Will Murder On Phuket Hurt Tourism?

alanmorison

I recently talked to Australian honorary consul Larry Cuningham and he told me some harrowing stories about incidents involving tourists on Phuket. Most alarming of all: he reckons only one in 10 sex attacks are reported, and the perpetrators are emboldened because they get away with it. My interview with Larry is now on phuketwan in full, for those who are interested.

To answer your question...NO, I don't think so but possible...

The point is that most new tourists to Phuket, or any other destination in Thailand, probably never hear of this tragic murder because they come from many different countries and their local press most likely don't publish about it, other than Scandinavian press.

It 'could' become different if the family of the victim goes to the press and make a BIG STORY out of the killing and demand more answers if the police doesn't find the killer(s) or justice is covering somebody...

A (in)famous case is the 'disappearance' of Nathalee Holloway 3 years ago on the island of Aruba/Netherlands Antilles. The mother is still, daily, on the news channels, in the US, Caribbean and the Netherlands.

She will never give up. It's a very weird case BUT tourism (from the US) to Aruba really suffered heavily because of this disappearance (possible murder because the body was never found).

So, it could hurt tourism to Phuket but in this case unlikely.

LaoPo

A memorial is being organized for Ms. Backlund and to vigil against hate crime directed at women across the globe.

Next Saturday , March 22 10:30 AM at the site of her murder, Mai Khao Beach, North Phuket, Thalang district .

Look for bright pink signs and bring hope and peace.

Unfortunately in answer to your question, no, murders of foreigeners in Thailand will go on unabated. The government here will do nothing because they don't want to lose income. The westenern governments won't do anything (ie push for justice) because they don't want to upset the thin skinned Thais, interupt trade and other sweetheart deals.