Driving From Phuket To Kuala Lumpur And Back

Jingjok

I’m driving my smashed-up Thai-registered Land Rover from Phuket to Malaysia next week.

This is for repairs which have been quoted at well below half the Thai price: Land Rovers are rare here, but ubiquitous in Malaysia, as are parts.

Has anyone driven this route recently? Any advice as to the best way to go, and how difficult the customs formalities are, would be appreciated.

I know I can gain temporary entry for a Thai vehicle for 90 days. I have purchased Malaysian car insurance already via the net, and have been e-mailed a cover note. I have a 10-year Malaysian visa myself.

I will then drive a (large-engined) Malaysian-registered car back to Phuket. I know little about what the problems might be in this direction. Does a Malaysian car get 90 days in Thailand, or is it less? Is there any problem with big engines? Presumably I can buy insurance on the border.

Anything else I should know?

• 1 month later...

For anyone who might look on here to get the answer to my question - driving into Malaysia was an absolute piece of pudding. The border took twenty minutes tops. A Thai-registered car may remain in Malaysia for up to 90 days without charge.

For anyone who might look on here to get the answer to my question - driving into Malaysia was an absolute piece of pudding. The border took twenty minutes tops. A Thai-registered car may remain in Malaysia for up to 90 days without charge.

And how was the return in the big engined car into Thailand? Any hassles there?