Thailand Urged To Ease Visa And Work Procedures

george

Thailand eases regulations to draw more Japanese investment

BANGKOK: -- The Thai government will amend its regulations to facilitate Japanese investment in this country, according to Mingkwan Saengsuwan, deputy prime minister and commerce minister.

His remarks were made after he met with senior officials of the Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) in Bangkok Friday.

During the meeting JETRO officials expressed concern regarding Thailand's laws and regulations dealing with alien business, particularly those imposed by the previous military-installed government of prime minister Gen. Surayud Chulanont, Mr. Mingkwan said.

In order to dispel worries, Mr. Mingkwan said he had told JETRO officials that the current Thai government would do whatever it could to smooth Japanese investment in Thailand.

Both sides also discussed agreements under the framework of the Japan-Thailand Economic Partnership Agreement (JTEPA) and Japan-ASEAN trade, he said.

JTEPA came into effect on Nov 1, 2007.

According to Mr. Mingkwan, JETRO officials said that a number of Japanese investors planned to relocate their production bases to Thailand and urged the Bangkok government to ease visa and work procedures.

--TNA 2008-03-29

According to Mr. Mingkwan, JETRO officials said that a number of Japanese investors planned to relocate their production bases to Thailand and urged the Bangkok government to ease visa and work procedures.

For just the Japanese or all nationalities?

For just the Japanese or all nationalities?

"Both sides also discussed agreements under the framework of the Japan-Thailand Economic Partnership Agreement (JTEPA) and Japan-ASEAN trade, he said"

Seems to me that it is just the Japanese. I would not be surprised to see the Russians and the Koreans included in such deals. They are all heavy investors these days, and their respective governments are heavily pro-business and actively developing business relationships with Thailand. For example, Thailand is negotiating to buy oil and gas from Russia.

I cannot remember learning of one business development project in Thailand with US, UK, or EU money. Our Western goverments are letting us down here, I guess they do not think Thailand is big or important enough.

Edited by khunyae

.....edit.......I cannot remember learning of one business development project in Thailand with US, UK, or EU money. Our Western goverments are letting us down here, I guess they do not think Thailand is big or important enough.

So, who build the BTS - Skytrain?

Who build the bridge connecting Thailand and Laos ?

Major Foreign Investors in Thailand:

U.S.A.

Japan

Canada

Netherlands

Taiwan

Singapore

U.K.

Malaysia

Switzerland

France

Hong Kong

Germany

India

Australia

Indonesia

Korea

Belgium

China

Italy

Philippines

Total

Value figures in millions of US dollars

(Figures are from 1999!)

Source:

Sorry, couldn't find any more recent figures fast enough...but this gives a pretty good Idea - I believe...

But China and the UAE are of more interest those days.....!

Relax guys.

The title of this thread is misleading. George should correct it.

And furthermore, the title is linked to a -also- misleading article.

The guys at TNA are totally lunatic.

"current Thai government would do whatever it could to smooth Japanese investment in Thailand."

Period. It's just a wish.

It's just the minister who said some nice and sweet words to his japanese hosts... Don't forget : they have accepted to give a loan of 20 billions THB to finance the purple line ! Surapong is in Japan to sign the deal.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=126787

So, I repeat : cocktail talk.

Nothing more.

I cannot remember learning of one business development project in Thailand with US, UK, or EU money. Our Western goverments are letting us down here, I guess they do not think Thailand is big or important enough.

There's one going on right now in Phuket, The Italians and the Thais are getting together to re-wire the island with fibre-optic cable:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...9&hl=phuket

But in general Western companies prefer to have their APac HQs in Singapore, HK or Sydney, for obvious reasons.

Everybody just relax...IF any changes are made re visa and/or investment privileges, they will apply to most, if not all countries, equally. Certainly the business investment changes would likely have to apply to all countries equally per WTO rules. Any forthcoming visa/wp changes would certainly apply to classes of nations as they do now.

Everybody just relax...IF any changes are made re visa and/or investment privileges, they will apply to most, if not all countries, equally. Certainly the business investment changes would likely have to apply to all countries equally per WTO rules. Any forthcoming visa/wp changes would certainly apply to classes of nations as they do now.

Then why are visa regulations already different for UK citizens than they are for US citizens?

Different class? :o

Then why are visa regulations already different for UK citizens than they are for US citizens?

Different class? :o

How are they different? Never heard of this.