Tot Samui And Port Forwarding

robsamui

Hiya.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I'd already set up port forwarding on the broadband router that TOT supplied and last week things seemed to be slow. So yesterday I logged back onto the TOT site and lo and behold, port forwarding was disabled. So I set it up again.

Today the torrent movie I was downloading was at a crawl, so I checked again and port forwarding was disabled once more.

With TOT you have to do all this by logging onto their website and then accessing your router from there - so is this som sort of campaign by TOT to limit bandwidth useage?

Any ideas or rumours out there? Enyone else having this?

Or is it TIT and someone keeps pushing the wrong buttons up at Terasap House?

R

Hiya.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I'd already set up port forwarding on the broadband router that TOT supplied and last week things seemed to be slow. So yesterday I logged back onto the TOT site and lo and behold, port forwarding was disabled. So I set it up again.

Today the torrent movie I was downloading was at a crawl, so I checked again and port forwarding was disabled once more.

With TOT you have to do all this by logging onto their website and then accessing your router from there - so is this som sort of campaign by TOT to limit bandwidth useage?

Any ideas or rumours out there? Enyone else having this?

Or is it TIT and someone keeps pushing the wrong buttons up at Terasap House?

R

How can you log on on their site? I have big trouble with our port in Nathon and would like to help myself out better than talking to TOT Nathon...

Claude

The port forwarding is a setting in your router, not TOT related stuff.

Dont forget to save the configuration and reboot, make sure then the settings are still there.

Also advise to change your default password on your router, maybe someone plays with you :)

What kind of router your have? What is your router's model?

Hiya. Is anyone else experiencing this? I'd already set up port forwarding on the broadband router that TOT supplied and last week things seemed to be slow. So yesterday I logged back onto the TOT site and lo and behold, port forwarding was disabled. So I set it up again. Today the torrent movie I was downloading was at a crawl, so I checked again and port forwarding was disabled once more. With TOT you have to do all this by logging onto their website and then accessing your router from there - so is this som sort of campaign by TOT to limit bandwidth useage? Any ideas or rumours out there? Enyone else having this? Or is it TIT and someone keeps pushing the wrong buttons up at Terasap House? R

this problem has nothing to do with "TOT", sorry!

You have only to check your own Hardware first and understand how they work.....

Never forget to save your settings :o

Chayaphum

more help? more details from your Hardware.....thank's

Many if not most overseas ISP and telephone type companies have technical staff with dozens of years experience.

12 years ago there was no public internet service here.

So I deduce that for most cases, the ISPs have staff with less than 10 years real experience.

And that simply does not cut it. No good.

Ok for normal day but when things go wrong you need teams of technicians with years and years and years of experience in the technology.

Without that? You get TOT. They have no long-term experienced staff, it is all rote, from the text book, memorize instructions written in a book for a world that is not real, as in not the real world.

Real world situations require real world experience, not parrot-fashion "learning" from text books, most of which are outdated anyway.

Years ago the Thai ISPs DID hire farang technicians who had lots of experience. Now they don't because "we can do it ouselves thanks, don't need help from outsiders".

Give them another 20 to 50 years and she'll be right mate, no worries! :o

Well to configure the broadband router that is on the table in front of me - the process is that I have to go to the TOT website at 192.168.1.1 and log in using USER TOT/ PASS admin. After which point I can access the advanced set-up of my router and configure port forwarding.

The it gets mysteriously changed and reset, although my modem has not been off or reset by me.

So if I'm not changing it and I have to do it through their website, then (not having any technical knowledge of *how* this works) it would seem logical that TOT also has access to users' configurations and TOT by accident or design are able to change them.

I'l like to have all this explained to me when you say "the setting is in my router", as the only way I can access it is via the TOT website.

Cheers

Rob

Cheers

Rob

Well to configure the broadband router that is on the table in front of me - the process is that I have to go to the TOT website at 192.168.1.1 and log in using USER TOT/ PASS admin. After which point I can access the advanced set-up of my router and configure port forwarding. The it gets mysteriously changed and reset, although my modem has not been off or reset by me. So if I'm not changing it and I have to do it through their website, then (not having any technical knowledge of *how* this works) it would seem logical that TOT also has access to users' configurations and TOT by accident or design are able to change them. I'l like to have all this explained to me when you say "the setting is in my router", as the only way I can access it is via the TOT website. Cheers Rob Cheers Rob

there is a big missunderstanding......

this can be a example TOT IP-Adress from some customers ADSL-Modem, 118.174.13.167

but you do a login on 192.168.1.1, that's just your own Modem/Router adress locally,

many thousands have the same, that's why it's important to change the

USERNAME and PASSWORD !!!! Otherwise somebody can play a game with you :D (if u have WiFi)

If your Modem/Router do not save the settings or forget everytime....then you have a

Hardware problem.....what Model do you use for ADSL?

I believe, that TOT can't change settings in your Modem if they don't know your Username/Password!

Just with the standard settings like: Username = admin / Password = admin it is possible for every

body to make some changes.......no joke :o

Chayaphum

And by the way -to set up port forwarding with TOT you do this -

Go to the command prompt and find out your personal IP keying ipconfig . The IP address is yours and the default

gateway is whatever sub of TOT you're connected to (ie Nathon - 192.168.1.1)

The login is USER admin / PASS TOT (I had it the wrong way in my last message) TOT also might be lowercase - I forget.

On the left menu click on 'advanced'. Then configuration and then advanced security.You'll get a page titled 'virtual

server configuration' and hit the 'port forwarding' option. You should then see that there is already one port set up - at port 80 for e-mail - so click the 'add' button at the bottom.

On the new page that opens, check the box that reads 'user configuration' and give it a name - 'P2P'or something. In the box that reads ''forward to internal host IP address' you put *your* IP address that you previously discovered. And in the 2 columns of both 'external packet' 'and fwd to internal host'you add the range of ports you want to be open for forwarding.

And that's it. There's no way to actually 'save' it - simply exiting the site is OK as it has stored your settings. If

you want to double check by looking again later, it'll still be there.

Until somebody comes along and removes those ports, that is!

Cheers

Rob

And by the way -to set up port forwarding with TOT you do this - Go to the command prompt and find out your personal IP keying ipconfig . The IP address is yours and the default gateway is whatever sub of TOT you're connected to (ie Nathon - 192.168.1.1) The login is USER admin / PASS TOT (I had it the wrong way in my last message) TOT also might be lowercase - I forget. On the left menu click on 'advanced'. Then configuration and then advanced security.You'll get a page titled 'virtual server configuration' and hit the 'port forwarding' option. You should then see that there is already one port set up - at port 80 for e-mail - so click the 'add' button at the bottom. On the new page that opens, check the box that reads 'user configuration' and give it a name - 'P2P'or something. In the box that reads ''forward to internal host IP address' you put *your* IP address that you previously discovered. And in the 2 columns of both 'external packet' 'and fwd to internal host'you add the range of ports you want to be open for forwarding. And that's it. There's no way to actually 'save' it - simply exiting the site is OK as it has stored your settings. If you want to double check by looking again later, it'll still be there. Until somebody comes along and removes those ports, that is! Cheers Rob

1/.... :o ...what Hardware do you use ????

Dlink - Surecom - Zyxel - Netgear - MicroLink

2/ what Model?

3/ do you use WiFi?

Chayaphum

please don't tell me that you use a TOT-modem, the biggest s**t i've ever seen.

Have a look in the internet section, you'll find a lot more information there.

From what you have described, you have TOT router - it's box from Hinet specially designed for TOT. Default settings:

IP address 192.168.1.100

userid: admin

password: tot

I have one here, tested it on an adsl switch and it's absolutely the shittiest piece of equipment around. Start more than 4 popular torrents at the same time and you will totally stress the processor in the router.

Any IP address with 192.168.x.x is not on the internet but on your own equipment. It's a private IP range.

Port forwarding seems difficult when you don't know how it works. To overcome this, most routers have a uPnP option, allowing applications to dynamically forward the correct ports in a router.

In case you do indeed have this TOT router, I suggest you have a look at a Zyxel 660. Cheap (THB1150), reliable and handles ADSL / ADSL2 / ADSL2+. Configuration is easy and well-documented on several websites.

Edit:

Here is the link to the manual for the TOT DB120 box

Edited by Prasert

What torrent software are you using OP?

I use Azureus and love it! There is a NAT/Firewall test that tells you if you have port forwarding set-up correctly on your router.

As my ip address changes when I log on, I have to go into Azureus and tell it what port to listen to.

Although, sometimes when the wrong port is being used it still pulls down relatively fast, but it gets faster after I put in the right port #.

Now that I have kicked everyone off my router, my ip address stays the same so I don't have to reconfig anything anymore. Someone had "cracked" my very hard password (samui). What the heck was I thinking? "Samui"...good password, not! Maybe I should have used "password" for my password. Genius!

I use Azureus and love it! There is a NAT/Firewall test that tells you if you have port forwarding set-up correctly on your router.

As my ip address changes when I log on, I have to go into Azureus and tell it what port to listen to.

Although, sometimes when the wrong port is being used it still pulls down relatively fast, but it gets faster after I put in the right port #.

Now that I have kicked everyone off my router, my ip address stays the same so I don't have to reconfig anything anymore. Someone had "cracked" my very hard password (samui). What the heck was I thinking? "Samui"...good password, not! Maybe I should have used "password" for my password. Genius!

Even better to turn off DHCP and use fixed IP-adress.

Well, since this doesn't appear to be Samui TOT related after all, I am moving it to the Internet section where all the techie people hang out. You'll be sure to get all the answers you need there

///MOVED///

As has been pointed out you must save your configuration or it will get lost when you switch off.

I have a TOT ADSL modem and the save option is under the maintenance tab. There is also the option to save your settings as a file so if you need to reinstall your settings (port forwarding etc) you need just to click on your saved file and not go through the whole process again.

Daffy

:o

Even better to turn off DHCP and use fixed IP-adress.

And how is that accomplished? And why is it better?

I think you are trying to set your modem with incorrect parameters. That's why it won't be saved.

I don't know your modem but generally port forwarding works like this.

1: assign a static ip-address to your computer for example 192.168.1.100. Often this is done by using the LAN card's mac-address of your computer as identifier. And that is what I didn't read in your setup description.

2: assign a port or port range to that static ip-address

Several modem/routers I had, refused setting port forwarding if static ip address wasn't set first.

You don't access your modem through TOT. Your modem has a browser interface with TOT dedicated firmware. That's why it looks that you're on their website.

Good luck.

Petch01

Many modem/routers and routers give the possibility to assign a mac address of a network card to a LAN ip- address. It takes care that the computers, connecting to the modem/router, always will have the same LAN IP address.

The static DHCP-table in my router is for example

mac address IP Address hostname

xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 192.168.1.100 desktop

xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 192.168.1.101 laptop lan

xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 192.168.1.102 laptop wireless

You can also achieve that by turning the DHCP in the router off and set these ip addresses manually at each computer that is using the modem/router. In XP you do that by network connections > properties > internet protocol (TCP/IP)

Petch01

Many modem/routers and routers give the possibility to assign a mac address of a network card to a LAN ip- address. It takes care that the computers, connecting to the modem/router, always will have the same LAN IP address.

The static DHCP-table in my router is for example

mac address IP Address hostname

xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 192.168.1.100 desktop

xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 192.168.1.101 laptop lan

xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 192.168.1.102 laptop wireless

You can also achieve that by turning the DHCP in the router off and set these ip addresses manually at each computer that is using the modem/router. In XP you do that by network connections > properties > internet protocol (TCP/IP)

Petch01

OK but why is this better than using port-forwarding? Only because you would be guarenteed the same IP address each time?

OK but why is this better than using port-forwarding? Only because you would be guarenteed the same IP address each time?

Assigning a static IP Address to a computer and port forwarding are two different things.

If you have a port forwarded on let's say port 45678 directed to IP Address 192.168.1.100 (your computer's IP now) to work with bittorrent but your computer is after a restart of modem or computer assigned 192.168.1.101 by DHCP, bittorrent on your computer will not work properly.

Static IP's with DCHP guarantees always the same IP address for a specific computer

Static IP's (manual at each computer) does the same but makes it more difficult to get an IP address after hacking the modem

Both ways help a lot if you have to forward a lot of ports such as ports for bittorrent, MSN Messenger, Skype and for games.

Petch01

Edited by Petch01