My Cbr Is Naked

canuckamuck

I finally started my CBR upgrade this week. I took off the body parts and crought them to my buddy at the paint shop. I also have some decaling nearly worked out.

I thought I might show the progress to initiate some of the other CBR'rs to take a shot at personalizing their ride.

Here is how she looked after 4.5 years and two crashes and also how she looks undressed.

Stay tuned.

post-10408-1204252632_thumb.jpg

post-10408-1204252653_thumb.jpg

Edited by Crow Boy
change of thread title by OP request

I finally started my CBR upgrade this week. I took off the body parts and crought them to my buddy at the paint shop. I also have some decaling nearly worked out.

I thought I might show the progress to initiate some of the other CBR'rs to take a shot at personalizing their ride.

Here is how she looked after 4.5 years and two crashes and also how she looks undressed.

Stay tuned.

I don't think you've got it broken down far enough. You're going to paint the frame a flaming hot pink, aren't you? :o I'm torn as to wether or not I want to personalise the paint scheme on my bike. You don't see too many of these metallic yellow CBRs around.

Well the frame paint is immaculate, So I am gonna leave it alone. A pink bike would be a lot of fun, but I have an idea I want to pursue in a different color. Maybe you should guess?

I am going to make some performance mods later, I just need to find time to get to Bangkok. It won't be for at least a month. I will swap the exhaust and maybe the CDI. I am gonna alter the air filter myself, add more filtered area on a stock filter (there is room). After that, I guess one day I'll bore it out , put on a larger carb and change the sprocket ratio. But I would have to be quite bored to go that far.

I hope to have the next photo on Monday when I reassemble for the first time.

Edited by canuckamuck

Pearl Metallic Candy Apple Green? Maybe with some Tangerine orange pin-striped flames? :o

I'm sorry, I'm evil!

Not as far off as you might think, but not green.

Bino: I also noticed it looks like a Sonic now, I think they share a lot of parts

looks like a scooter to me

keep it that way, it would now look like a real scooter and not a poser

A poser? And what do you ride? If it's a sports bike less than a liter, is it a poser also? If it's a cruiser less than a Harley's *insert biggest engine size here* is it a poser? If it's a dual sport less than one of those honking big BMWs or KTMs is it a poser also? Not in the least. For it's class, here in Thailand, the CBR 150R is THE sports bike. For having some 1/2 the power of bikes 3 times as large, and being 1/2 the weight, I'd say Honda did a pretty good job. And a few cheap mods could probably get you up to 1/2 the power....netting you a bike that has the same power/weight ratio at a MUCH cheaper and probably much more LEGAL ride.

The biggest problem with the CBR 150R is its top speed. However, in the city where most of them are ridden, I've never seen one show up as a poser, even by much bigger bikes. In Bang Na, I was able to pull away from a CBR 600 simply because I was able to thread through lanes he wasn't able to or willing to. Granted, if we were in the countryside and he was able to really open it up, I would have had a magnificent view of his arse side, but that would have been at very illegal speeds. Not to mention that his fuel consumption compared to mine isn't really, well a comparison.

looks like a scooter to me

keep it that way, it would now look like a real scooter and not a poser

A poser? And what do you ride? If it's a sports bike less than a liter, is it a poser also? If it's a cruiser less than a Harley's *insert biggest engine size here* is it a poser? If it's a dual sport less than one of those honking big BMWs or KTMs is it a poser also? Not in the least. For it's class, here in Thailand, the CBR 150R is THE sports bike. For having some 1/2 the power of bikes 3 times as large, and being 1/2 the weight, I'd say Honda did a pretty good job. And a few cheap mods could probably get you up to 1/2 the power....netting you a bike that has the same power/weight ratio at a MUCH cheaper and probably much more LEGAL ride.

The biggest problem with the CBR 150R is its top speed. However, in the city where most of them are ridden, I've never seen one show up as a poser, even by much bigger bikes. In Bang Na, I was able to pull away from a CBR 600 simply because I was able to thread through lanes he wasn't able to or willing to. Granted, if we were in the countryside and he was able to really open it up, I would have had a magnificent view of his arse side, but that would have been at very illegal speeds. Not to mention that his fuel consumption compared to mine isn't really, well a comparison.

Well said :o

I hope the day never comes, when my standards fall so low that I buy a scooter, and put some pretty stickers on it, pull off the head lights, use a baby bottle for a fuel tank, trim the seat.... and think to myself I got me a Fast ride, babe magnet etc.

I hope the day never comes, when my standards fall so low that I buy a scooter, and put some pretty stickers on it, pull off the head lights, use a baby bottle for a fuel tank, trim the seat.... and think to myself I got me a Fast ride, babe magnet etc.

Wow, you seem to have issues......hope you can get them resolved.

I hope the day never comes when I need to define my virility by the items I purchase or by mocking people anonymously on the internet.

Dave Boo explained quite well the logic behind owning the CBR150: suited for Thai urban traffic like no other, inexpensive, fast enough for 95% of all conditions here, available low cost parts, and it has some DNA from its cooler big brothers.

BTW a babe magnet in Thailand is anything attached to a 500 baht note. So stop overcompensating for your shortcomings and get some self confidence.

Hi :o

If you're going to change the main colour of the bike, could you please let me know about the procedures to legalize that? Because i think it's definitely about time for my bike to get a different paint job too, now that i've got the rear disc brake and got some real high-tech looking hand levers on the way from Singapore..... all that's stopping me from wielding the spray can is that stupid law that says the vehicle must stay in the colour it was delivered in!

I know it is possible to have a change in colour legalized, but i want to know "how" and, even more important, "how much does it cost".

With best regards....

Thanh

Hi :o

If you're going to change the main colour of the bike, could you please let me know about the procedures to legalize that? Because i think it's definitely about time for my bike to get a different paint job too, now that i've got the rear disc brake and got some real high-tech looking hand levers on the way from Singapore..... all that's stopping me from wielding the spray can is that stupid law that says the vehicle must stay in the colour it was delivered in!

I know it is possible to have a change in colour legalized, but i want to know "how" and, even more important, "how much does it cost".

With best regards....

Thanh

Yes I will let you know, I have a Thai friend here who is very familiar with the process, when he walks me through it I will tell it here.

BTW I will be picking up the body parts today so the decaling will begin this week.

What do you guys think? maybe a bunch of those manditory bullet holes and a harley emblem? I also need to find room for one of those rescue guys carrying that woman. And of course I have to include a bunch of performance parts stickers for things I don't have on my bike. I'm just trying to fit in you know.

A HARLEY emblem on a HONDA..??????????????????????????????????????

Ever heard about the term "identity crisis"? Not the human one. It refers to cars which have been "stickered" to death by owners who have no clue what the stickers are for. Like my neighbour who drives an old Nissan with a huge "TRD" windscreen sticker. TRD = TOYOTA Racing Development. Or those Honda Civic's with "WRX" badges - slightly Subaru, that is. Same goes for Nissan Cefiro "Type R" (Honda!) or Honda "VVTi" (Toyota!) badged cars.

And now you want to punish that poor Honda with a sticker from the heavy-metal tractor company HD? Please don't - it would be unfair to both makes. Plus it'll attract hand grenades and other objects from REAL HD riders - the hardcore kind :o

By the way "racing stickers" will actually make the bike go SLOWER! Better create what's known as a "sleeper"....... high performance parts but NO stickers, make it look stock. And at the lights when the one with the stickers is beside you, show him who rules :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

A HARLEY emblem on a HONDA..??????????????????????????????????????

Ever heard about the term "identity crisis"? Not the human one. It refers to cars which have been "stickered" to death by owners who have no clue what the stickers are for. Like my neighbour who drives an old Nissan with a huge "TRD" windscreen sticker. TRD = TOYOTA Racing Development. Or those Honda Civic's with "WRX" badges - slightly Subaru, that is. Same goes for Nissan Cefiro "Type R" (Honda!) or Honda "VVTi" (Toyota!) badged cars.

And now you want to punish that poor Honda with a sticker from the heavy-metal tractor company HD? Please don't - it would be unfair to both makes. Plus it'll attract hand grenades and other objects from REAL HD riders - the hardcore kind :o

By the way "racing stickers" will actually make the bike go SLOWER! Better create what's known as a "sleeper"....... high performance parts but NO stickers, make it look stock. And at the lights when the one with the stickers is beside you, show him who rules :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

You know I was kidding right?

OK phase 1 complete. I reassembled the bike today, (put her clothes back on) and I thought I would share the new look. It is a false candy orange, You can't tell too much from the photos but it looks great up close and in the sun it displays many shades of orange. The lower half is pearlescent black. The windscreen will be put on last, I ordered a new one.

I will deliver the graphic files to my sticker guy tommorow. The next part will take a few days, this guy never has work done on time.

The paint so far has cost me 2,900 baht. not bad I thought.

post-10408-1204626161_thumb.jpg

post-10408-1204626195_thumb.jpg

OK phase 1 complete. I reassembled the bike today, (put her clothes back on) and I thought I would share the new look. It is a false candy orange, You can't tell too much from the photos but it looks great up close and in the sun it displays many shades of orange. The lower half is pearlescent black. The windscreen will be put on last, I ordered a new one.

I will deliver the graphic files to my sticker guy tommorow. The next part will take a few days, this guy never has work done on time.

The paint so far has cost me 2,900 baht. not bad I thought.

Canuck,

Wow, it looks fantastic! Congrats. Do you live in the CM area? If so, where is the paint shop?

T_Dog

Canuck,

Wow, it looks fantastic! Congrats. Do you live in the CM area? If so, where is the paint shop?

T_Dog

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it too.

Sorry but I live in Chonburi province just outside of Sriracha. I think any paint shop can do this though, I did a lot of it myself: I Chose the paint and brought it to them, I took all the body parts off and delivered them.

All they had to do was get rid of the original decals prime it and spray it.

Pearl Metallic Candy Apple Green? Maybe with some Tangerine orange pin-striped flames? :o

I'm sorry, I'm evil!

Not as far off as you might think, but not green.

Bino: I also noticed it looks like a Sonic now, I think they share a lot of parts

My brother has a 'super sonic'..

Sonic frame with a CBR 150 engine, front forks, and rear swing arm.. Plus the CBR headlight cluster zip tied on to it.. Total rat bike but small, twisty and with the CBR power..

what does a new bike like that cost?

A new CBR150 is around 65,000 baht. You can find used ones with around 5000 KM on the odometer for between 35KB and 40KB. It is a great bike with solid performance which is perfect for those of us that "hope we never see the day" that we have to pay in the hundreds of thousands for a fast and fun ride. Get one... you will have a blast!

If your larger framed get a test ride tho.. I am not a strangely big guy 6'3" and 105 kgs.. but a 150 is physically too small to be really comfy on, will say tho even with my big lump on it, still pulls along ok.

I hope the day never comes when I need to define my virility by the items I purchase or by mocking people anonymously on the internet.

Dave Boo explained quite well the logic behind owning the CBR150: suited for Thai urban traffic like no other, inexpensive, fast enough for 95% of all conditions here, available low cost parts, and it has some DNA from its cooler big brothers.

BTW a babe magnet in Thailand is anything attached to a 500 baht note. So stop overcompensating for your shortcomings and get some self confidence.

And walking in many cases can beat the traffic conditions too.... what does a pair of tricked out sneakers cost?

Look I am not bashing you.... I just can't understand the deisire to pretend to have something more than a scooter. But hey, it is your money... so run with it.

A CBR 150 is far more than a 'scooter'.. I do tend to smirk a little myself when they are described as 'sportbikes' but I guess sport comes in many weight classes..

The reason why a 150 makes a lot of sense here is on a cost reward basis.. Since being here I have had a CBR400 NC29 (absolute screamer but a little small for me) a CB400 (great bike, enjoyed it a lot, was a long term loan from a friend out of the country and didnt want to give that back) and have rented larger sportbikes and BMW 650 GS etc.. All of these are 'real' bikes but rarely could I use any of them faster than I could go on a CBR150. Then on the plus side the CBR is cheap to maintain, cheap bits, easy to have fixed anywhere for anything. Good in traffic etc. Its a hair too small for me and I am not overly keen on its styling but those are bother personal issues.

Theres a sweet spot in cost, size and speed, and a 150 CBR is right there in that position (if your not much over 6 ft).