Korat - Is It Ok For Farangs ?

balo

Hi Im travelling through Isaan this summer and would like to start my trip in Korat , is it a small place or do they have everything a farang needs?

Whats it like compared to Udon Thani ?

Im planning to stay for maybe a week in Korat . Much longer in Udon Thani I think. :o

Thanks

It has everything I need and I'm a farang.

Sure it's ok for farangs. I was there about 10 days ago or so and didn't have any problems.

Make sure to visit the mall and the swimming pool there, and the zoo was pretty interesting as well if your looking for something to do.

Cheers

When I visited Udon I didnt like the place but Korat has a really nice feel about it. I think I read somewhere that it is the third largest city in Thailand, so there is definately things to do there.

If you want a good meal while listening to a live band playing western hit music then give "Bules" a try. Great night out.

Great , I always believed that Korat was a small place .

So then I expect to find everything there ,

Can you recommend a good place to look for hotels with wifi, central Korat.

Im bringing my laptop with me :o

And Why didnt you like Udon ?

When I visited Udon I didnt like the place but Korat has a really nice feel about it. I think I read somewhere that it is the third largest city in Thailand, so there is definately things to do there.

If you want a good meal while listening to a live band playing western hit music then give "Bules" a try. Great night out.

Hi Balo

I cant really answer that question. My wife and I decided to move northeast and we were looking around a bit before deciding where to go. Neither of us had a good feel about the place. I cant say there is any particular thing wrong with Udon, we just didnt like it.

Korat however is a different story, I dont know why but I felt comfortable there from the first day I arrived. Coincidentally it is the nearest city to Nong Ki where my wife has land and family etc, so it made sense to relocate there and we intend to rent something in Korat too and visit most weekends for the social life.

After you visit both places perhaps you would like to let us know your opinions too, either on this forum or pm me, I for one would be very interested in them.

Be happy...Larry :o

When you are there dont forget to goto the BIG MALL. It has a very nice water park. You can see it using google maps, just look for the big swimming pool. Read up on it's history and then you will understand who is the real HERO of Khorat is. :o

I am a farang and live in Korat. It has every convenience of any large city in the world. To me it is the "real" Thailand as it is not the typical tourist spot live Pattaya and Phuket. Udon Thani (in my opinion) is becoming another Pattaya. If you are young, single and looking for a "good time" then by all means go to Udon or Pattaya. If you want to see what living in a big city in Thailand is like then visit Korat. And if you are still interested in Korat after reading my post koratfarang.com is an excellent forum about life in Issan.

Edited by Rdrokit