Car Show Expects Huge Crowd

george

Car show expects huge crowd

BANGKOK: -- Motorists will be packing the 29th Bangkok International Motor Show in search of the best deals for new cars and trucks.

The show, which starts today at Bitec and runs until April 6, will also provide a glimpse of the latest trends in the automotive industry.

According to organiser Dr Prachin Eamlumnow, as many as 15,000 vehicles are expected to be sold at the show this year. Sales should be worth about Bt22 billion.

"The show will give the automobile industry a strong boost," he said. "It is one of the country's main manufacturing sectors."

The show, which is one of the largest auto exhibition events in Asia, will this year promote the theme of "Environmental Auto Globalisation".

The move reflects the automotive world's shift towards alternative energy and environmental concerns.

The show also welcomes Indian newcomer Tata, which has launched its pickup truck, the Xenon, in the local market.

The Xenon is assembled in Thailand and will be competing in the lucrative pickup market against powerful Japanese rivals.

Restored confidence after the election is expected to boost car sales this year. In the first two months, 94,657 units were sold, a 15.09-per-cent increase from the same period last year.

Throughout this year, vehicle sales are expected to reach 700,000 units, up 11 per cent from 631,251 last year.

-- The Nation 2008-03-28

From Reuters:

mazda.jpg

A model presents the Mazda CX-9 during a preview of the Bangkok International Motor Show March 27, 2008.

ford.jpg

A model presents the Ford Ranger 4x4 during a preview of the Bangkok International Motor Show.

isuzu.jpg

A model presents the Isuzu MU-7 Gold Series during a preview of the Bangkok International Motor Show.

Edited by sriracha john

I think the Reuters news team was distracted, but I'm not sure.

:o

doesn't look like they were distracted to me - kept their eyes right on target

While Reuters continues to focus in properly...

tata.jpg

Models pose beside the Tata Xenon during a preview of the Bangkok International Motor Show in Bangkok

Over at the Associated Press, the same pattern develops...

toyota.jpg

A model rides on personal mobilities Toyota i-Real at Bangkok International Motor Show in Bangkok, Thailand Thursday, March 27, 2008.

AP

Bangkok Intnl Motor Show 'shows' less skin fans complain

BANGKOK: -- Skin fans give a big thumbs down to International motor show and its theme of 'clean and green'

Some Bangkok International Motor Show patrons are yelling foul this year: where are all the scantily clad promotion girls?

But some exhibitors say the sex was taking over the show. Plus, gorgeous girls in revealing kit don't match the image they're seeking in 2008: "clean and green". This year the eye candy is still a big part of the show, but it's less "exposed".

Honda Auto sales-promotion manager Chanitnart Kasivate tells Sunday Xpress that the launch of the new Jazz requires its "event girls" to parade in blue-and-white dresses, "to match the colour of the car. We chose natural tones and said no to 'sexy dresses'," he explains.

"Our concept is earth tones with some gold to make our booth and girls look elegant, in line with the high-class concept of our Lexus models. Our girls need to look smart rather than sexy. Their look represents our image," Saatchi chief executive Oranat Asanasen tells this newspaper.

But the girls' fans are upset, and in big numbers.

"I miss the sexy dresses and posing. I'm not a dirty-minded person, but I believe sex is part of the show, part of its colour," protests Manaschai Saetong, 30, a shopkeeper.

"Without event girls, I bet it's hard to get the huge crowds to come to the event. Sure, the real hard-core car fans will come, but I don't think they'll get the colossal numbers of other years," he says.

"To me, the girls are one of five main components of motor shows. Sure, they're dressed less sexy this year ... but they still look good," says Sitthidage Nanure, 28.

"I've come to the motor show every year for five years, to see new motor technology and, for sure, the girls.

"I know, some people may come to motor shows just to see the girls," says Panisara Sukkrasanti, 23, a Honda display girl. She's happy with her costume for this year's show. She explains the less-revealing number is a lot easier to get about in. "We can look good without looking cheap. Our job is to present the cars to the audience. This year's dress allows me to do that. Not like last year, when I was more worried about showing too much," she concludes.

--The Nation 2008-03-30

Just got back from it and not a bad pitch....Lotsa nice looking ladies and some not bad looking motors although K wifee and I both agreed that the The Xenon will probabally not be on the shopping list...looks a bit OLD....... :o ..o dear

Bangkok Intnl Motor Show 'shows' less skin fans complain

BANGKOK: -- Skin fans give a big thumbs down to International motor show and its theme of 'clean and green'

the girls' fans are upset, and in big numbers.

Based on posted photos and links thus far, the above is definitely true.... :o

lemme guess....

Culture Ministry... :D

Edited by sriracha john