand by the comment, Bloody bad luck, for the viticm.

As I have said many times before, what do you expect from DFAIT, Canadian Embassy or Consulate assistance abroad.

Untalented civil servants that should not be involved as they cause more problems than any good.

What a waste of tax dollars! Get rid of DFAIT (Canadian Embassy staff) and replace it with an email address...you may get better service!

misterman21

Try to read what was written instead of jumping over my comemnts please.

I said

If the reports so far are correct
as the inital report stated that they thought he was the unfortunate victim of a random bullet so yes, silly mistake of someone firing a bullet without the intent of actually hitting this man. i.e. he wasn't the intended target & I read the report to mean that someone may have just been firing a gun for a joke or to hit a can/bird etc, not to actually kill or injure a person.
Bloody bad luck if that is the case
Well du'h, from reading the initial report it seemed to me that this poor man was at the wrong place at the wrong time as a few seconds earlier or later & the bullet may not have hit anyone but gone straight to the ground & no one would have been any wiser, so yeah, I stand by the comment, Bloody bad luck, for the viticm.

disturbing new news...

Canadian man remains in Thai hospital with liver and heart damage

The mother of an Ontario man shot in the back in Thailand says her son remains in the intensive care unit of a hospital in Chiang Mai, recovering from extensive damage to his liver and heart.

"He can't get out of bed and he still can't eat any food," said Johanna Griffioen from her home in Kitchener, Ontario. The important thing is he is recovering."

Erik Griffioen, 49, has been in intensive care in the McCormick hospital in Chiang Mai, north of Bangkok, since he was shot early in the morning of Feb. 13.

He and his wife, Elizabeth Ling, from Dundas, Ont., were in an open taxi truck on their way to take part in an elephant tour when Griffioen slumped over in his seat. Rushed to hospital, he underwent seven hours of surgery to remove the bullet.

Johanna Griffioen said she talked with her son from his bed on Sunday and he "sounded much brighter." She said he will require more time in the intensive care unit, but she could not say how much longer. She added that the injuries were severe because there was damage to part of his aorta and the bullet lodged in his liver. *that's not good*

"It was touch and go," she said. Ling, who is an anesthesiologist, has remained at her husband's bedside.

The family is hoping Griffioen will be taken back to Canada within the next month by air ambulance. "The ideal situation would be for him to be taken by air ambulance so he could visit a hospital in Hamilton," his mother said.

The Department of Foreign Affairs could not be reached Monday to determine whether Canadian authorities are playing a role in helping bring Griffioen back to Canada.

Meantime, Thai police have said he was likely the accidental victim of a hunter.

The couple had left Canada around Jan. 6 to travel to Cambodia and Laos, then back to Thailand. They were planning to attend a conference in Cape Town, but will instead return to Canada as soon as it is possible to move Griffioen.

This latest incident is the fourth time a Canadian was shot in Thailand just this year. Canadian oil worker Dale Henry of Victoria was killed at his home in the country earlier this month. Three people are in custody for his killing, including Henry's wife, her lover and a suspected contract killer. Calgary's Leo John Del Pinto was shot and killed by an off-duty police officer in January. His friend, Carly Reisig, was also shot in the incident, but survived.

Despite the number of shootings the Department of Foreign Affairs isn't warning Canadians against travel to Thailand.

But Del Pinto's father, Ernie, argues Ottawa needs to issue strong warnings about Thailand in light of the unusually high toll this year.

The Foreign Affairs website says Canadians are not being targeted in Thailand.

- Canwest

disturbing new news...

Canadian man remains in Thai hospital with liver and heart damage

The mother of an Ontario man shot in the back in Thailand says her son remains in the intensive care unit of a hospital in Chiang Mai, recovering from extensive damage to his liver and heart.

"He can't get out of bed and he still can't eat any food," said Johanna Griffioen from her home in Kitchener, Ontario. The important thing is he is recovering."

Erik Griffioen, 49, has been in intensive care in the McCormick hospital in Chiang Mai, north of Bangkok, since he was shot early in the morning of Feb. 13.

He and his wife, Elizabeth Ling, from Dundas, Ont., were in an open taxi truck on their way to take part in an elephant tour when Griffioen slumped over in his seat. Rushed to hospital, he underwent seven hours of surgery to remove the bullet.

Johanna Griffioen said she talked with her son from his bed on Sunday and he "sounded much brighter." She said he will require more time in the intensive care unit, but she could not say how much longer. She added that the injuries were severe because there was damage to part of his aorta and the bullet lodged in his liver. *that's not good*

"It was touch and go," she said. Ling, who is an anesthesiologist, has remained at her husband's bedside.

The family is hoping Griffioen will be taken back to Canada within the next month by air ambulance. "The ideal situation would be for him to be taken by air ambulance so he could visit a hospital in Hamilton," his mother said.

The Department of Foreign Affairs could not be reached Monday to determine whether Canadian authorities are playing a role in helping bring Griffioen back to Canada.

Meantime, Thai police have said he was likely the accidental victim of a hunter.

So, what was the person hunting in Chiang Mai.....falang?

As I have said many times before, what do you expect from DFAIT, Canadian Embassy or Consulate assistance abroad. Untalented civil servants that should not be involved as they cause more problems than any good.What a waste of tax dollars! Get rid of DFAIT (Canadian Embassy staff) and replace it with an email address...you may get better service!

What a grossly offensive and ignorant post. It would appear that you have a grudge of some sort. My own experience with the embassy staff has been that they do the best that they can do within the limitations that they are foreigners with limited powers in another sovereign nation. They can no more go out and order and demand things of the local authorities than the Thai embassy staff can do in Canada. What they can do and have done to the victim's satisfaction is to provide assistance and support.

The foreign service staff are paid in accordance with Treasury Board pay agreements, which means that the staff are paid significantly less than people in the private sector doing work requiring the same level of education. Combined with severe budget limitations ,the staff complement reflects this. The result is that you get are alot of young people who's eagerness and willingness to assist is often rewarded by abuse and ingratitude by people who expect to receive beck and call service. If you have a complaint, take it up with the Liberal government that slashed the budget. If you are angry because there is no foreign service security or police representation as the other delegations have (e.g. French, UK, Russia, USA etc.) then go complain to the NDP that are vehemently opposed to such a presence. The embassy staffing is a reflection of the Canadian public sentiment which does not support foreign service activities. It's unfair to piss on the people that are doing the best they can do under austere working conditions.

As I have said many times before, what do you expect from DFAIT, Canadian Embassy or Consulate assistance abroad. Untalented civil servants that should not be involved as they cause more problems than any good.What a waste of tax dollars! Get rid of DFAIT (Canadian Embassy staff) and replace it with an email address...you may get better service!

What a grossly offensive and ignorant post. It would appear that you have a grudge of some sort. My own experience with the embassy staff has been that they do the best that they can do within the limitations that they are foreigners with limited powers in another sovereign nation. They can no more go out and order and demand things of the local authorities than the Thai embassy staff can do in Canada. What they can do and have done to the victim's satisfaction is to provide assistance and support.

The foreign service staff are paid in accordance with Treasury Board pay agreements, which means that the staff are paid significantly less than people in the private sector doing work requiring the same level of education. Combined with severe budget limitations ,the staff complement reflects this. The result is that you get are alot of young people who's eagerness and willingness to assist is often rewarded by abuse and ingratitude by people who expect to receive beck and call service. If you have a complaint, take it up with the Liberal government that slashed the budget. If you are angry because there is no foreign service security or police representation as the other delegations have (e.g. French, UK, Russia, USA etc.) then go complain to the NDP that are vehemently opposed to such a presence. The embassy staffing is a reflection of the Canadian public sentiment which does not support foreign service activities. It's unfair to piss on the people that are doing the best they can do under austere working conditions.

Put in for a rise if your unhappy - embassy staff i bite my tongue!

Another unhappy person. Look, what is that you expect any foreign embassy staff to do? You do realize that they are constrained by the fact that they are guests in a sovereign nation, right? In this case, they responded to an injured tax paying citizen and provided assistance to her satisfaction. When someone travels, they need to understand that they have to function as if they are on their own and are subject to local laws and customs. If you can't handle the risk, then don't leave the country. If you make the decisions that involve exposure to danger, then accept the responsibility for your decisions.

Again, you do realize there are different types of staff at an embassy, right? Some are tasked to foreign trade, others to foreign development (which serves to sell Canadian goods and services) others are tasked to immigration and others deal with foreign affairs. Each group of workers has to work within the applicable rules and regulations that apply. If people are unhappy with immigration laws because a visa for a special "friend" was refused or the conduct of foreign affairs, take it up with the local MP since it is Parliament that makes the rules and regulations that the embassy staff follow. If people want deluxe service, then consider the costs and if the majority of taxpayers who will never go to Thailand, let alone leave the continent are willing to pay for it.

Another unhappy person. Look, what is that you expect any foreign embassy staff to do? You do realize that they are constrained by the fact that they are guests in a sovereign nation, right? In this case, they responded to an injured tax paying citizen and provided assistance to her satisfaction. When someone travels, they need to understand that they have to function as if they are on their own and are subject to local laws and customs. If you can't handle the risk, then don't leave the country. If you make the decisions that involve exposure to danger, then accept the responsibility for your decisions.

They should also be feeling the pulse, act as an observer to warn citizens of the hidden dangers that kill on a more frequent basis here. I'm afraid that trade has more importance over lives.

Some of these hidden dangers and deathtraps have only ever seen discussed here on Thaivisa, never on any Canadian govt. website.

Edited by Tony Clifton

I would say that it is impossible to shot a passenger from a high position unless a person was standing on the open platform at the rear, because these taxis only have long slits as window openings and are fully covered.

Woooooo Tonto before we roll onto another death tangent mystery tour ... How about a 'shot from' say the 2 floor balcony/window (or higher floors) of any building/apartment/shopblock bordering the street. That covers most of central CM and lots of the suburbs. Get yourself a Leo and chill ok :o

Any chance of a tourist shooting range nearby….these are all over the place in Thailand and not always perfectly enclosed….oh yes and the police run them in many cases…no idea if this is possible in this case since I do not know the terrain, but it would give a motive for a police cover up…all angles need to be investigated…..but who can we count on to do that

They should also be feeling the pulse, act as an observer to warn citizens of the hidden dangers that kill on a more frequent basis here. I'm afraid that trade has more importance over lives.

Some of these hidden dangers and deathtraps have only ever seen discussed here on Thaivisa, never on any Canadian govt. website.

Fair enough statement And that's precisely what is done on the respective websites for countries like Canada, USA, UK, Australia, etc. There are specific warnings given in respect to the most likely cause of incidents which are vehicle collisions and petty crime. There is even an advisory in respect to terrorist activities in the south. The frequency of Canadians shot and murdered in Thailand is well below that in Canada. That doesn't mean it is any less significant, but it's the reality. American tourists are regularly robbed in Canada, just as they are robbed in the USA, yet the US Department of State does not put up a warning about this. In the cities of Vancouver and Montreal, it's open season on parked US plated vehicles. They are stolen and broken into. Yet, Americans realize that is what happens when you go to cities with large populations of drug addicts and where the police do not consider such crimes a high priority. When Canadians are mugged and die in Florida in far greater numbers then in Thailand, there is no advisory because Canadians know this is the risk of living in Florida. Same applies to Thailand. People accuse the Thai police here of inaction, maybe so, but back in Canada, when Mr. Picton was on a killing spree, the police didn't do anything for many years because the people disappearing were prostitutes and no one cared. Different focus, but same impact.

In a civilized country, when somebody gets shot, police will try to find out who did it. They'll determine the weapon type used. They'll estimate the location of the shooter. They will investigate. They will not talk to the press until they have something to report. But TIT. They wont do any of those things. <red>They'll go to a few houses around there and ask people what they saw, put it in a report, and let it be.</red>

methinks Nikster's being too kind to Thai cops. It's more likely they wouldn't even begin to canvas the neighborhood. Go figure: average Thai people are going to do all they can to avoid controversy. Even if they saw a perpetrator, they won't say anything - because it might endanger them. The cops also know this, so they save themselves a lot of calories by taking the lazy way out - and simply making a rash (and/or ludicrous) assessment within the first minutes of hearing about the incident.

If there is an investigation, it's insipid and only serves to back up the official explanation (wouldn't want their superiors to lose face, would they?) - meanwhile, the Canadian is facing a lot more than a face losing incident - he's currently grappling with what is probably the most dire struggle of his life. I wish him all the best. If he recovers, he's got a standing invitation to come visit me in C.Rai to convalesce - food and lodging free in the tranquil countryside.

......."

Again, you do realize there are different types of staff at an embassy, right? Some are tasked to foreign trade, others to foreign development (which serves to sell Canadian goods and services) others are tasked to immigration and others deal with foreign affairs.

And some tasked with covert ops, right?... :o

Each group of workers has to work within the applicable rules and regulations that apply. If people are unhappy with immigration laws because a visa for a special "friend" was refused or the conduct of foreign affairs, take it up with the local MP since it is Parliament that makes the rules and regulations that the embassy staff follow. If people want deluxe service, then consider the costs and if the majority of taxpayers who will never go to Thailand, let alone leave the continent are willing to pay for it.

I can't speak for the Canadians, but I do have experience of a couple of British Embassies around the world. I'd say the staff have a pretty good time all in all. Weekly parties on the grounds, for VIPs and 'selected' guests, Condos come complete with servants and 4WD top of the range vehicles, business or first class air fares and lavish lifestyle - all on the Government, or should I say tax payers money. And when you're in a spot of bother, they're nowhere to be seen. Bunch of lazy parasites.

......."

Again, you do realize there are different types of staff at an embassy, right? Some are tasked to foreign trade, others to foreign development (which serves to sell Canadian goods and services) others are tasked to immigration and others deal with foreign affairs.

And some tasked with covert ops, right?... :o

Each group of workers has to work within the applicable rules and regulations that apply. If people are unhappy with immigration laws because a visa for a special "friend" was refused or the conduct of foreign affairs, take it up with the local MP since it is Parliament that makes the rules and regulations that the embassy staff follow. If people want deluxe service, then consider the costs and if the majority of taxpayers who will never go to Thailand, let alone leave the continent are willing to pay for it.

I can't speak for the Canadians, but I do have experience of a couple of British Embassies around the world. I'd say the staff have a pretty good time all in all. Weekly parties on the grounds, for VIPs and 'selected' guests, Condos come complete with servants and 4WD top of the range vehicles, business or first class air fares and lavish lifestyle - all on the Government, or should I say tax payers money. And when you're in a spot of bother, they're nowhere to be seen. Bunch of lazy parasites.

selfish, ignorant . . . . lazy parasites