A Couple Of Questions...

Chris_2178

Hello,

I have a couple of questions about Thailand:

1. What voltage do they use? For charging things like an mp3 player or whatever.

what plug adapter is it? US, Euro etc...

2. Whats your recommended method of mosquito repellant? Do you think you definitely need a mosquito net as well as repellant?

I am sure some more will come to me at some point...

Thanks!

Mosquitos: In some malaria-infested areas near Cambodia you should use all protection available, otherwise, depends on your sensitivity, time of year and area you visit. In Bangkok I find it sufficient to keep doors and windows closed around sunset, a mosquito coil will do outside in the evenings.

As spee said, there have been threads covering these subjects, should be easy enough to dig up with the search options.

I recommend Sketolene.

A local product in spray form.

Just spray a little on your arms and legs and the bu----rs will leave you alone.

Check the screens in your room and spary the room 1-2 hours before retiring.

Most tourist areas are malaria free, but if you do get a fever that does not subside in 24 hours go straight to the Doctor. He will know how to treat you.

Edited by astral

Most tourist areas are malaria free

I think it is a mistake to suggest that tourist areas are free of malaria...There is no part of Thailand free of malaria- or Dengue fever. There are cases of malaria every year in all areas, but in places like Chiang Mai, dengue fever is actually endemic, as it also is in many other areas where tourists go...Often this is alleged to be spread by the movement of Burmese/Cambodian/Lao workers who've been infected with the disease, and mozzies feed on them, further spreading the disease...

Generally, Dengue mozzies strike in the day, malarial mozzies at night. If you're worried, use some protection both day and night. I've never used any protection, I live in Chiang Mai (18 years), and I've never had any problem. But friends have, including one who was infected twice with Dengue- inside Chiang Mai city itself. Best to be aware and use some protection, I'd say.

AIr Con kills the buggers. Failing that, use mossie netting on your windows. In a city like BKK you'll probably be OK in doors if the door/window is shut and a fan is on pointing at you while sleeping. IOn the sticks I always use a net and spray it with Deet an hour or so before hitting the ... er ... floor. I use a coil if I possible. Outside, a fire or coil works fine. I don't get bitten much as I'm a veggie (that's my supposition anyway), the meat eaters get all the fun! :D . Never bothered with drugs as I think the side effects (of continual use) are much worse than the risk of malaria (so I've been told).

My dad-in-law has a form of malaria (there are 4) that comes back every year (2 forms do this). He got it whilst serving in the Cambodian jungle. He's OK with some quinine and a few late mornings/early nights.

Electric is 240 Volts 15 Amp. It is those horrendously dangerous two flat pin plugs that half hang out of the sockets. :o