Nissan Overcharged 3,000 Baht For Repair/paint

george

A few days ago I left my Nissan to the local authorized dealer for replacing a spoiler skirt and do some paint job on the car. I got a fixed price (written offer) of 12,000 Baht + VAT.

Yesterday they suddenly called me and say it will cost 3,000 Baht extra. I asked for what? Extra paint job was the answer. Not happy with it, I said I will discuss it when I pick the car. What choice did i have?

Today I just picked the car up, and I can clearly see they have overcharged me 3,000 Baht, as there was no extra paint job. I complained politely, but I didn't make it a big deal. I could see in the eyes of the service guy that I have been cheated.

I quietly paid with my MasterCard as they had no Manager available on a Saturday, and I was in a hurry.

Do I have any consumer rights here? As I paid with card i could always do a charge back, I reckon. (That would only take me 5 minutes).

I don't care so much about 3,000 Baht, my time is more valuable, but the question is, what rights do I have as a consumer in Thailand?

I guess I should just forget the whole story.

Another day in paradise! :o

Hi George,

I dunno how many panels had to be painted and what kind of damage (dents, scratches how big).

Is it an effect color or a solid.

Did the spoiler had a factory primer on it.

Normally the price for repainting a panel with some small dents and or scratches will be between 3 and 4000 Baht.

I would not have payed the extra 3000.

Speak to the service manager and ask him to explain. If he does not immediately refund the 3000 baht, explain that you will be disputing the charge, AND you will writing to Nissan corporate offices (Thailand and Japan) to resolve the issue if he is not willing to do so.

You didn't explain how many parts they painted. Did the spoiler skirt had cracks? Did they replaced the skirt? If yeas did they really replaced or just repaired? Did they poliesterered? IMPORTANT: Usally you don't go tho a dealership for paintwork. You go to a Paintshop. Manytimes the dealer not do the job by himself, they give the car to a paintshop too and just add some extra money for them. Be smart next time!

By the way: Consumer rights in Thailand? We aren't in America. Forget it!, they called you for the extra 3'000. Basicly they should wait with finishing the Job until you agree to pay extra 3'000 Baht. Wenn everything is done, it's to late to complain.