Just Had A Baby Boy

colino

hi all

me and the wife have just had a baby boy born at thammasat hospital, both are doing well , i have a couple of questions to ask if thats ok ,

1st one can i register his birth in england and not at the embassey in bangkok , if yes what documents do i need to show , im uk and my wife is thai , we have registerd his birth with the local ampur ,

2nd i have read on here before about the cost of births here in thailand well my wife had to have a cz birth and was in hospital for 3 days the total cost was 12,000 baht , but the doctor that she saw leading up to the birth wanted me to pay him 5000 baht after the op in cash is this the norm or what ,, any thoughts please,, ps i havnt paid him yet

many thanks

colino

Congratulations and best wishes but likewise don't know how to answer your question.

I just applied for my son's Irish passport when he was born and didn't bother with registration.

Edited by garro

uk embassey wants 10, 500 to register his birth and get uk birth cert

Registration costs B14,755 but it is not necessary to register his birth if you do not want a UK type birth certificate. Many people consider the only two advantages (claimed by the embassy) are not worth the fee. The Thai birth certificate translated and certified should serve all he will need throughout his life.

It is not a requirement to register his birth in order to apply for a British passport, the cost for the passport is only B4950. You can do it in Bangkok and you should get the passport in 2 weeks. See British Embassy Bangkok

Edited by Mahout Angrit

Firstly, congratulations on the birth of your son.Nice one.

If you are a British Citizen you can apply for a British passport and birth certificate for him through the British Embassy in Thailand.

As he was born in Thailand and his Mum is Thai he will gain Thai citizenship.

You will need to show your birth cert., passport, marriage certificate and produce your sons Thai birth cert .

Your sons birth cert will need to have a translated(into English) , certified copy endorsed by a notary public(solicitor).

I am a Brit and my wife is Thai. We have two daughters that hold Thai and British citizenship.For our second daughter

we did,nt apply for either citizenships in Thailand but both girls have dual nationality.

Take along your missus Tambien Bahn but I doubt that the British Embassy are interested in it.

I have a rule that when I do anything official like this, it is best to take along too much documentation rather than not enough.

Cheers

Edited by soihok

thanks mahout when i get it translated to english do i have to go back to the ampur where we registered him to get it stamped or is there somewhere else you have to go ,

sorry to drone on but well you all no what its like over here something that should take an hour takes a day

thanks again

all

colino

ps its not the money its the principal getting ripped off by the uk even though i dont live there hardly

I have heard about this payment to the doctor at government hospitals. I think it is a way of keeping the cost down and off the books.

For the passport you'll need a certified translation of the birth certificate unless you pony up the 10k+ for registration at the UK Embassy.

thanks mahout when i get it translated to english do i have to go back to the ampur where we registered him to get it stamped or is there somewhere else you have to go ,

You need to get the translation done by a registered licensed translator who will put an official looking stamp on it. (no need to return to the Amphur)

Edit:- For additional info. To apply for the British Passport you will have to prove you are British 'otherwise than by decent' by showing your full (long) Birth Certificate which has your parents names on it.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

Thanks again to all who posted good easy to follow info ,

im still not sure about the doctor though cash in hand brown envelopes and all that,

just for the record total cost from start to finish was 16,780 baht thats from month 2 through to having the baby (blood tests and wee tests scans and op)

ps baby and mum ok he weighed in at 3.215grms

you cant put a price on the little lad he is priceless at the moment maybe not at 3am screaming for food ha ha

Thanks again to all who posted good easy to follow info ,

im still not sure about the doctor though cash in hand brown envelopes and all that,

just for the record total cost from start to finish was 16,780 baht thats from month 2 through to having the baby (blood tests and wee tests scans and op)

ps baby and mum ok he weighed in at 3.215grms

you cant put a price on the little lad he is priceless at the moment maybe not at 3am screaming for food ha ha

Congratulations on the birth of your son. Try to enjoy every moment, even at 3 am, because they grow so fast!

As to the cost, as I recall, my sons birth by C-Section (12 years ago cost B12,000). we attended a pre-natal clinic and the same doctor did the operation, the fees for the clinic were paid for "per visit". At the hospital we had a private room for 3 days. afterwards there was no demand for extra money.

My daughters birth (5 years ago) was also by C-section, again we had a private room in a Government hospital but with the benifit of the "B30" Thai health card. The total cost was B3,500, admittedly it was not the same doctor who did the Op, as the one who ran the clinic which my wife attended during her pregnancy, because we had moved to another area just before the birth. Once again no further fees were asked for.

Anyway congratulations to you and your wife, life takes on a whole new direction from "here on in".

Best regards.

Nibor.

As for the doctors little fee, I guess your wife went to his clinic for her check ups and medicine etc... the fee is for special treatment for your wife!! I have done the same with both my children, just part and parcel of the whole experience!!

Congratulations to you and your wife.

16,780THB is cheap my little fella cost me over 2000gbp four months ago he was born in Qatar, the missus originally wanted to go back to Thailand but it meant I would not be there for the birth. He is worth every penny.

Applying for Passports - British Embassy in Qatar issued his UK passport without any problems two days after presenting my birth certificate showing my parents surnames (as mentioned full birth certificate required) and the new borns Qatar birth certificate.

The only item we had a few problems with was the wife wanted his Birth Certificate to show Thai Nationality, if it read English she said the Thai goverment would not issue him Thai passport? not sure how true this is?

Congratulations on your new born

Edited by ChangMaiSausage