Police Id Check

MrJay

The other day a police officer brought a form to my house and said fill it in.my woman too a look and said no good,because they wanted every little detail about me,ie height weight skin colour address thai and england nose shape chin shape eye colour eyebrow size earsize ugly or handsome ect ect,my misses said some of thr qUestions were a joke,and to top it off a recent photo,the cop said for farang who stay 6 month or more and too take care of them.....what does take care of them mean,all im thinking is the day before an english guy was arrested near me,he gave his girl some money and asked the family to make him a decent farang toilet,i dont know what they did but he apparently snapped and wrecked the place tith a sledge hammer,anyhow he was arrested,and hes gone thats all i know been 2 his house a few times no sign of him,im just wondering is it in regards to this mattter,or have my fellow expats had to fill in this so called police form....any info anyone?????

No, I do not think it is just you. One week ago a policeman came around to our house in Surin with an A4 sized book and wanted to know if I was a long-stay farang. My wife fielded the questions and he entered some basic details in his book. There were 7 previous entries above my details - all farangs on long-stay in the same area of Surin.

When I asked my wife what that was all about she said she didn't really know. Call me paranoid if you like but I did not like the idea of having my personal details listed in a Police Register without knowing why. Our next door neigbour is also a policeman and my wife asked him what was behind the other policeman's enquiries.

Our neigbour did some checking the next day and confirmed his early reply. "Big Policeman in Bangkok wants the local police to check on long-stay and potential illegal immigrants from Laos and Cambodia - not from Western countries." The order had come down from on high earlier in the previous week. He went on to say the other policeman was a complete idiot, as was the Pu Yai Baan who knew nothing of the activities of the other policeman. He said the police were not interested in Western nationalities, only the illegal migrant workers from neigbouring Asian countries.

Maybe your local policeman's action is OTT and he is even more of an idiot than our village policeman. At least our neigbour's (policeman) explanation sounds plausible but who really knows what it's all about?

Edited by Nomad97

Yesterday I was at the Buri Ram police station to get a security clearance to renew my 5 year driving license. They gave me the clearance OK but said that they did not have me on their computer and it is a requirement for all foreigners, apart from short term visitors, to register with their local police station and advise them that you are still there every 6 months or so.

I can see the advantages if i get sick or have an accident or die and I've certainly got nothing to hide.

This is my home and i am a member of the community so why would I not register with the local cops. All Thais over 15 years old have an ID card and the government knows everything about them and there is some form of registration in most other countries - smart card, driving license, electoral roll etc etc.

I make no judgement on this. These are my thoughts and of course some will agree and some will disagree. So be it.

Local police stopped in my Village a few months back, My wife answered his questions. I asked why the questions and the translation was all long stay Forangs had to be interviewed so the police would know they were OK.

They also stopped at the next village interviewed my friend who told me they were there a year or so ago and that they were suppose to check all Forangs at least once a year.

Seems like a reasonable thing to me. I have no problem with it.

Part of me agrees that there is no harm in registering at the police station. I have nothing to hide either. However i find that when i am driving / cycling in Issan the police target me, (and other farangs), and i am regularly stopped in an attempt for them to take money from me. Because of this i would rather the police know as little as possible of my whereabouts.

Nidge.

I stay here on a non imm "O" extended on the basis of marriage to Thai National, so the police are supposed to a check annually when I renew my visa, other than that I know of no checkups and have certainly never been stopped by police. However, I do have a police check point box on my gate post.

Yesterday I was at the Buri Ram police station to get a security clearance to renew my 5 year driving license. They gave me the clearance OK but said that they did not have me on their computer and it is a requirement for all foreigners, apart from short term visitors, to register with their local police station and advise them that you are still there every 6 months or so.

I can see the advantages if i get sick or have an accident or die and I've certainly got nothing to hide.

This is my home and i am a member of the community so why would I not register with the local cops. All Thais over 15 years old have an ID card and the government knows everything about them and there is some form of registration in most other countries - smart card, driving license, electoral roll etc etc.

I make no judgement on this. These are my thoughts and of course some will agree and some will disagree. So be it.

This is interesting. I mean, having to "advise them [= the local police] that you are still there every 6 months or so" in addition, presumably, to notifying immigration police every 3 months. I guess immigration and regular police don't share the same computer database; this is such an old story in Thailand: government agencies not talking to each other. What a bloody waste of taxpayers' money.

I stay here on a Permanent Resident Permit. I am required to report at the local Police station every 5 years with an updated photo. Nothing else required.

There are regular roadside checks of all vehicles, but generally I find that having slowed down, and been seen as a farang by the policeman I am waved on. On the rare occasions when everyone is stopped, I smilingly produce my Thai drivers licence, and there generally follows a light hearted conversation, usually involving football teams. I have never been asked for money.

I have long since told my wife that if anyone comes to the house requiring personal information about me, she must tell them nothing and insist they come back when I am there. I once received a telephone call from someone telling me they were calling from the Thai tax office and needed info on my income, pensions etc. I politely told them that if they really needed to know, then either they should visit me in person with full ID, or write to me. I heard nothing further.

It's all good information although it obviously varies from Amphur to Amphur.

With regard to Police stopping me on the road i have always had the same experience as Prakonchai nick. I guess i have been stopped in Isaan about 5 times since Christmas.

Never a problem, produce my Thai driving license and answer a few questions, politely I might add and then drive on. I have never been asked for money. The standard question is "Where you from?" and i am never sure how to answer that one. If I name my village i usually get a smile and then tell them my country and they are happy.

It's all good information although it obviously varies from Amphur to Amphur.

With regard to Police stopping me on the road i have always had the same experience as Prakonchai nick. I guess i have been stopped in Isaan about 5 times since Christmas.

Never a problem, produce my Thai driving license and answer a few questions, politely I might add and then drive on. I have never been asked for money. The standard question is "Where you from?" and i am never sure how to answer that one. If I name my village i usually get a smile and then tell them my country and they are happy.

I have the same experience. Have driven all over Isaan, central and northern Thailand. Never been asked for money, but rightfully been caught speeding a few times, and paid 100/200 baht.

I have a sticker with the Norwegian flag in the front window, and some times the opening phrase from the BIB is.........."halo Nolaway", :o followed by polite greetings, after showing my Thai license! :D

The local BIB are much more subtle than that in Udon..... A police guy came to the house on the 14th, and gave me a Valentine Card (with my name and address in Thai on the envelope). Inside was a card wishing me a happy valantine and a picture and signature of the top Police Guys in Udon, telling me that they were "thinking" of me. ...... To prove that it had been delivered I had to have my photo taken with the cop who delivered it ! Just infront of the house was suggested as a perfect place for the photo, together with house number and car reg in the background ........ hmmmmmmmmmm

This is my fifth year here now and I think three times my wife has mentioned the police came by and wanted info about me, I think they said I had to register because I live here. I have never seen them myself and don't really know what my wife has told them. Issangeorge

my farang friends further down the road say its just burriram region,around 7 farang sat at a table by the road side the local cop gave them all the form and said only buriram,not korat,regards to incase have an accident or something happen to the farang whilst out alone,personally i dont mind myself,as long as its not blighty checkin up my whereabouts.....

I have been living here in Issan (Kalasin) for almost 6 years now, and have never been approached or bothered with any questioning from the local Boys in Brown... We do know several Socially and often (maybe once every two months) have them visit for various reasons, have never had any questions nor requests for photos or any such nonsense...

Pianoman

Thin end of the wedge this list business IMO. Could be used for protection purposes or could be used for more sinister purposes. The point is that you are being clocked and filed within an institution known to enjoy keeping lists on people. Well, just hope Sgt Noppadon and pals never gets confused over which list they're supposed to refer to, now Chalerm has given the green light on Toxin's Drug War again. :o

The houseohlder must notify the local cops of the farang in their house within 24 hours of the farang's arrival.

We have done it once when I was in Uttaradit and once in Khun Han (form TM 30)

Never had anything else as checks at home from the police

Road ID checks are another story

No problem in Ubon area, now days coppies do stop me time to time just to tell me slow down,,no money involved.

Regarding house check,, never in last 12yrs no coppies come to our house and check me out, abt 10yrs ago, they call to our wifes parents house and ask if we can pay them a visit in the station when we have time as they needed some info to BKK office all papers where shown to me and after wifey traslate every question i wrote the answer and sign the paper's.

Very friendly coppies here.

As part of the "visa extension based on having a Thai wife" actually requires having a Thai wife, the BIB are supposed to regularly, (every couple of years in my case) check and verify that you are co-habiting with the person on your immigration form.

No hassle as the BIB are known to me personally and the visit normally involves having a beer when they come round.

I had the police visit me just 1 hour ago. Same policeman who came about 18 months ago, and once again he asked the same questions.

I queried why he wanted this info again, and he replied that it was never recorded first time!!!

As well as general questions as to whether I was working and where I obtained my money, he wanted a copy of passport, house registration and my other documents relative to staying in Thailand.

Seems he had documents for other farangs in the area

I'm outside Prakhonchai 13 km, and had the visit yesterday, the policeman - who was in uniform - and is actually our local copper, left the form and will call back at a later date to pick up the photocopies.

No problems, have done it twice in 5 years.

Today I was at Kap Cheong to extend my O visa for another year and asked the officer there about the check, he said its just for security.

I had the police visit me just 1 hour ago. Same policeman who came about 18 months ago, and once again he asked the same questions.

I queried why he wanted this info again, and he replied that it was never recorded first time!!!

As well as general questions as to whether I was working and where I obtained my money, he wanted a copy of passport, house registration and my other documents relative to staying in Thailand.

Seems he had documents for other farangs in the area

this was a thread last year. i had two cops call at the farm for protection money, i walked away as thats not good for me, told wifey to tell em get lost, ok they say, we come back next month, next month same same. . now they are intrigued, arrive round my house with a box of beer. at a later date they took me wifey niece out for a meal, the boss copper paid. later the subordinate one comes with a fist full of papers and asks all the questions, then wants a list of houshold goods and valuables, no way hosa. i,ll call at the station to speake to top man, ok,ok i,ll ask someone else. well they have both been posted now so dont see them anymore.. what do you think a shopping list.

This is not the same details as the Possessions thread last year!

This form HAS to be filled in and DOES NOT request any details about Possessions and is for updating the police database on foreigners in the Province of Buriram.

So that if you fall down a hole in your farm and die then they know which embassy to contact !

If you refuse to complete it then you may experience a visit from a higher ranking official and a deeper investigation into your circumstances.

Its not a scam

this was a thread last year. i had two cops call at the farm for protection money, i walked away as thats not good for me, told wifey to tell em get lost, ok they say, we come back next month, next month same same. . now they are intrigued, arrive round my house with a box of beer. at a later date they took me wifey niece out for a meal, the boss copper paid. later the subordinate one comes with a fist full of papers and asks all the questions, then wants a list of houshold goods and valuables, no way hosa. i,ll call at the station to speake to top man, ok,ok i,ll ask someone else. well they have both been posted now so dont see them anymore.. what do you think a shopping list.

I find he topic a little disturbing.It never happened to me in the 6 years I'm residing in Udon and believe the three-monthly visit by the Imm.should be enough:they are Royal Thai Police too and every registered Farang is in theyr database.

Asked yesterday a friend that works in the Criminal Police,but his answer was not really satisfying;he said:don't you worry,we know all about you already. :o

Nearly five years now in the boonies of Loei province and no one has ever ever asked any questions. Maybe my third rule of life in Thailand works. That rule is to keep a low profile and to mind my own business.

I am in Buriram but not had a recent visit. Six months ago 4 came and wanted to see my passport. I asked my wife what they wanted and my father in law told her that they just wanted to know if i was happy. However I was stopped on the way to Surin (on the way to Kap Chong to do 90 day report) by the police at a road block. Driving licence (I have my new swipe card style 5 year Thai licence), they didnt seem happy. Passport (luckily I was on the way to report so i had it) Not Happy. Get out of the truck, we want to check it. So I waited while they went through the glove compartment etc. Not a problem to me ..... just very strange. Ok on your way goodbye.

Edited by andylee

Yes the reporting w/i 24 hours is the law -just that hardly anybody knows about it . The Nong Khai Immigration lately is hot on seeing the stamped and signed reporting papers even if you only want a paper to renew your drivers licence etc.

So we did it , --in Udon at the main police station they have an officer for foreigners -2 minutes ,stamp -done . No, no good you have to go to the police in your Amphur. Ok -Nong Wua So has an abundance of falangs,should be no problem,but.... the police at Amphur had never seen a form like this ,did not know what to do with it . They eventually copied in long hand ,the entire form ,signed and stamped it - which of course was rejected as " the work of the stupid buffaloes at the police office "(end quote.)

I guess each amphur does want they want ,just go with the flow ,but yes-do not let them ride roughshot over you.