Toyota To Make Camry Hybrid In Kingdom

george

Toyota to make camry hybrid in Kingdom

BANGKOK: -- Thailand will step up from being a manufacturer of low-tech pickup trucks when it starts to assemble the Toyota Camry Hybrid in the near future, said a top Toyota engineer.

According to The Straits Times, Yasuyuki Kawamoto, chief engineer of the Thai-made Corolla Altis, said in Singapore that Toyota would be assembling its Camry Hybrid in Thailand.

The hi-tech petrol-electric model is currently available only in the United States, where the popularity of hybrid models has risen dramatically over the years due to their low fuel consumption and environmental friendliness.

Kawamoto said this would happen "within the lifetime of the current Camry model", which was launched two years ago and is due to be replaced in 2011. "In the future, we will do all our planning for Asian models in Thailand. Currently, we still do it in Japan," he said.

The Camry is one of the most popular mid-sized sedans in Thailand, competing against the Honda Accord and Nissan Teana.

The Camry Hybrid will likely be built at Toyota's Gateway plant in Chachoengsao province, which is one of Toyota's "green" plants that produces passenger cars including the Corolla Altis and Vios.

According to Toyota Motor Thailand (TMT), the final decision to assemble the Camry Hybrid lies with the parent company in Japan.

"We are still in the study phase for this project and that's why we brought in a fleet of Prius hybrid cars to test the market last year," said company spokesman Kij Mahajuntakarn.

-- The Nation 2008-03-14

Selling it and building it here are two different animals.

If Thailand moves fast it can really become the only country in the world outside the US that builds hybrid cars, especially if they bring supporting industries and share the know-how with other car makers (I believe Nissan uses Toyota hybrid technology for its own cars).

The potentials for growth and for exports are unlimited. It might turn a better long term solution for Thailand than entering into crowded eco-cars market.

If Thailand moves fast it can really become the only country in the world outside the US that builds hybrid cars, especially if they bring supporting industries and share the know-how with other car makers (I believe Nissan uses Toyota hybrid technology for its own cars).

They build Prius in China and Japan too.

Toyota also already licenses hybrid technology to quite a few automakers not limited to Japanese.

The potentials for growth and for exports are unlimited. It might turn a better long term solution for Thailand than entering into crowded eco-cars market.

I think it's too premature a speculation (the report), not to mention it's not an official announcement. I wonder if it really appeals to Thai motorists (even with 10% reduced excise tax incentive already in effect) when most petrol fueled cars can easily be converted to NGV for less than 50,000 Baht.

Edited by Nordlys

Yes, right, they do make Prius in China already.

Toyota made hybrid noises in Thailand for some time, and this time it's one of their top men in Asia who talked about it to the media, so it's not just a rumor anymore.

Of course there's a long way to go, and they'd need government support to make it happen. They can price them competitively if there's enough local content, under two mil - that's how much they sell imported Prius for. People would buy it, and, according to reports, it performs a lot better than 2.4l Camry.

and this time it's one of their top men in Asia who talked about it to the media, so it's not just a rumor anymore.

Is he really?

I wouldn't be so quick to believe it unless they make announcement in press conference in Japan (they did so when they announced Prius production in China). And an announcement like that usually doesn't come from an engineer.

Of course there's a long way to go, and they'd need government support to make it happen. They can price them competitively if there's enough local content, under two mil - that's how much they sell imported Prius for. People would buy it, and, according to reports, it performs a lot better than 2.4l Camry.

Forget the local contents. From what I read there are a very few parts makers in Japan that can supply vital parts for hybrid motor, and I doubt they will be that quick to transfer production know-how to Thailand, even to their wholly owned subsidiary. Government will support any energy saving scheme for sure. I just wonder what the price is going to be even with 10% excise tax (against 30% for non-hybrid Camry) when petrol fueled Camry comes with a price tag of anywhere from 1.2 to as much as almost 1.7 million Baht for 2.4L (2.85 million for 3.5 liter Camry). And I just don't think they will launch the hybrid Camry with very ambitious pricing that makes it come into direct competition with existing Camrys. I also wonder those who can afford that kind of money for Camry really cares about saving in fuel consumption from driving hybrid, when many Thai motorists still drive so fast on expressways whatever the litre price of the petrol.

I think it is possible but not beyond rumor at this point.

Edited by Nordlys

Yes, right, they do make Prius in China already.

Toyota made hybrid noises in Thailand for some time, and this time it's one of their top men in Asia who talked about it to the media, so it's not just a rumor anymore.

If production of this vehicle were ever to come to Thailand, it would primarily be for export as are the other vehicles manufactured in Thailand. No manufacturer picks Thailand for the Thai market. Its just not big enough. If it makes economic sense from an export perspective to manufacture these cars in Thailand, then it is possible.

If production of this vehicle were ever to come to Thailand, it would primarily be for export as are the other vehicles manufactured in Thailand. No manufacturer picks Thailand for the Thai market. Its just not big enough. If it makes economic sense from an export perspective to manufacture these cars in Thailand, then it is possible.

But that's not Toyota policy. I don't think Toyota ever built an assembly plant anywhere solely for the purpose of export. If they'll build Camry hybrid in Thailand they'll most likely export it but it will also be marketed in Thailand.

They use Thailand to supply all of South East Asia.

They can price it above 2.4l Camry and still can keep it under psychological 2 mil barrier. I don't think they'll have a problem selling it for that price.

Of course the interview with that engineer is not an official statement but it's a lot more than rumors of new Vigo, for example.

Even if some essential parts are needed to be imported from Japan, it's still not different in principle from their usual practice - at the moment they import transmissions for Vigo, afaik.

It's a long way to go, but I believe it's a move in the right direction.

• 2 months later...

I see in today's Business Post (Bangkok Post) Toyota Motor Corp's announcement of a plan to start Camry Hybrid production in Thailand in the end of '09 and in Australia in '10. I see the same news in Nikkei Net in Japan (Japanese) but I can't find the Business Post link. Annual outpot is estimated at 2,000 cars at the start but to be raised to 10,000 in 2011 according to Busines Post.

Edited by Nordlys

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

^ There may be little hope for the automobile industry in Thailand with the way things are going. Major cutbacks are in the pipeline.

However, to address the point in the OP, the Toyota Camry will remain a horrible car with no redeeming features whatsoever.

I didn't think they could make it any less desirable to anyone with a modicum of taste, but it seems that by bringing out a hybrid version they intend to do so.

Selling it and building it here are two different animals.

Hybrid vehicles are already being built in several countries of the world under limited production , most are sold before the first wrench is turned . :o

Just thinking about GM injecting funds into the Thai automobile industry at this time , when you consider that the American government has recently backed up GM's failing home industry to keep AMERICANS WORKING with an input of $billions , together with some restrictions on future operations and fiscal responsibility , do you realy believe GM will be able to even consider giving one dollar TO AID THE CURRENT unstable situation in Thailand ? Can you even imagine the upsurge of protests and possible riots that could occur from the millions of AMERICAN workers who have lost thier jobs in the global down-turn then watch THIER money being handed over to a bunch of Thai ?

Just take a look at what is happening in the UK at this time , huge protests and riots because legal immigrants are in jobs that should be given to TRUE BLUE BRITS , do you think Americans are less likely to respond in this strident manner ? :o:D