English Libraries And Entertainment In Bkk

NewtoBKK

Hi All,

I have been trawling the various BKK-related forums for the past weeks in preparation for my move to BKK... and I must say that this forum is the most informative and active that I have come across!

Have checked out almost every BKK-related section in this forum but have not come across this bit of information that I'm (or rather, my wife) dying to have - Are there public or university (or others?)libraries in BKK that have English books (fiction and non-fiction) available for loan?

And if there are, where are they and can foreigners borrow from these libraries?

Also, is there any central resource/website where I can check for the current Engslih language entertainment/activities in BKK?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give!

Thailand has no effective system of public lending libraries and certainly not in the English language.

There is 1 good private lending library in Bangkok. This is the Neilson Hays Library on Surawong Road. Membership is 2500 Baht per year and they have a wide collection of books. Their phone number is 02-231-1731.

I'm not sure what other English language activities you are interested in. You need to be aware the percentage of the Thai population who are fluent in English is tiny. Thus you will be limited in your choice of things like theatre in English.

If you can be more specific, many here will be happy to help.

A public lending scheme is unlikely here as Thais, as a rule, rarely read. Those that do read in English proberbly have enough money to buy new books.

There are many second hand book shops here with good selections.

As for entertainment, try Guru and the other 'whats on' guides. They are in English and pretty good too.

:o As a volunteer at Neilson Hayes Library I highly reccommend one joining, there is a reduction for people

over 65..they have a wonderful book fair twice yearly, next one being in May..cheap and good range of books

available, they also have a monthly art exhibition..activities on Saturday morning for kids, a bewdiful outdoor

garden and terrace and a coffee shop...each month they have a list of new acquisitions and are happy to receive any donations in the form of books or baht..it is a non profit organisation but provides a great resources for those of us

for whom books still form an integral part of life...there I have done my plug for a place that I call home!

Dukkha :D

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice, we will certainly check out the Hayes library! Do you have any recommendations onn good second hand book stores as well?

It is purely from a practicality viewpoint that we aren't keen on buying new books - my wife reads 3 books a week on average (and that's when she has a full-time job!) and I read one... and considering that she may not work when we go over to BKK, this will work out to be a massive number of books that we have to buy (and ship back when we leave!).

As for entertainment, yes, we are looking at stuff like theatre, musicals, exhibitions, seminars... and even local or regional (indochina) tours conducted in English. And, a good methodist or pres church with services in English.

BTW, do the forummers here have regular meet-ups over coffee or dinner?

many good used bookshops on and near khaosan road

even on the street of soi rambutri where you can haggle

some guesthouses have 'free books'

travelers leave behind

best thing is take a book and leave a book

be sure to read the friday entertainment / real time section of the bangkok post as well as guru in the firday edition

there is at least one other free entertainment paper at some starbucks and other establishments

not sure of the name, someone can help here maybe

many things to do in bkk

My favourite used bookstore is Dasa Book Cafe on Sukhumvit between soi 26 & 28, not far from Phrom Phong BTS station.

All their stock is second hand books in English with maybe a few in European languages as well.

They also serve good coffee and pastries!

There are a variety of churches in BKK which have english-language services:

International Church, Bangkok - sort of mainstream Presbyterian/Lutheran

Christ Church Bangkok - Anglican/Episcopal, but VERY "Low Church!"

Calvary Baptist - American-style Baptist Church

Evangelical Church of Bangkok

All of them welcome people of any denomination.

There are no Methodist Churches in Thailand.

For concerts and theatre, check out Bangkok Concerts Website

G

Edited by grtaylor