No More Petrol 95

PTT the biggest petrol retailer announced Mar 4th that they will stop all sales of regular 95 gasoline nationwide following the lead of Chevron and JET .

Analysts say that sales of 95 will be affected at other outlets as PTT is the biggest local refiner and distributer.

The government has made it very clear that 91 petrol will be replaced by gasohol.

Only in Thailand where vested interests overrule sanity.

Quote of the year from Chakrit Charuchinda, VP for Retail Marketing, PTT

"For owners of cars older than 12 years that need premium petrol. we are sorry about that"

By the governments own calculations there are 500,000 car owners (they ignored motorcycles), including owners of brand new cars like Ferraris for example, that are a tad sorrier

my car is over 12 years old since it rolled out of the factory. I haven't tried gasohol and I never wanted to. Comparisons and effects have been made in other threads about regular benzene and gasohol.

What do you know or have heard about gasohol effects on cars over 12 years? Just another opinion I want know.

my car is over 12 years old since it rolled out of the factory. I haven't tried gasohol and I never wanted to. Comparisons and effects have been made in other threads about regular benzene and gasohol.

What do you know or have heard about gasohol effects on cars over 12 years? Just another opinion I want know.

the 12 year comment came from this PTT clown, and I question its validity.

I have written several articles on the effects of gasohol, and 2 weeks ago had a carb apart that had the pump diaphragm and rubber bits eaten away by gasohol. The effects have been thrashed over several times in this and other forums - search and ye shall find

The governments position is very clear, and you will soon have no choice but to use gasohol once petrol 91 is withdrawn from the market.

I think you'll find that it is a marketing thing rather than a government position. Gas stations have only so many storage tanks and it makes economic sense to eliminate a low volume product for a more popular product.

I just switched to Gasohol 95 in my 1995 Civic (But with modified 1999 engine) and havent had any problems yet.I would prefer to use premium 95 but its getting harder to find.I hope the long term use of gasohol isnt too damaging.

We may see a niche market develop. If most of the oil companies quit selling 95 octane gasoline, one company may continue and have a much bigger market. Years ago a company in the US called Sunoco sold many different blends of gasoline. They did this by mixing in an octane booster additive, more or less depending on what octane you wanted.

Yep ^^^ quite possible.

There's certainly going to be a market for non-alcohol octane boosters, the problems will start when gasoline 91 gets phased out in favour of gasohol 91, no supply of unadulterated gasoline :o

Anyone doing an LPG conversion for a Ferrari, wonder where they'll put the tank??

Yep ^^^ quite possible.

There's certainly going to be a market for non-alcohol octane boosters, the problems will start when gasoline 91 gets phased out in favour of gasohol 91, no supply of unadulterated gasoline :o

Do octane boosters work in all engines? I would have thought that is depends on the cars knock sensor, and if it can adjust engine tuning (advance ignition??) to deal with it.

I live in BKK and still see a fair amount of 95 gasoline for sale and 91 is available virtually everywhere. The government talked about phasing out 95, but not 91, beginning in January of last year. I wonder if this is just talk, or if they're really going to do it. My car is 27 years old and gasohol would eat the fuel system alive. It handles 91 just fine, which is what I've been using.

That comment from the PTT guy is ridiculous. What does he care...that guy can afford to drive anything so the rest of us can climb up a tree. :o If they actually do away with all gasoline, perhaps we'll have to have an old car rally and maybe "remodel" a few houses/lawns along the way.

Anybody want to start a rebel car club?