Another Canadian Dies In Thailand

sriracha john

Thailand is way more dangerous than most people believe... and getting worse every year.

Almost 300 Brits died here last year.

Hmm, well, if you're right - about the same number who died in the twin towers in just a few moments on 9/11. or as Brits would say, 11/9.

I know it's early in 2008, but can I nominate the above post as 'dumbest post of the year' ?

I cant help but wonder if this is common for every nationality and just does not make the news. I find it hard to believe Canadians only.

Sure it will be others too. It just underlines the non-existant reproting that goes on here in Thailand. The fact that Andrew Drummond has to follow a news story for one of the main English-dailies (in a country where only Thais are technically allowed to work as domestic reporters) speaks for itself. We're learning more on ThaiVisa than we are from any Thai news agency/paper etc..

For an eye-opening account of the way the Thai vernacular press works (or doesn't work) here you should read "Politics and the Press in Thailand" by Duncan McCargo.

turkey seems over sexed by these figures ,maybe they dont like there women with moutches

Actually --- the Turkish women (young ones anyway) can be stunning. And many are farily "Westernised". But it's true a lot of European young women and older teens flock to these places (Turkey and Greek Isles) to do the same type of reverse-mongering that Western and Asian guys do in Thailand, Cambodia, Brazil, etc. They used to joke about it with the cliche - stalking the Turkish/Greek Waiter for a shag..or 'holiday romance' as they liked to call it.

I'm not excusing this absolutely incredible rape rates of Brits in Turkey, but I am pointing out that if you go looking for trouble in a sexually conservative country, you may just find it..

and japanese (blond) chicks on the beaches of Bali ....

WOW!! be careful all, Sad RIP

i think all canadians should hide there nationality for a while ,better be safe than sorry

How exactly do you hide your nationality from a swimming pool deck or motorbike?

Other than that the per capita MURDER rate for Canadians in Thailand is still lower than it is in Canada.

i think all canadians should hide there nationality for a while ,better be safe than sorry

I think it's so funny the way many Canadians have a big maple leaf flag stitched to whatever they're wearing/carrying. I know many of them think this sets them out from Americans given a similar accent, but really..it's so naive. Aussies do this a lot too. Like anybody in the destination country gives a rats..

I think it's so funny the way many Canadians have a big maple leaf flag stitched to whatever they're wearing/carrying. I know many of them think this sets them out from Americans given a similar accent, but really..it's so naive. Aussies do this a lot too. Like anybody in the destination country gives a rats..

It is usually a target for con men, as they know mostly naive, first time travellers wear them. What bugs me more though, is Americans who wear Canadian flags on their packs.

Maybe Thai visa should dedicate a page "Murdered in Thailand" and list all of the poor people killed over here. Not sure how long the site would be available for until was blocked by the Thai "Internet Police".

This woman died in an accident. Perhaps you should post this in a more appropriate thread?

Maybe Thai visa should dedicate a page "Murdered in Thailand" and list all of the poor people killed over here. Not sure how long the site would be available for until was blocked by the Thai "Internet Police".

This woman died in an accident. Perhaps you should post this in a more appropriate thread?

People were discussing Murders also, so seemed appropriate.

yes, true, which I find inappropriate as well. Families tend to find these kinds of threads and I would hate to see the poor family of this woman find this thread and the absolute disregard shown for her death found here by some posters.

Thailand is way more dangerous than most people believe... and getting worse every year.

Almost 300 Brits died here last year.

Hmm, well, if you're right - about the same number who died in the twin towers in just a few moments on 9/11. or as Brits would say, 11/9.

I know it's early in 2008, but can I nominate the above post as 'dumbest post of the year' ?

Hi Guy.

If you are meaning my post, then you try to find some other way of putting tragedies in proportion when they involve foreigners working or holidaying in someone else's allegedly 'safe' nation.

Hmmm?

yes, true, which I find inappropriate as well. Families tend to find these kinds of threads and I would hate to see the poor family of this woman find this thread and the absolute disregard shown for her death found here by some posters.

A google search on her name returns this thread as the #1 result.

First off,my condolences to the families and loved ones of these unfortunate victims.

Its an ever growing world ,and while we all hope to one day be able to see it through travel,(or at least those of us that enjoy travel);with those wonderful travel experiences also go the same risks-be they calculated or not.

I live in Edmonton,Alberta Canada ,and to date there have been 5 murders in the metro area.This number doesnt incl

ude any accidents of any nature--I'm merely showing That I don't have to travel to Thailand to have to be in a environment that has its pos

sibilities for disaster.

Speaking for myself only,I have to admit (sadly that is) that when I'm in LOS or S.E.A for that matter,I do seem to have a little more of a reckless attitude,unwarranted obviously and very naive too.

I think that its a feeling of escape that lets me  let my hair down too much or too often--due in part to working hard all year or longer -to finally be in Los and enjoy "paradise"--yet really I should be as diligent as I am at home.

Of course ,as in some of these cases-you cant plan for accidents.they happen and they are sometimes tragic.I wish I had a better answer than that...but I'm just some guy from Edmonton.

All I'm saying is Thailand is starting to get a bad rap here(Canada) thanks to the media,though its not the country,its the various people's paths that happen to cross --while IN Thailand.I will continue to travel to Thailand as long as I'm able to or wish to,its an amazing country with amazing people and amazing experiences!

Amazing Thailand !

No matter where I am ,I'll try to Live safe and live happy and hopefully I get a chance to grow old.

Thanks for letting me toss in my 2 cents,

FarangRussIam

Heartfelt condolences to the family in their tragic loss.

Any swimming pool is a hazard - from many aspects!

For the unwary in a hurry, it's so easy to slip and fall very hard.

That's why they usually ban children from running near a pool. (here in Oz anyway)

Most western-build pools will have the safety aspect covered in pool construction.

The area around the pool (that gets wet) should have "non-slip" surfaces.

Very sad,indeed.

My condolences to the Kimber family- a young and beautiful woman taken away.

Vancouver and Vancouver Island television stations and newspapers have been covering the recent Canadian deaths.

Del Pinto's Calgary family has been calling for a Thailand boycott.

Travel shows have been talking about the dangers of travel in Thailand.

Dale Henry's brother and Dale have been on the tube-a lot.

Widen the net - go to the US TV networks - and don't forget the big US agenda-setters, like TIME and the NY Times..They love to do this kind of feature. But I still think the best bet is to shame the Canadian Govt for not making a bigger stink 'publicly' about Thailand. They really, really, hate that kind of pressure/publicity..and sooner or later would need to respond in the interest of the Canadian families ' publicly.

And what would the point of that be? What warning could the Canadian government give about Thailand?

What underlying link is there in the following cases?

Pai shootings: Off-duty policeman shoots two foreigners (with discussion on what led up to this incident best left for the relevant thread).

Ranong: Unscrupulous wife has her husband murdered to collect on his life insurance policy.

Chiang Mai: Professor shot in back of songthaew... No clear reports on what happened there, accidental if I remember reports correctly.

Somewhere in Thailand: This young woman dying under what appears to be accidental circumstances.

So how would you word a warning to Canadians about Thailand?

It seems that as sad as these cases are for the individual families involved there is no overarching danger to Canadians in Thailand. No responsible publication would run with a sensationalist story on the "dangers of Thailand" based on isolated and unrelated incidents such as these. You'd end up with a report like that on how Thailand is the "most dangerous place in the world for Britons" one, where statistics (which in that case were solid) are brought in to give a fright regardless of the actual context of the incidents they represent.

I think the government of Canada realizes that and is doing its best to balance good common sense with respecting the sensitivities of those involved in these tragic incidents. On that note, and more on topic for the subject of this thread, my condolences to the family of this young woman. Tragic indeed.

As inflation rates continue to sharply increase in Thailand and prices rise on everything, crime levels will escalate.

Farangs are seen here as being rich and can become prime targets for money related crimes.

Although Thailand is still a safer place to live than many other countries in the world, it is worth being more vigilante with security

• 2 months later...

My sister was one of the girls who was with her there. There were 4 of them that went and only 3 came home. They were all best friends. They have known each other since they were in like the 3rd grade.. Tara was so pretty and funny and she was one of the sweetest girls you will ever meet - she was nice to everybody.

There were no drugs involved, nobody murdered her, it was a completely freak accident. She hit her head 2 weeks before this happened, which in turn dislodged a blod clot in her brain. Then, roughly two weeks later, she was with the girls and she simply passed out, like dropped. There was nothing anyone can do.. She was in Koh Phagnan she passed away...

I still cant believe it happened. This one hit really close to home..

RIP T.K. :o

alcorona...so sorry to you and the friends and family. Death is so hard to come to terms with.

I lost my brother Dale in Thailand.

It is a beautiful Country and that is why he chose to reside there.

I hope you all find peace in that, she was probably doing something that made her very happy... Living out her dreams.

Sincerely,

Mary-Jane

It serves to reinforce the importance of accuracy, a concept that often gets bypassed on internet boards.

And also in newspaper reporting. :o

None of the original quotes said that she died 2 weeks AFTER the fall.

In ThaiVisa we to try to avoid unsubstantiated stories.

Astral