Bringing thai gf to usa

I've got a friend in the US who was here a couple months ago. Anyway, you know the story, met a girl, fell in love. (Didn't marry her) He wants to bring her to the US for a month or so, just to show her is life over there. She has a small business, but it not rich, famous or powerful. Has my friend got any chance in getting her a visa. If so, what is usually required?

Anyone with any experience with this, I'd love to hear your stories.

HELLO

I WOULD BE SUPRISED IF THERE IS ANY CHANCE. I GOT A VISA FOR MY WIFE A FEW YEARS AGO. NOT EASY NEEDED LOADS OF INFO.

MAYBEE BETER HE GOES BACK TO LOS, AND TAKES A VIDEO OF HOME LIFE AND SHOW HER IN THE COMFORT OF THE HOTEL ROOM. THAT WAY HE ALSO GETS A HOLIDAY. CHEAPER AND EASIER

Hi simon,

That's pretty much what I expected. But to be sure, there are plenty of Thais vacationing in Europe, Australia and the US so how are they getting their visas? Do you know what the US Embassy typically wants to see before issuing a visa to a thai girl?

Hi simon,

That's pretty much what I expected. But to be sure, there are plenty of Thais vacationing in Europe, Australia and the US so how are they getting their visas? Do you know what the US Embassy typically wants to see before issuing a visa to a thai girl?

Ya they want you to be rich so they dont think you are going to the US to stay and look for work.

Oh, I dont know.  My friend had his then girlfriend (they have since married) get a visa for herself and her 8-yearold daughter (not his).  He works in LA and makes a decent living, owns a house, etc.  She had some land upcountry but otherwise was an ordinary bargirl.  He warned her that it might be difficult but she still teases him with the speed with which she was given her visa.

At another time, he had her join him while he spent a couple of weeks in Korea on business.  She says she had more trouble getting out of Thailand than getting into Korea or getting her U.S. visa later.

From what I've heard from others, getting a visa depends on the particular consul officer who interviews her.  You or she just need to convince him/her that the girlfriend fully intends to return to Thailand and is not going to the U.S. to work in a massage parlor or such.

Well, I still think having a lot of money is greatly beneficial to any Thai trying to get a visa for US.  Of course the girl had no troubles with Korea because Thai citizens can go there with no prior Visa and get entry stamps on arrival.

I've no idea about the US but I took my ex to Italy.   The fact that she's a computer programmer (20,000B a month taxable income) plus had modest savings of 100,000B and also a guarantee from my father (who, though not Italian, is resident in Milano) ensured she got a Schengen visa withouth even an interview.  As I said, I'm no expert but  a lot of guys have trouble getting visas because their gf doesn't work (or isn't officilally employed).  If she does indeed have a business and is paying taxes then i imagine she has a fair chance of a visa if she has a US guarantor.

Hello again

Through my very own experience,as a Thai national,what the US.embassy was looking for the most at the time I applied for the visitor visa(last year) was some kind of proofs to make sure that I would not overstay in the US.So what I did was submitting them a letter issued by the university saying I was a student,plus an essay telling them the reasons why I wanted to go and that I had obligations with school and family to return to.

Money was not a big issue for my case as I had my mother as a sponsor and she  had only 150,000BHT in her account.

I then was told to come for an interview the next day ,and it took me only a few minutes talking with the officer ,then my visa was issued right on the spot.

So my recommendation for the lady is to make sure she provide all documents required,anything to make them believe she will come back, her positive thought and nothing else but confidence!

Best of luck (na kha) :o

Hi CMT,

I know bugger all about US immigration law but have experience of the UK's and I'm sure the general principles are similar. I have posted info on UK visa applications which you may like to have a look at, under the "other topics" forum.

For what it's worth I'll give you my honest opinion on the scant available facts and that is your mate's g/f wouldn't stand a chance of getting a visit visa for the US. Having said that, there are always exceptions and Lanny's comment that it depends which visa officer you see has a degree of truth in it. Some are more strict than others.

The only problem is that once a visa is refused the applicant's passport is endorsed to that effect and any future application (to any embassy) may be jeopardised. Alternatively, however, once a visa has been issued and a positive immigration history has been built up it is far easier to get another in the future.

With respect to Attitude Girl, I would suggest that, being university-educated and middle class, she would not encounter any difficulties in obtaining a US visa and that, consequently, she has failed to realise that those not in her position are not treated as favourably.

Regards,

Scouse.

hmm did I failt to realise that people are treated differently?Scouser,the answer is "NO"

I realise so well that it all depends with different circumstances.However,my message was just the fact that I experienced it myself,therefore,it was based on my position,alright?Yes,I know the lady's circumstances might be different,but my point was just to give her guidelines and some kind of examples so she could then have some ideas about what is best for her to do in her situation.

Scouser,it seems to me as well that you did fail to get my point.

???

Scouser,it seems to me as well that you did fail to get my point.

First, it is good to have your input here and am sure most of us welcome your positing.  Even if/when it has an attitude. :o

But this case has a 'relationship' issue and will require a much stronger set of 'return to Thailand' proof than would have been required in your case.

Have to agree with tripxcore here. When relations have attempted to visit us in the UK (assume US is pretty much the same) they were very hot on reason to return. A child does not count as they just think you'll take them with you. What they want is a good job to come back to or a receipt of payment for a Uni course in the Kingdom. They also want to see that you have no need of their welfare by showing a good income, monmey in the bank or property.

As allways, money talks, BS walks.

A simple note for Europeans though. If you marry your Thai sweetheart, it is actually against the law (European Court of Human Rights) for a member state to separate you - including denying her a visa! An aquaintance of mine (not a friend as I think he is a plank!) married a girl on his first visit after just 2 days (most of this was her waiting on his table at the hotel where she worked) with a 40 year age gap (19:59)! Of course the Embassy laughed him out of the building. He flew to Brussels (after a phone conversation with a lawyer friend) and flew back 2 days later with a letter from a European Lawyer and a writ. The Embassy backed down and stamped her visa! Cost a pretty penny though. ::o:

The European Conventon on Human Rights is now enshrined in English and Scottish law. Article 8 gives an individual a right to private and family life. Whereas I understand the Wolf's mate may have been successful, the British govt. line is normally that whilst the law confers this right it does not confer the absolute right to practice it in the UK; ie we're not stopping you from living together, it's just that you can live together somewhere other than the UK.

Scouse

My gf and I are planning on getting married.  Is it better (easier) to get a fiance visa and get married in the US or get married in Thailand and then bring her to the States?  Also I am in the military and was wanted to know if anyone knows if that makes a difference?

My gf and I are planning on getting married.  Is it better (easier) to get a fiance visa and get married in the US or get married in Thailand and then bring her to the States?  Also I am in the military and was wanted to know if anyone knows if that makes a difference?

Fiancee visa is the quickest way to get her to USA but it's never easy.  On the Fiancee visa, she could be in the USA within 6 months of you starting the paperwork if you know what you are doing.  Marry her in Thailand and try to bring her here and you'll be waiting 1 year or more.  Good Luck

I have heard the easiest way is actually a student visa, which now actually requires that she show up for class due to 9-11.  All she needs to be taking is and english class at a university, many of whom wpecialize in getting foriegners this type of visa.  Mercer Uni in Atlanta is like this.  They even have a rep who flies to Thailand every year for recruitment.

My friend who has a great job with a high profile US corporation was unable to help his TG get a tourist visa.  She is a nurse, with a good, legitimate job, 33 YO, owns a house in the country and a condo in BKK (which she bought with her own money), owns a new Honda, etc. and was denied a tourist visa.  My friend even went to his congressman who called the embassy and they were still unwilling to grant her a visa.

No wonder we have so many illegal immigrants - flying her into Canada, and driving her accross the border would probably be easier, but illegal.

The US Government is much more stringent than the British.

What reasons, if any, were given for denying the visa?

Just a guess but officials may have suspected she did not intend to return because of the relationship and intended to shortcut the finance visa process.