First Visit To Chiang Mai

DavieA

Hi Guys

My wife(Thai) and I want to go to Chiang Mai for the first time next month, and we'll be taking our 8 month old baby girl (We are from the far south and never been to the north). After researching the net for hours on end I am more confused than educated!

For those of you who live there or are experienced in the city, where's the best location to stay? Inside the city walls, Riverside, Near the Night Bazaar? Etc,etc....

Your help is much appriciated.

Regards

Dave :o

With a young child I am guessing that a 3 to 4 star tourist hotel would suit. If you don't have your own transport, then I would say stay in the Night Bazaar area. Which means a hotel on or near Chang Klan Rd. Easy to shop and eat within walking distance, and easy to find tuk tuks and songtaews to get around town.

If you do have your own car, then hotels on the Super Highway or Canal Rd 10 minutes or so away from the Night Bazaar area by car could be OK too. Easier for getting in and out of town to day trip to other spots in the province.

If you are looking for a more budget option, then there are many nice guesthouses inside the old city and just outside it.

I think the opposite. Depending on the type of room you're comfortable with, I recommend staying in/near the old city.

Guesthouses from a few hundred baht. Nicer places for -1000+. And walking or tuk-tuks to just about anywhere. How can you go wrong.

I find the Downtown area great to visit, but too much concrete and traffic for me.

Virachai court is closer to the night bazzar, between Tapae and Chiang Moi... the middle ground, also quite central.

What I suppose we are looking for is somewhere reasonably accessible to most parts of CM. Like i said we will have 9 month old baby so we want to avoid having to catch taxies and songteaws everytime we leave the hotel. Somewhere reasonably peacful without too much constant action going on (i know difficult to find). Comfortable guesthouse or 3=4 star hotel.

I am beginning to think centre of the city square as its in the middle.....any ideas? :o