Norton Ghost

jonboy

I have some files I want on some old norton ghost backup cd's.Now I'm strugling to access them.Last time I used(not sure of the name)a very small program like ghost explorer which allows me to pull off the exact file that I want and copy it to my computer.Ive googled and gone to the Norton website(which is where I got it last time for free)but can't seem to get it.

Can someone post a link pls?....I seem to remember it being less than a meg or there abouts!

I use ghost to do a complete image of my hard drive onto CDs, usually before I do a major upgrade - like W98 to XP, or (as I am just about to do) from XP to XP SP2.

I have never used it to extract single files from a series of CDs, but I was wondering if you are thinking of the bootable floppy disk that you can create using ghost. When you boot from this floppy, do you get the option to extract individual files? :o Sorry if this is not what you are looking for :D .

hi'

I gave up on Norton ghost, for one reason, due to it's dificulty to classify files backed-up,

quite no way to choose in between files ... even with the integrated explorer :o

I then got Drive Image 7 ...

and may I say, it's far the best to do the job :D

you backup, whatever ... can get it back on demand, the explorer is precise, efficient, and the drive backup is the best I have ever used ... 5gb in less than 30mn and back in less than 20mn :D

hint : restore all the files you backup, and then get drive image 7 to do the job you want.

better to backup files on different places or cd's, depends on what you backup.

hope that it helps a bit

cheers

francois

ps; drive image works with the sytem on, no need to reboot from floppy :D

and same for restore !

Edited by francois

Thanks for the reply but I just need the file really.I think its ghostexp.exe or maybe its ghost.exe? I think its the first one. Anyway when you run this program it asks you to insert the first and then the last disk and it then tells you whats on all your disks.Then it allows you to drag the files onto your computer by asking you to insert the correct disk with the files on.

Anybody can post it or e-mail it to me? :D:D:o:D

[email protected]

Cheers

Thanks for the reply but I just need the file really.I think its ghostexp.exe or maybe its ghost.exe? I think its the first one. Anyway when you run this program it asks you to insert the first and then the last disk and it then tells you whats on all your disks.Then it allows you to drag the files onto your computer by asking you to insert the correct disk with the files on.

Anybody can post it or e-mail it to me?  :D  :D  :o  :D

[email protected]

Cheers

Yes, it's ghostexp.exe - just tried it and it wants all 9 CDs to be loaded, which I couldn't be bothered to do. Anyway, I zipped it up with it's help file and will send it to you now. Good luck!

hi'

I gave up on Norton ghost, for one reason, due to it's dificulty to classify files backed-up,

quite no way to choose in between files ... even with the integrated explorer :D

I then got Drive Image 7 ...

and may I say, it's far the best to do the job :D

you backup, whatever ... can get it back on demand, the explorer is precise, efficient, and the drive backup is the best I have ever used ... 5gb in less than 30mn and back in less than 20mn :D

hint : restore all the files you backup, and then get drive image 7 to do the job you want.

better to backup files on different places or cd's, depends on what you backup.

hope that it helps a bit

cheers

francois

ps; drive image works with the sytem on, no need to reboot from floppy :D

and same for restore !

Hi Francois! As I said in my previous post, I just use Norton Ghost for making a complete image of my C drive before I do major work.

I bought an identical second hard drive for my lap top soon after I bought the lap top. I restore the ghost image to the second drive and do the upgrade to the second drive. If all goes well, I continue to use the second drive and keep the original drive as a spare. Then when I want to do another upgrade, I make a ghost image of the second drive and restore it on to the first drive, and upgrade the first drive. And so on, and so on.

I also use CD-Rs to copy my important files onto. I use 'Roxio Easy CD'. And I use an excellent folder/file comparison utility called 'Beyond Compare'. It is brilliant! You can check that whatever has been copied to CD is identical to the original files on your hard disk. I did use CD-RWs, but the failure rate was so high I changed back to CD-Rs - they may be more expensive because you can use them only once, but they are still very cheap and they don't waste so much of my time by failing as often.

I very much recommend "Beyond Compare". You can try it for a month free, from here: http://www.scootersoftware.com/

Cheers!

P.S. I just went to http://www.powerquest.com/ and clicked on the link to Drive Image 7, and was directed to Norton Ghost! :o

Hi RDN. I think you sent me the wrong file as I received ghost.exe not ghostexp.exe. Could you try again pls...and thanks for that!! :o

Hi Jon. What I sent was "Norton Ghost.zip". Inside is "Ghostexp.exe" (the executable program) and "Ghostexp.chm" (the help file).

PM me if you have a problem.

Good luck!