Village Head

Pierrot

I didn't really know where to post this question. I'm sure I'll sound stupid for a number a people but what is a "village head" ? What is his function?

I just bought a piece of land in Isaan, and every time I have a problem, people ask "Have you asked the village head? What does he think?"

Is he the supreme authority in the village? Or just a civil servant? And if we don't agree with him, what are the options ?

Thanks in advance

Pierrot

The Poo yai (village headman) Is a goverment official that is assigned to every village. He will deal with anything that you would normally pose at your local town hall Ie Land changing hands, land disputes or any other gripes the local citizens may have. They are usually very professional types not to be confused with tribal chiefs. I wouldnt know where to go if i didnt agree with the Poo yai's descision mate so i can't help you there.

<br />Just re'read your post mate, yes he is a civil servant and yes he is also the supreme authority in the village.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

My wife says you dont have to go with their advice or you can go higher than the poo yai baan. Recently when buying land this guy told us nobody will sell less than 350000 baht per rai but my wife said he is "stupid man" ......... we paid 250000 baht gufffffffffawwwwwwwwwww Wife correct poo yai ban was stupid man!!

<br />Just re'read your post mate, yes he is a civil servant and yes he is also the supreme authority in the village.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

My wife says you dont have to go with their advice or you can go higher than the poo yai baan. Recently when buying land this guy told us nobody will sell less than 350000 baht per rai but my wife said he is "stupid man" ......... we paid 250000 baht gufffffffffawwwwwwwwwww Wife correct poo yai ban was stupid man!!

You can go higher than the poo yai baan, but who ?

I may have to negociate some land purchase / border problem in the near future. I think we are lucky, people in our area seem very nice, so it should be ok. But I don't want to find out that the law is with us but the poo yai baan against us without having a plan "B".

<br /><br /><br />

You can go higher than the poo yai baan, but who ?

I may have to negociate some land purchase / border problem in the near future. I think we are lucky, people in our area seem very nice, so it should be ok. But I don't want to find out that the law is with us but the poo yai baan against us without having a plan "B".

Not sure what the Nai Yok Orbator does, but if the Kumnan fails try there. After that it's the amphurs office I should think.

This is just my understanding, the pecking order is:

1. Poo Yai Baan, in your village. If not happy go to,

2. Kumnan, I think located in your Tombon, then

3. Orbator, also in your Tombon, then

4. Nai Yak Orbator, located in your Changwat.

And I understand all these guys are elected by the appropriate population, ie, Poo Yai, by village, Orbagtor by Tombon and Nai Yak Obator by the province. We just had this election here in Korat last week I think. I think Mosha is right, and I might add, the Poo Yai in my little village is a great guy. He came and fixed a problem I had with my electricity at the meter around 8 o'clock the night before the NFL championship games, which I would have missed otherwise. AND WOULD NOT TAKE MONEY. Only a beer and some to the ribs I was bar-b-quing.