Chiang Khong To Chiang Rai To Pai

MissAnge

Hi all...

am planning a little trip and would love some thoughts from folks in the know...

I am planning on crossing back into Thailand at Chiang Khong and then I'd like to get to Pai.

How long does it take to get to Chiang Rai from Chiang Khong (are there lots of regular bus departures?)? From Chiang Rai I was thinking of renting a car to drive to Pai, spend a few days there and then drive to Chiang Mai to return the car - I need to find a bigger rental company that will allow me to do this... I would have liked to skip Pai and make it to MHS but I don't think I will have time. I will be in Chiang Khong on the afternoon/evening of a Thursday and then fly out of Chiang Mai the following Tuesday... thoughts or suggestions would be awesome!

Thanks

Hi all...

am planning a little trip and would love some thoughts from folks in the know...

I am planning on crossing back into Thailand at Chiang Khong and then I'd like to get to Pai.

How long does it take to get to Chiang Rai from Chiang Khong (are there lots of regular bus departures?)? From Chiang Rai I was thinking of renting a car to drive to Pai, spend a few days there and then drive to Chiang Mai to return the car - I need to find a bigger rental company that will allow me to do this... I would have liked to skip Pai and make it to MHS but I don't think I will have time. I will be in Chiang Khong on the afternoon/evening of a Thursday and then fly out of Chiang Mai the following Tuesday... thoughts or suggestions would be awesome!

Thanks

HI MA,

CK - CR allow 1-2 hrs

Just did the CR -Pai-MHS- CM-CR trip a couple of weeks ago

over 3 days

Left CR at about 2.30 pm

Drove to Pai via CM -arrived about 7.30 p.m

First leg averaged over 100 Km/hr

Last hour was in the dark and quite hairy and slow going

If you are new to Thai driving -not advised to drive this road at night

Better start early

Southern route from CM to MHS via Hot is much faster going

first part very fast roads nearer MHS the usual bends

4-5 hrs driving

Pai to MHS slow but beautiful

tung tsz

there are 2 different bus routes from CK to CR. T he bus that goes via Thoeng takes at least 1 hour longer. The more direct bus takes 2 hours.

bus leaves about every hour. last bus is about 6pm

Budget rent a car in CR next to AUA . There is a place to stay next door