Samui Express

Got the Samui Express today expecting to read about shooting at Solo, Farang found dead in Moby Dick hotel or maybe something about 2am bar closing or how about some crime statistics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I assume this is supposed to be a newspaper am i wrong?

Ha ha, not exactly ear to the ground breaking news coverage is it :o I guess they're trying not to put too many people off :D Actually, that would be a great idea, a Samui tabloid newspaper jammers brimming with sleaze, squalor and all the lowdown going's on here. You might not want to show it to your mum, but you could sure get some great stories in there. Mark Lamai's 'lady-boy robbery and getting beaten up by the Fusion door staff' story posted here about a month back would be a strong candidate for the opening issue :D

As mentioned before, the editor needs to actually pick up a newspaper to see what a real one looks like

Suggestions

Pattaya City News

Phuket Gazzette

As at the moment Samui Express is in one word ' S*&t '

tx

Ha ha, not exactly ear to the ground breaking news coverage is it :o I guess they're trying not to put too many people off :D Actually, that would be a great idea, a Samui tabloid newspaper jammers brimming with sleaze, squalor and all the lowdown going's on here. You might not want to show it to your mum, but you could sure get some great stories in there. Mark Lamai's 'lady-boy robbery and getting beaten up by the Fusion door staff' story posted here about a month back would be a strong candidate for the opening issue :D

HOW ABOUT A NEW THREAD SAMUI NEWS CLIPPINGS, IT WILL SAVE 20bt EVERY 2 WEEKS AND WILL BE REAL NEWS

Surat governor rejects cityhood, plan for 2nd airport revived, pilot being charged, man killed at Thai bar, woman arrested trying to flee Samui for bad checks, new forest land scam uncovered, Samui tourism income to reach B200m, all the money raised for footballer Matt Hampson, Koh Tao guests complaining about loud music, how tourist can get a tax refund, ban on driving while talking on cell phone, other news about Thailand in general, a review of a great spa for everyone including locals to go to, a letter to Samui Express about the filthy beaches, a story about the developer who had The Peak, a new hotel opening, birdwatching in Thailand, a story about traveling to India, news about how more Thais are beginning to travel overseas, how to control diabetes, a story about the abuse in Burma, some sports stories, a comics page, an astrology page, 2 sudoko puzzles, a crossword puzzle, classifieds, movie reviews, a touching story about a place where you can take the family and have a BBQ while the kids play in a playground, a bar that shows classic movies, a story about the Italian ambassador's visit to Samui, a story on Isan food, a story about how fireworks and alcohol don't mix, how Koh Phangan is getting more and more Asian tourists and how an art show went (isn't everyone always complaining about no culture here?)

I dunno, seems like quite a bit of information to me and some pretty decent articles too for just 20 baht.

Oh, and the adverts to let people know what's to do and what's for sale around the island.

Surat governor rejects cityhood, plan for 2nd airport revived, pilot being charged, man killed at Thai bar, woman arrested trying to flee Samui for bad checks, new forest land scam uncovered, Samui tourism income to reach B200m, all the money raised for footballer Matt Hampson, Koh Tao guests complaining about loud music, how tourist can get a tax refund, ban on driving while talking on cell phone, other news about Thailand in general, a review of a great spa for everyone including locals to go to, a letter to Samui Express about the filthy beaches, a story about the developer who had The Peak, a new hotel opening, birdwatching in Thailand, a story about traveling to India, news about how more Thais are beginning to travel overseas, how to control diabetes, a story about the abuse in Burma, some sports stories, a comics page, an astrology page, 2 sudoko puzzles, a crossword puzzle, classifieds, movie reviews, a touching story about a place where you can take the family and have a BBQ while the kids play in a playground, a bar that shows classic movies, a story about the Italian ambassador's visit to Samui, a story on Isan food, a story about how fireworks and alcohol don't mix, how Koh Phangan is getting more and more Asian tourists and how an art show went (isn't everyone always complaining about no culture here?)

I dunno, seems like quite a bit of information to me and some pretty decent articles too for just 20 baht.

Oh, and the adverts to let people know what's to do and what's for sale around the island.

A good NEWSpaper does not engage in selective reporting. And you mention the adverts!!!!!! :o

A good NEWSpaper does not engage in selective reporting.

Clearly you know nothing of what you speak. I am a journalist and was a newspaper man for years. First, there is always more news than space in which to put it in, in a newspaper. Second, you obviously have never attended a news meeting at a newspaper. Try watching the movie The Paper (1994). If memory serves, there is a scene or two in the news meeting where the heads of each section pitch stories to the editor, who greenlights them or rejects them. In essence, the editor selects what goes in the paper.

I have myself run news meetings and selected what went into a national newspaper for the day.

The problem with the Express is, as I see it:

1. Most likely understaffed with people lacking in journalistic backgrounds; perhaps edited and put together by only a couple of people (although I could do the whole thing myself (put it together, not that AND the reporting/photography), so maybe there is only one mad, mastermind behind the whole evil project).

2. Poor writing/editing.

3. Inadequate reporting (probably due to reporters not having any training in the craft).

4. Amateur layout (including bland photographs).

Do you really think they have heads os each section at the express, i may not be a reporter but if you were or are, surley you would not put your name to the express. ALL I WANT IS THE NEWS, MOST OF WHAT YOU GET IN THE EXPRESS IS FROM A CENTRAL NEWS AGENCY AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SAMUI. The express is a no bad newspaper fot tourists.