News (nntp) Server From Hinet

prallo

More than likely they don't have a news server !!! You could try one of the pay news servers like newsfeeds.com

Iif you want the mail server iang came up with the answer.

I'm delighted to advise that I received a very prompt reply too from TT&T that the SMTP outgoing email server for their HiNet DSL is mail.cis.cattelecom.com

Unlikely as this address may sound for an SMTP server, I've tried & tested it and it actually works!

Yeah,

I can confirm that.

I spoke with them about 3 months ago (they totally didn't understand me on the phone but did when I emailed them and explained), and they said that they don't have any NNTP servers... sheesh.. ISP provision in Thailand is sorely lacking at the moment :o

If anyone knows otherwise I'd be very interested to hear.

Cheers,

Frak

Very few ISPs (in Thailand or otherwise) have decent NNTP servers. It's just not feasible, since having even one or two high-volume groups can eat up bandwidth fast. If you really want good usenet access, get a pay server. Most are about $10/month for full access, cheaper if you don't access binary groups. News.astraweb.com has a nice deal, with speed limited access (512k), but unlimited volume for $10/month, and pretty much all the groups in the world. With the current state of Thai broadband, I doubt you'll ever notice being speed limited.

Not that many people know about NNTP servers, even though they were here even before HTTP servers. Hardly anyone knows that they're an excellent source of just about any type of file you would want, not to mention good technical information.

Yes, free servers exist, but:

1. They usually come and go, by being shut down, password protected, or just swamped by users (so you have to constantly search for new ones)

2. They don't have complete group or article listings (not by a long shot)

3. They don't have decent transfer rates

If you plan to browse the groups once in a long while, then free servers are OK, do a google search. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.

The thing that people don't realize about "good" usenet service is that it requires several very robust dedicated servers with several gigabytes of ram each and several terabytes of storage. It also needs dedicated bandwidth in the gigabit range. Therefore, it's hard to find any good service that's not pay-per-use, the expenditure is just too high. Pay for it, it's cheaper than your mobile phone bill and gets you a lot if you're a file junkie.

Very few ISPs (in Thailand or otherwise) have decent NNTP servers. It's just not feasible, since having even one or two high-volume groups can eat up bandwidth fast. If you really want good usenet access, get a pay server. Most are about $10/month for full access, cheaper if you don't access binary groups. News.astraweb.com has a nice deal, with speed limited access (512k), but unlimited volume for $10/month, and pretty much all the groups in the world. With the current state of Thai broadband, I doubt you'll ever notice being speed limited.

Not that many people know about NNTP servers, even though they were here even before HTTP servers. Hardly anyone knows that they're an excellent source of just about any type of file you would want, not to mention good technical information.

That news server was nice for a day but they have the same problem a lot of other internet sites have with credit cards. Today they said my account approval was reversed by their fraud department as suspect and I have no intent to call them on my dime to try and change it.

Either my email or access record seems to have been the cause as card is good and used this week for other purchase without trouble. But it is US. As charge was only $10 and approved by my bank you would think they would be willing to take a chargeback if required to gain a new customer. So much for the good customer service of the West compared to here. :o

• 2 months later...
More than likely they don't have a news server !!!  You could try one of the pay news servers like newsfeeds.com

Iif you want the mail server    iang came up with the answer.

I'm delighted to advise that I received a very prompt reply too from TT&T that the SMTP outgoing email server for their HiNet DSL is mail.cis.cattelecom.com

Unlikely as this address may sound for an SMTP server, I've tried & tested it and it actually works!

Who in their right mind would call their business CATTLE com,

unless you are a cattle rancher??

Not many of those in Thailand.