General Phuket Questions.

Cavannagh

Hi there...my first post.

I'm hoping for some specific info regarding a short-term stay in Phuket.

I am going to spend a month in Phuket starting in May. I have seen some online advertisements for Muay Thai health camps in Phuket, the main one I am looking at is in Rawai. Has anyone heard anything about these types of setups? I mean, any bad stories and are they reputable?

I would be staying in Phuket Town so I am wondering what some of you would recommend is the best way to get between Phuket Town and Rawai...they seem to be quite close? Public transport or hire a scooter? I have a regular Australian drivers license (not bike) - I'm not sure if I will need an international driving permit?

Emmm...well I guess I am open to doing something other than the Muay Thai camps. Without getting into personal reasons, I'm just looking for something to do to kill time during the day. Lazing around on the beach seems like it would get boring quite fast and I don't reallt like taking "tours"...I like to just do my own thing at my own pace.

if i may suggest that you do take up scuba diving it is great and you will enjoy it and since you are there over a month you can take it easy do it step by step as to have something to do over the weeks like 2 days of diving every week will get you your advanced,

phuket town to rawai, best thing is to rent a bike, and you will have the the bike to go else where, if you want your own schedule.

driving with no licence i am not sure how that works for Australians.

Scuba diving - Jeez, I never even thought of that. I did a beginner PADI course when I was in high school, I think it certified me to go down 15 meters. That was over ten years ago now, I would definitely need a refresher course.

Thanks for the suggestion. :o

yes two days and you can upgrade it to an open water, two more days can upgrade it to adventure diving and another two days advanced,

PM me and i will give you the name of those guys i used to work for the greatest guys the friendliest as well.

hey two days a week to enjoy your time, spen time in eth sun , as well as improve yourself is a great way to spend a vacation.

There is a regular & cheap bus service between Phuket Town & Rawai, But service stops about 18.00

Rent a bike would be the best way, but you WILL need an international driving permit, and DO NOT listen to what anyone else says, this is the law and will save you a 300 baht fine each day you are stopped. Police checks not interested in a long story.

I rode around Phuket for 3 months in 2006. I only got pulled up one time in Patong I gave the officer my WA Class C lic (NOT BIKE) he let he go.

Hired a bike 3 times last year never got pulled up. Most of the time travelling with my wife and 2 sons on the Bike. The boys always wear helments.

A Bike is the best way to go in Phuket. I drove a car around Phuket did not enjoy it to much.

Hire a bike and Ride Carefully. I lost count of the number of accidents I seen.

The Muay Thai in Rawai has a good reputation. Going there from Phuket Town you will pass Chalong Circle, where there are police checks every day, and quite often they stop motorbikes to check for insurance and DL. So make sure you have one, and wear your helmet as well.

yes two days and you can upgrade it to an open water, two more days can upgrade it to adventure diving and another two days advanced,
Op did a beginner course in high school, so probably he already has the open water certification. So an upgrade does not make much sense, a refresher would though. Also, it does not take 2 days to become adventure diver or 4 days to become advanced.

If you want to train both sessions every day, it would be a bit inconvenient to travel from Phuket town to Rawai twice a day. There is a lot of nice accommodation closer to the camps as well in case you can consider this, as well as directly in the camps. Most people enjoy the Muay Thai training very much, it's good exercise, a lot of fun and you are in close contact with Thai people to practice your language skills and learn about the culture. You can also meet other foreigners and make friends to go with at night.

correct steven

but since he is limited to what Cavannagh says is 15 meters, most likely it is 12 meters which makes it a scuba diver course that little course between a discover scuba diver and an open water, or it can be a junior open water where he would need a refresher and an upgrade, depending where he goes and negotiate it will still be considered as an upgrade,.

again an adventure diver is three dives, it takes one day to make it as beech dives if he wants to enjoy a more relaxed day it takes two boat days, unless he wants to make the intro to nitrox,

for the advanced it takes another day, so you can make it in for days should you do two day boat dives with a nitrox, or two days off the beach.

now again i have been out of diving now for two years but that is what i remember

Great info, thanks for the replies everyone...especially on the driving side of things. Think I'll grab a scooter and get an international permit just to be sure, I don't think it's too much hassle to grab one before I go.

stevenl

Op did a beginner course in high school, so probably he already has the open water certification. So an upgrade does not make much sense, a refresher would though. Also, it does not take 2 days to become adventure diver or 4 days to become advanced.

I'm not completely sure. But when I did it I remember starting in a swimming pool then moving onto open water in a sheltered little cove, so I assume it's open water. It was winter in Tasmania and I remember freezing my nuts off...Phuket should be a dream compared to that.

Thanks, Zeid. I'll shoot you a PM.

Muay Thai and some diving it is.

I don't know where to start.

As a four, coming up five year visitor, 2 - 3 months at a time, cupla times a year.

I would say, staying in Phuket Town would be a dog.

Buses, wait til ya see them..... LOL 25 Baht from PT to Rawai last trip.

Most nite life is in Patong, altho other places, Karon and Kata do have a nite life too.

There are a number of really neat places near Rawai, Youth Hostel in Chalong is good and cheap, management great.

A bit more upmarket, still cheap is Shanti Lodges. Real Thai atmosphere.

Scuba diving, yes, gofrit. On Raya Yai, there is a place you can stay where Raya Divers have a base, just what you need.

I used my OZ driving licence on Phuket. I now use my Kiwi licence. I have never been stopped in nigh on five years. Lucky I guess. International permit would be a good idea, but you would need a m/c endorsement.

That depends where you hire. My fave bar owner hires me a bike 150 bahtper day, just lucky.

Make sure you wear the helmet, which if supplied, would be as good as an eggshell. A $2.00 shop parka would be handy, mite rain..... bet it will rain.....LOL

I hope to be back in June, for a month or more, love it around Chalong.

PM me if interested in anything around that area.

Cheers Matey.

As an old git of fifty but with a bit of life in me yet I have to say that to say that Phuket has no night life is cr*p, there are many really fun clubs and bars where Thai's and Farangs mix and have a good time in a better way than the Patong rip off joints.

You even get Thai girlies that aren't after the free drinks at three times the price to the farang.

Stay in Phuket, get a legal bike for the day, Rawai Muay Thai is good. Club in Phuket or if you end up having a few too many stay in a cheap room in Rawai for the night. You can get an a/c room for 500THB in May.

Enjoy

with regards to driving licences, if you dont have a full motorbike licence at home, then your travel insurance will not cover you in the event of an accident in thailand. check your policy, but thats the way it used to be and im pretty sure it hasnt changed.

Hi there...my first post.

I'm hoping for some specific info regarding a short-term stay in Phuket.

I am going to spend a month in Phuket starting in May. I have seen some online advertisements for Muay Thai health camps in Phuket, the main one I am looking at is in Rawai. Has anyone heard anything about these types of setups? I mean, any bad stories and are they reputable?

I would be staying in Phuket Town so I am wondering what some of you would recommend is the best way to get between Phuket Town and Rawai...they seem to be quite close? Public transport or hire a scooter? I have a regular Australian drivers license (not bike) - I'm not sure if I will need an international driving permit?

Emmm...well I guess I am open to doing something other than the Muay Thai camps. Without getting into personal reasons, I'm just looking for something to do to kill time during the day. Lazing around on the beach seems like it would get boring quite fast and I don't reallt like taking "tours"...I like to just do my own thing at my own pace.

I thought the Muay Thai camps offered accomodations?

Why Phuket Town?

There are little guest houses in Chalong, Wilai guest house just before Chalong circle is clean and cheap.

Two birds with one stone there, you have the Chalong Pier and diving companies around the corner, your Muay Thai camp 5 minutes away.

Also, very underated area, Rawai Beach. Great barbecue in the evenings, funky little bars abound, and during the day longtails who will take you out to some islands (take a sun umbrella, a girl and some lunch).

Welcome, and have fun.

Cheers, HB

One thing not mentiond so far for transport.

The motor bike taxis, always there and cheap.

If you stay in Chalong, or nearby.

The rank for m/bike taxis at the circle under a tree on the pier road corner.

A price list is attached to the tree, check it out and then get a definite fare from a driver.

Most rides around 25 - 50 Baht.

donna

with regards to driving licences, if you dont have a full motorbike licence at home, then your travel insurance will not cover you in the event of an accident in thailand. check your policy, but thats the way it used to be and im pretty sure it hasnt changed.

Zpete

I used my OZ driving licence on Phuket. I now use my Kiwi licence. I have never been stopped in nigh on five years. Lucky I guess. International permit would be a good idea, but you would need a m/c endorsement.

Hmmm...more to consider. I really like the idea of grabbing a scooter so I'm leaning towards taking the gamble. Hopefully I'll be fine.

huggybear

I thought the Muay Thai camps offered accomodations?

Why Phuket Town?

Yeah, it would be ideal to stay in Rawai for the Muay Thai...

My gf is Thai, she works as an architect and her BKK practice just sent her to work in Phuket office for few months. I'll be staying with her in Phuket Town so accomodation is not an issue. They have her working like a slave so I'm just looking for things to do during the day. I probably wont be doing much of the night/bar scene etc.

I would hit her up for these questions but she hasn't been in Thailand long after years studying in Oz and has never been to Phuket before.

Ahhh, now I understand the Phuket Town bit.

Yeah, grab a scooter and whizz around.

The trip to the Muay Thai is on good flat sealed roads, well signposted to Rawai.

Good luck, happy hols on Phuket.