Divorce In Thailand

thaimania

Just wondering if anyone has gone through a divorce. My wife and I have decided t call it quits and intend to get an administrative divorce - the kind where both of you agree and do it at the district office and do not go to court.

Now here's the question: We married in 1995 at the Phrakhanong district office here in Bangkok. Do we have to get the divorce at the same district office? She lives in Chiang Rai, and it would be more convenient for me to go up there if it is possible to do the divorce at any district office. Otherwise, if we have to go to Prakhanong, I will have to make arrangements for her to come down to Bangkok, which may not be so convenient.

Would like to hear from anyone who knows how this works ..... Thanks.

Just wondering if anyone has gone through a divorce. My wife and I have decided t call it quits and intend to get an administrative divorce - the kind where both of you agree and do it at the district office and do not go to court.

Now here's the question: We married in 1995 at the Phrakhanong district office here in Bangkok. Do we have to get the divorce at the same district office? She lives in Chiang Rai, and it would be more convenient for me to go up there if it is possible to do the divorce at any district office. Otherwise, if we have to go to Prakhanong, I will have to make arrangements for her to come down to Bangkok, which may not be so convenient.

If you both agree to the divorce you can go to any local Amphur to get divorced, and it's free. You will need to go together and take your marriage certificate and your passport/ID card.The divorce form is just a single page form where you fill in your personal/marriage details and you both have to sign it. The only other questions concern any children you have together and any assets you have aquired together IN THAILAND DURING YOUR MARRIAGE. Assets are usually split 50/50 but any split is acceptable as long as you both agree. You also have to agree on where any children you have together will live,etc. It's all very straight foreward and takes less than two hours. Just one thing though, your wifes ID card must show she is married even if she didn't take your surname when you you married. If it doesn't she will have to go to her local Amphur to change it first. Like you I married in Bangkok in 1995 and we were going to get divorced in the same office last year but because her ID card shew her as single she had to go to Korat to get it changed so I traveled with her and we got divorced in her local Amphur in Korat. She then had to change her ID card back to single again afterwards.

• 2 months later...

If you both agree to the divorce you can go to any local Amphur to get divorced, and it's free. You will need to go together and take your marriage certificate and your passport/ID card.The divorce form is just a single page form where you fill in your personal/marriage details and you both have to sign it. The only other questions concern any children you have together and any assets you have aquired together IN THAILAND DURING YOUR MARRIAGE. Assets are usually split 50/50 but any split is acceptable as long as you both agree. You also have to agree on where any children you have together will live,etc. It's all very straight foreward and takes less than two hours. Just one thing though, your wifes ID card must show she is married even if she didn't take your surname when you you married. If it doesn't she will have to go to her local Amphur to change it first. Like you I married in Bangkok in 1995 and we were going to get divorced in the same office last year but because her ID card shew her as single she had to go to Korat to get it changed so I traveled with her and we got divorced in her local Amphur in Korat. She then had to change her ID card back to single again afterwards.

Sorry to sneak into this 3d.. I assume reading it that in case of marriage the future thai wife is not forced to change surname on ID card and passport? She can choose to keep her's thai surname instead of aquiring mine? We're looking to marry soon and is one point she don't like: she would keep her name, for me it's ok, but my question is: she can with no problem?

Thanks for the answer.

Bye

Max

Sorry to sneak into this 3d.. I assume reading it that in case of marriage the future thai wife is not forced to change surname on ID card and passport? She can choose to keep her's thai surname instead of aquiring mine? We're looking to marry soon and is one point she don't like: she would keep her name, for me it's ok, but my question is: she can with no problem?

Thanks for the answer.

Bye

Max

She can keep her own name, with no problem.

Thanks for the answer.

Bye

Max

She can choose whether to keep her own name or use yours. My ex wife kept her own name on Thai documents (ID card, passports, etc) but used my surname for everything once we went to the UK. In the past she had to show on her ID card that she was 'Mrs' but she changed it back to 'Ms' when we separated and before we got divorced, that was then a problem and she had to go back to her local Amphur and change it back to Mrs just for the divorce.

I believe the law has recently changed and a married woman can can now choose to stay a 'Ms' on her ID card.