As far as I know farangs do not usually have their name in the house book, nor do they have to. Having said that I don't doubt that someone will post that their name is in their book. :o

I have two condos which I own but am non resident should my name be in the blue book or can it?? my wife says it has no name in it as I am not resident? Is that correct?

I do not know the rules in having a non-resident on the blue book. There is only one advantage on the blue book is that, for tax purposes, you are not considered as trading in property for profit if you are on the blue book as owner for a period of one year or over. Without that, you can be qualified in that category after five years.

<br />
I have two condos which I own but am non resident should my name be in the blue book or can it?? my wife says it has no name in it as I am not resident? Is that correct?
<br /><br />I do not know the rules in having a non-resident on the blue book. There is only one advantage on the blue book is that, for tax purposes, you are not considered as trading in property for profit if you are on the blue book as owner for a period of one year or over. Without that, you can be qualified in that category after five years.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks Irene and to the poster asking believing my wife it was not a case of not believing her it was a case of knowing what the law is and the huge amount of mis information that you can get here as i am sure my wife is NOT a property expert and has only a limited knowledge of the ACTUAL law. You only have to look at VISA rules and various officers interpretations to see it can allow or not allow many things, I just wondered if I could have my name on it or not? Many officials seem to know very very little.

When I first went to my local Amphur for a letter confirming my address in Thailand they said why don't you get yourself put in the house Blue Book!

Great I said, lets do it now, guessing what the answer would be.

When they consulted the rules it was as you guessed, 'no can do'.

Very few Thais know the rules until they look them up.

I do not know the rules in having a non-resident on the blue book. There is only one advantage on the blue book is that, for tax purposes, you are not considered as trading in property for profit if you are on the blue book as owner for a period of one year or over. Without that, you can be qualified in that category after five years.

If you own the condo's, your name will be on the blue book, as owner, but not as resident (unless you own them through a company set-up of course).

Whether or not you are registered as resident has no influence over sale taxes AFAIK.

I was always of the understanding that only Thai citizens can get their names in the blue tabien ban, foreigners can be registered in a yellow one;

yellow tabien ban thread

Hi sbk, thats exactly what my local Amphur told me.

Hopefully when my house is completed later this year there will be a nice blue book detailing the property and my wife as resident and a nice yellow book detailing me as owner and resident.

If you own the condo's, your name will be on the blue book, as owner, but not as resident (unless you own them through a company set-up of course).No, not correct. The blue book is given to all owners of a condo or a house but the owner's name is not stated on the blue book unless he applies with the district office for his name to be stated there as "the owner", called in Thai as "jao baan" together with the names of the occupiers, called "look baan". The name of the blue book in Thai means household registration, "tabien baan". Since one person can be in one household registration and cannot be in more than one blue book. I have plenty of houses and condos and were given one blue book each, all of them except one are blank without anyone's names.

Whether or not you are registered as resident has no influence over sale taxes As I stated before your property with your name as the owner in a title deed and also you have declared yourself with the district office as "the owner", "jao baan", then you can sell the property without being subject to specific business tax after a period of one year. If the property, though is owned by you but not named in the blue book, you have to pay the specific business tax unless the ownership has exceeded five years.

So to answer the main question posed, it has not much bearing whether or not the name is on the blue book except for saving of sale tax in some cases. I don't think it affects visa rules either (I will write what I know and only think and say what I don't know but has an inkling of the situation. That is the way to improve the forum). After reading the recent contributions, I guess the yellow tabien baan is issued for foreigners only but believe that it is still a household registration and can be qualified for the foreign owner in the case of ownership of a condo. I think the distinction of the blue and yellow is for ease of administration in controlling the electioneering lists of Thai voters who are stated only on the blue book only. Now I know what is a yellow book. AFAIK.