Police Raid Two Firms Offering Online Match-making Services

Thaising

KHON KAEN : Police yesterday raided two firms offering match-making services in the province of Khon Kaen after allegations of swindling. The police team raided the Thai Publuk and Thai Zury companies in Muang district which provide online match-making services for Thai women wanting to find foreign partners.

The raid followed complaints by more than 50 northeastern women, who claimed they had been deceived by the firms, which promised to find foreign husbands for them. They claimed the firms failed to honour agreements.

Pol Lt-Col Weerawuth Siangsai, the chief of the suppression division at the Khon Kaen police station, said women from Khon Kaen and neighbouring provinces had hired the match-making firms.

They told the firms about what they expected of the foreigners they wanted to marry. The firms later contacted foreigners and suggested they chat with the women on the firm's websites.

The correspondence and online match-making service lasted two months and each woman was charged 5,000 baht.

If the two sides wanted to meet, the firms would arrange places for them to see each other face to face. The meeting places included Suvarnabhumi airport and tourist venues, said Pol Lt-Col Weerawuth.

If the two sides agreed to marry, they had to pay 50,000 baht to the service providers, the police officer said. The firm would also get 10% of the dowry money.

Pol Lt-Col Weerawuth said there are six match-making firms in Khon Kaen with over 1,000 registered customers.

Police had been unable to act against the firms earlier because women had not filed charges. Many felt they would be embarrassed if their stories were made public. Most simply gave information to police but did not press charges, said the officer.

I certainly don't condone "swindling," but it's hard to tell from the OP just how the companies failed to honor their agreements.... Probably that's due to the customarily incomplete reporting in the local news media.

But, the report talks about the company soliciting men, and helping arrange meetings with suitors in different places. That sounds like what they presumably were hired to do. Dunno if the ladies were expecting a money-back guarantee...as in... no marriage...no pay????? It seems there's NEVER any guarantees for any purchases here.

I love these matchmaking services...not just in KK but all around Isan... My favorite part is where the companies, or the local lady arranger, has a deal to take a cut of the sin sod or who knows God what else...

I certainly don't condone "swindling," but it's hard to tell from the OP just how the companies failed to honor their agreements.... Probably that's due to the customarily incomplete reporting in the local news media.

But, the report talks about the company soliciting men, and helping arrange meetings with suitors in different places. That sounds like what they presumably were hired to do. Dunno if the ladies were expecting a money-back guarantee...as in... no marriage...no pay????? It seems there's NEVER any guarantees for any purchases here.

I love these matchmaking services...not just in KK but all around Isan... My favorite part is where the companies, or the local lady arranger, has a deal to take a cut of the sin sod or who knows God what else...

the honey moon ? :o

If the two sides agreed to marry, they had to pay 50,000 baht to the service providers, the police officer said. The firm would also get 10% of the dowry money.

'They' being the foreigner in this deal, who not ever having seen the terms of contract has been lumbered with 'one more' debt before he starts.

Milk the cash cow!

Mind, at least it gets him setting off in the fashions by which he's expected to continue.

Just the tip of the iceberg, from what I have seen here. Many of these brokers are scaming both Thais & Farangs alike. Congrats to the police. I have personally know several people engaged in this business & would not trust them around the corner.

There may be six firms registered to do this business, but there are many more not registered who are freelancing.

And here I was thinking that this whole match making scandal would be something to do with illegal logging in Isaan.

Don't I feel stupid.

I am thinking of setting up such a company, this will be my marketing.

Match Making.

Because some things are better left burning.

These guys seem to follow a different strategy

Match Making.

Because even fat chicks and obese shorts and sandals wearing men deserve love.