How to pay cashless at 7-11?

Hey guys, I have been travelling in Thailand for a few months, and my go-to place for a midnight snack is always 7-11. I can see some people paying with their mobile phones. Do you guys know how it works and how we can do that? I appreciate all the help. Cheers.

spacer.png

Posted (edited)

Google wallet, or the iPhone version.  Either will work and you can use a non-Thai debit card assuming you have one.  Should mention it's a contactless "Tap" payment rather than the more common "S-can".  And not all 7-11's will be so familiar with tap payments.  

Edited by Upnotover
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

TrueMoney app.

Ha.  I've tried numerous times to get that just for the sake of it.  But till now am yet to even receive the promised SMS with their decision.

4 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

just like when I would sell tobacco at work and we had to scan your license....your health insurance knows your habit too now

You would need to tell your health insurance that you smoke, anyway 

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Google wallet, or the iPhone version.  Either will work and you can use a non-Thai debit card assuming you have one.  Should mention it's a contactless "Tap" payment rather than the more common "S-can".  And not all 7-11's will be so familiar with tap payments.  

Not much use if you want just a bottle of water, minimum purchase 200 baht

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Sunflower111 said:

I see most locals using TrueMoney Wallet. I can sign up as an expat? 

Yes, many of us are using it nowadays. Download the app onto your phone and follow the registration instructions. If you're not working here see my earlier post on how to proceed. 

I use my USA Capital One MasterCard at 7-11. Works a treat. And this card card has an excellent conversion rate, no foreign transaction fee and pays 1.5% unlimited cashback. Use it everywhere here where the vendor doesn't tack on an additional fee. 

21 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

I use my USA Capital One MasterCard at 7-11. Works a treat. And this card card has an excellent conversion rate, no foreign transaction fee and pays 1.5% unlimited cashback. Use it everywhere here where the vendor doesn't tack on an additional fee. 

But unfortunately 7-11 currently imposes a minimum purchase requirement for using cards that usually won't be met by the cost of a small midnight snack.

1 minute ago, Thingamabob said:

I know how you felt. Recently I was at my local 711, only one cashier operating, and in front of me a woman buying an apple. It took 5 minutes of 'phone activity for the woman to conclude her purchase. This is a recurring situation in my experience. Not a problem for me as I have no time pressure, but frustrating for those who need to get a move on.

Maybe the day will come when there are cash-only tills and those with an eternity to spare can use the card-only tills.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

But unfortunately 7-11 currently imposes a minimum purchase requirement for using cards that usually won't be met by the cost of a small midnight snack.

Fair enough...but who's out & about at midnight without at least a few hundred pocket baht

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Go try again. When you come to the 'employment' bit declare yourself 'unemployed' and put your home address as your work address. It's worked for quite a few of us now.

Encouraged by your reply I've applied again, I actually did the same as suggested the previous 3 times.  Would be nice even if they reject the application if they could be bothered to send the SMS, perhaps even saying what is wrong.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Encouraged by your reply I've applied again, I actually did the same as suggested the previous 3 times.  Would be nice even if they reject the application if they could be bothered to send the SMS, perhaps even saying what is wrong.

I am very puzzled. I tried many times before I finally cracked it, however every time I tried and failed I received an SMS to let me know. They didn't explain why my request failed, but at least I knew it had. I had to figure that out myself. (with a bit of help from this forum)

So as I said, I'm very puzzled as to why you're not receiving the notifications. Have you tried their call centre on  02-700-8855? I've read that they can be quite helpful. 

See it as a challenge and keep at it. You'll get there.

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

I am very puzzled. I tried many times before I finally cracked it, however every time I tried and failed I received an SMS to let me know. They didn't explain why my request failed, but at least I knew it had. I had to figure that out myself. (with a bit of help from this forum)

So as I said, I'm very puzzled as to why you're not receiving the notifications. Have you tried their call centre on  02-700-8855? I've read that they can be quite helpful. 

See it as a challenge and keep at it. You'll get there.

I will indeed persist.  This time it is slightly different in that when opening the app now there is a message saying they have received the application...never saw that before....progress!

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Google wallet, or the iPhone version.  Either will work and you can use a non-Thai debit card assuming you have one. 

A foreign card is the only way Google wallet will work isn't it? When I tried a Thai card it was rejected.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

A foreign card is the only way Google wallet will work isn't it? When I tried a Thai card it was rejected.

Yes, I also failed to load a Thai card.  Although having said that I see on the Google Wallet help pages that BBL, Krungthai and TMB all should work. 

Edited by Upnotover

9 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

Correct, no foreign cards in Wallet!

IMG_4465.png