Leaving Our Dog

In June we will be off to the USA for about a month and since none of the relatives are interested in taking care of our 10 year old Cocker for that long, we are considering putting him in a kennel while we are away. We will probably use the Dog Hotel in Pattaya, which we used a couple of times before but only for overnight stays. We have had the dog since he was a small puppy. My question is how do long time pets react when the owner is away for a month or more? They must miss their owners? Or do they? Is their anything we can do to "prep" the dog before we go?

With my kennel I've have long and short term boarders, and below my experience with our guest dogs:

Usually dogs don't really have notion of time, whether it is a few days or a few weeks.

I've noticed with some dogs, that initially they tend to wait for their owner/s to return. But after a certain amount of time they adapt. How fast a dog adapts to their new environment depends strongly on their relationship with their owner/s. Dogs that are quite clingy at home, tend to be close-by their owner most of the time, or are quite spoiled, in general, need longer time to settle in.

Many dogs that are boarded for the first time won't eat for the first one or two days of boarding. But once they start to feel more comfortable and safe, they will eat.

It is quite important that the kennel owner/manager/care-taker recognizes the certain emotions in their guest animals. For example: a dog that got the full load of attention at home whenever s/he wanted, and barks like madness for attention at the kennel, I usually ignore till it's quiet. But a dog, that is anxious of being separated with their owner/s receives special attention of course, there are nuances here, but that too much to explain). Yesterday, I received such an anxious dog at the kennel and I keep a very close eye on him; in the night he sleeps in his bench in my house (not in the kennels) and several times during the day I sit quietly with him, just to comfort him and to build up a relationship.

How your dog will be for a longer period at the Dog Hotel depends on how he is at your house and how he has been during the other periods of boarding there. If he has been fine, ate well, was comfortable, then you don't need to worry. He will be fine, although it might be an idea to bring a blanket, towel, his bed or something where he can lie on and has the smell from home. But if he was a bit anxious and didn't eat well, then he might has suffered a form of seperation anxiety.

Before I explain what you can do in that case prior to your trip to the US, i'd like to know whether your dog was ok during the periods of boarding or not. And if not, how did he show his anxiety.

Nienke

With my kennel I've have long and short term boarders, and below my experience with our guest dogs:

Usually dogs don't really have notion of time, whether it is a few days or a few weeks.

I've noticed with some dogs, that initially they tend to wait for their owner/s to return. But after a certain amount of time they adapt. How fast a dog adapts to their new environment depends strongly on their relationship with their owner/s. Dogs that are quite clingy at home, tend to be close-by their owner most of the time, or are quite spoiled, in general, need longer time to settle in.

Many dogs that are boarded for the first time won't eat for the first one or two days of boarding. But once they start to feel more comfortable and safe, they will eat.

It is quite important that the kennel owner/manager/care-taker recognizes the certain emotions in their guest animals. For example: a dog that got the full load of attention at home whenever s/he wanted, and barks like madness for attention at the kennel, I usually ignore till it's quiet. But a dog, that is anxious of being separated with their owner/s receives special attention of course, there are nuances here, but that too much to explain). Yesterday, I received such an anxious dog at the kennel and I keep a very close eye on him; in the night he sleeps in his bench in my house (not in the kennels) and several times during the day I sit quietly with him, just to comfort him and to build up a relationship.

How your dog will be for a longer period at the Dog Hotel depends on how he is at your house and how he has been during the other periods of boarding there. If he has been fine, ate well, was comfortable, then you don't need to worry. He will be fine, although it might be an idea to bring a blanket, towel, his bed or something where he can lie on and has the smell from home. But if he was a bit anxious and didn't eat well, then he might has suffered a form of seperation anxiety.

Before I explain what you can do in that case prior to your trip to the US, i'd like to know whether your dog was ok during the periods of boarding or not. And if not, how did he show his anxiety.

Nienke

Thanks for the reply. Very helpful. The several times we have left him overnight in the past their weren't any problems. He was always happy to see us the next day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

consider paying family for their trouble or ask them to take care on the rota basis (one week in one home, the other week in another) - the dog already knows them and will suffer less than in the kennels with tens/hundreds of the other, desperate dogs.

try talking to your neighbours who have dogs - they might be willing taking your dog as a companion for their dog. You can reciprocate, when they are on holidays.

I would think you can find thai people, who for a few thousand baht/month + food would take care of your dog - even walk your dog daily to your home garden to spend a few hours at his own environment.