Makro Store

Coolpal39

There are no Makros in Pattaya.

There is one in Rayong, and one on route 3 that goes to Chon Buri town. It is past Bang Saen turn off, and about 2 kms past the Ang Sila turn off on the left hand side. About 10 mins drive this side of Chon Buri town.

I don't know the precise location of the Rayong Makro but I would say they are equi-distant from Pattaya - maybe 40 mins drive, depending on traffic conditions.

There are no Makros in Pattaya.

There is one in Rayong, and one on route 3 that goes to Chon Buri town. It is past Bang Saen turn off, and about 2 kms past the Ang Sila turn off on the left hand side. About 10 mins drive this side of Chon Buri town.

I don't know the precise location of the Rayong Makro but I would say they are equi-distant from Pattaya - maybe 40 mins drive, depending on traffic conditions.

The Rayong Makro is very easy to get too just take route 36 and as you enter Rayong it is on your right hand side.

Barry

This begs the question: Why would you (or anyone) go out of their way to shop at Makro? As far as I can tell (with one visit in the Chonburi branch some years ago), it was just another huge version of Big C or Lotus, but more wholesale like. Nothing special, medium to lower end market stuff. You can get all that in Pattaya at several outlets.

Or does it have to do with Makro having a special status selling to retailers/resellers? Please educate me, since this is a mystery to me.

And in passing, why waste time in these kind of stores anymore anyway, when Pattaya has such a wide choice of better quality outlets (Homeworks, Homepro, Kanyong, Boontaworn, and soon Central)?

And yes, prices may be a bit higher, but you will also find quality goods that will long outlast the very cheap stuff from the lower end stores.

Anyone?

This begs the question: Why would you (or anyone) go out of their way to shop at Makro? As far as I can tell (with one visit in the Chonburi branch some years ago), it was just another huge version of Big C or Lotus, but more wholesale like. Nothing special, medium to lower end market stuff. You can get all that in Pattaya at several outlets.

Or does it have to do with Makro having a special status selling to retailers/resellers? Please educate me, since this is a mystery to me.

And in passing, why waste time in these kind of stores anymore anyway, when Pattaya has such a wide choice of better quality outlets (Homeworks, Homepro, Kanyong, Boontaworn, and soon Central)?

And yes, prices may be a bit higher, but you will also find quality goods that will long outlast the very cheap stuff from the lower end stores.

Anyone?

So, educate me where can you purchase things like case lots of toilet paper? I buy this now at Costco stores in Canada.

Makro stores are massive. They carry a huge selection of name brand grocery products, alcohol , beer, electrical and electronic products, pharmacy, household hardware, stationery products, clothes, and even a very large fresh meat, veg and fruit section, and I am sure I have forgotten a few more things.

They are all name brands with often a bigger selection than you will even find in Tesos or Big C.

It is not down market or up market - maybe mid market.

Most, if not all of their products will be sold cheaper than any other store, but on many items not all) you will have to buy in quantity.

You do not have to be a member - anyone can go there.

The mini marts and Mom and pop stores do all their stocking up there.

For an averagely well off farang in Pattaya it's probably not worth the effort of driving there.If they open one in Pattaya it will be very popular.

it makes sense indeed for companies to buy their supplies there as you can buy a wide range of products in whole-sale quantities. Added convenience is that members get a VAT invoice printed in their company name by submitting their member card.

Downside: Last time I tried at the Rayong outlet they did not accept my credit card, as only the Macro Visa Card issued by Citybank is accepted. So I left the trolly full of merchandise worth 7,000 Baht at the cashier and purchased the stuff opposite at Big C without problems...

Makro has a huge range of products some of which are not available in "pack" sizes in Tesco or Big C so it is good for the small minimarts, their prices are usually below those for Tesco and BigC, and as said they issue full for tax invoices as a standard receipt, these are available from the others but you have to get them printed after the event (even Friendship will do this for you). The down side is they only accept cash or their own branded cards, they have a bank of ATM's with most of the popular flavours covered.

It is unfortunate that they have decided to go both sides of Pattaya and ignore the market in the middle. While the Rayong and Chon Buri/ Sri Racha stores are about he same distance away Rayong is the easiest toi get to as there is a lot less traffic and traffic lights.

Coolpal39: "So, educate me where can you purchase things like case lots of toilet paper? I buy this now at Costco stores in Canada".

Hmmm, I am not sure how to handle such a request, and I do not see the relevance on a thread on TV discussing the location (and merits, my intrusion) of Macro stores in the Chonburi/Rayong region. But if you have an unusually high demand for toilet paper, perhaps better to see a doctor than just wiping your derriere, as they say in Canada...?

Moving on, thanks to Mobi, raro and Chang_paarp who actually took the time to answer. I had some kind of feeling this store is focussed not so much on the end user, but the (perhaps small) retailer.

But it is a long time since I visited a Makro, so perhaps I should go back and see again. And learn more.

But now my next question: Is there ever going to be a limit to how many megastores and home improvement centers we have here (Pattaya)? I get dizzy, and thinking soon several of these stores will just fold and die. especially now since we are supposedly in "bad times" (whatever that means in terms of economics). But it seems to defy economical gravity. (When I say limit, I do not mean an imposed limit, just a supply and demand, profit or loss kind of limit)

Anyone?

Do you need to have a members card when you shop at macro ? They always seem to hassle me but I don't understand, after some time they come back and seem to issue me with a temporary number.

In the UK you have to be a member as they advertise prices minus VAT. They add the VAT back on when you get to the till which always amazes me, whats the point of advertising without the VAT if you end up adding it back on ???

....whats the point of advertising without the VAT if you end up adding it back on ???

If you're VAT-registered you can claim the tax back, so the price without VAT reflects what it will have actually cost you once you've claimed it back.

Can't complain about Makro in the UK: they churn out 12 big bottles of Singha for £16.50. Sainsbury knock 'em out at £2 a pop.

Scouse.

it makes sense indeed for companies to buy their supplies there as you can buy a wide range of products in whole-sale quantities. Added convenience is that members get a VAT invoice printed in their company name by submitting their member card.

Downside: Last time I tried at the Rayong outlet they did not accept my credit card, as only the Macro Visa Card issued by Citybank is accepted. So I left the trolly full of merchandise worth 7,000 Baht at the cashier and purchased the stuff opposite at Big C without problems...

E-v-e-r-y single time I go to the Chonburi Makro, there are at least a dozen of those abandoned carts full of items in front of the cashiers. They are always short on cashiers on top of hasslling with the credit cards and member cards. Nothing but another watered down Thai version of a foreign corporate name offering bad service, like Tesco Lotus.

Coolpal39: "So, educate me where can you purchase things like case lots of toilet paper? I buy this now at Costco stores in Canada".

Hmmm, I am not sure how to handle such a request, and I do not see the relevance on a thread on TV discussing the location (and merits, my intrusion) of Macro stores in the Chonburi/Rayong region. But if you have an unusually high demand for toilet paper, perhaps better to see a doctor than just wiping your derriere, as they say in Canada...?

Moving on, thanks to Mobi, raro and Chang_paarp who actually took the time to answer. I had some kind of feeling this store is focussed not so much on the end user, but the (perhaps small) retailer.

But it is a long time since I visited a Makro, so perhaps I should go back and see again. And learn more.

But now my next question: Is there ever going to be a limit to how many megastores and home improvement centers we have here (Pattaya)? I get dizzy, and thinking soon several of these stores will just fold and die. especially now since we are supposedly in "bad times" (whatever that means in terms of economics). But it seems to defy economical gravity. (When I say limit, I do not mean an imposed limit, just a supply and demand, profit or loss kind of limit)

Anyone?

To answer your question. I suffer with having colitis, and if it flares up I may go through a lot of toilet paper before it settles down.

CP

To answer your question. I suffer with having colitis, and if it flares up I may go through a lot of toilet paper before it settles down.

CP

Sorry CP, I made a faux pas. My joke is no longer funny (was it ever?). Now you see why my handle is MMC...

But as I did offer on another thread, if you like to contact me via PM, I would be happy to give you some advice on moving to/living in Thailand. I have been here 11 years, so I have picked up a few things on the way. And I promise not to be so flippant.

I prefer the Makro at Rayong as imagine the traffive at the Chonburi branch must be horrific!

They do have a web site where you can organise membership and get info on special offers.

But like every Makro I've experienced in the UK there are some good special offers and some very expensive things!

begs

CP

Please do yourself a favour and learn to enjoy the bum gun instead of using tissue. We hardly ever have to buy rolls of tissue as we use it only for "drying off" after a bum gun shower/cleansing. Kinder on the skin also. And ever so much more hygienic.

What I like most about Makro is that they sell large, good quality, paper dinner serviettes/napkins. Just like Costco. Very difficult to find elsewhere for those of us with ample laps.

• 1 year later...
I prefer the Makro at Rayong as imagine the traffive at the Chonburi branch must be horrific!

They do have a web site where you can organise membership and get info on special offers.

But like every Makro I've experienced in the UK there are some good special offers and some very expensive things!

begs

:) does anybody have any information when makro is opening their new store in Pattaya?