Buddhist Fundies

thaibebop

I am encountering Buddhist fanitics that are mostly western and I have noticed have taken up Mahayanan beliefs, mostly Tibetan. There is a connection here but is it with Tibetan religion or politics, is it western ideas blending with Tibetan ideas, I am not sure. I just have noticed the folks that seem most given to emotional outbursts over CCP policy or topics close to this are somehow linked to Tibetan Buddhism. Am I seeing things wrong? What do you guys think?

I am encountering Buddhist fanitics that are mostly western and I have noticed have taken up Mahayanan beliefs, mostly Tibetan. There is a connection here but is it with Tibetan religion or politics, is it western ideas blending with Tibetan ideas, I am not sure. I just have noticed the folks that seem most given to emotional outbursts over CCP policy or topics close to this are somehow linked to Tibetan Buddhism. Am I seeing things wrong? What do you guys think?

If you look at the behaviour of the Tibetan followers of the Dalai Lama themselves I think Tibetan Buddhism doesn't encourage this behaviour.

I think there is a blurry line between people practicing Tibetan Buddhism in the West and political activists taking up the Tibetan cause in the West.

I may be wrong on this.

Whilst not being exactly sure what you mean by "fanaticism" (?) I have to say that the discussions that I've encountered by Tibetan Mahayanists may convey a sense of anger but not anything more. I can understand that anger as that's the tradition, culture and country which they hold most dear.

Having said this , and in no way to disparage Tibetan Buddhism; the history of Buddhism in Tibet hasn't always been quite so passive as many would prefer to believe. The inter-monastery wars over who was to be the previous Dalai Lama being one case in point.

But if you care to wander over to e-sangha -- which ,I think, is about as representative of Western Tibetan Buddhism as you'll find -- and look at the discussions on the Tibetan Buddhism forum concerning recent events, then perhaps you may encounter a broader range of attitudes ?

http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php...=66762&st=0

Edited by chutai

If you look at the behaviour of the Tibetan followers of the Dalai Lama themselves I think Tibetan Buddhism doesn't encourage this behaviour.

I think there is a blurry line between people practicing Tibetan Buddhism in the West and political activists taking up the Tibetan cause in the West.

I may be wrong on this.

No, I think you have something here. I see many who claim Tibetan Buddhism as their own yet throw somemuch hate at the Chinese. I can't help but think it's political, but why choose a reilgion based on politics? Did they become followers of Tibetan Buddhism then become political or reverse?

Whilst not being exactly sure what you mean by "fanaticism" (?) I have to say that the discussions that I've encountered by Tibetan Mahayanists may convey a sense of anger but not anything more. I can understand that anger as that's the tradition, culture and country which they hold most dear.

Having said this , and in no way to disparage Tibetan Buddhism; the history of Buddhism in Tibet hasn't always been quite so passive as many would prefer to believe. The inter-monastery wars over who was to be the previous Dalai Lama being one case in point.

But if you care to wander over to e-sangha -- which ,I think, is about as representative of Western Tibetan Buddhism as you'll find -- and look at the discussions on the Tibetan Buddhism forum concerning recent events, then perhaps you may encounter a broader range of attitudes ?

http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php...=66762&st=0

Well, funny enough, it's that website which leads me to many of my questions along with others I have met around my neighborhood. I would love to have this conversation there as well yet fear how those in charge would respond, I have seen great support against whatever they feel doesn't support their Tibetan view. Since I really like the forum I do not wish to risk my banning.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found many Western "liberals" to be about as liberal as Hitler, when it gets down to brass tacks. It is merely the same thing from another side. They are reacting because they precieve opression - they are not reacting because they see something in Tibetan Buddhism itself... It is one fo the key reasons for the famous line "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"... Most of these same people will glorify Native Americans as having created Eden.

This isn't to pick on the pseudo liberals ... there are pseudo people of all stripes :o

• 2 weeks later...
I have found many Western "liberals" to be about as liberal as Hitler, when it gets down to brass tacks. It is merely the same thing from another side. They are reacting because they precieve opression - they are not reacting because they see something in Tibetan Buddhism itself... It is one fo the key reasons for the famous line "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"... Most of these same people will glorify Native Americans as having created Eden.

This isn't to pick on the pseudo liberals ... there are pseudo people of all stripes :o

I see, you are saying they are embracing Tibetan Buddhism, or any Buddhism for that matter, out of politics?

Basically, yes,  that is what I'm saying. I would not have put it like that - trying to capture the idea that 'the

enemy of my enemy is my friend' combined with the desire to support the oppressed...  but yes,  that is bas

ically 

"out of politics".  

In other words,  some people tend to see things in black and white.  If something 'evil' opposes somethng,  then that other thing must be 'good'.  End of story,  no further analyzation necessary.  Other points of view are simply not tolerated.  

I doubt many accept/'convert' to Buddhism out of a cold political calculation,  but I'm quite certain there are people in this world whom that would accurately describe. (you name it,  the world has it!)

I would like to reiterate that this is IMHO, and, IMHO, is only meant to describe a few people.