Surat Thani Governer Pledges To Help The Islands

In recognition of the massive growth faced by Samui, Phangan and Tao over the past years the Surat Thani Governor has vowed to dedicate 100% of the income from taxes from these islands to help develop adequate infrastrucure; rebuild roads, install sewage systems, and to ensure adequate water and electricity. There is also a plan to purchase water desalination plants and purchase "green" rubbish incinerators.

The major big box stores on the island, Tesco Lotus, Big C and Makro, as well as all the luxury hotels on the island, have all pledged to match funds with the government in a bid to "clean Samui up".

In light of the recent spate of crime, he's also vowed to clean up the local police departments, require re-training of all police so that they learn to speak English, and can deal with tourist issues as well as recruit new police to help ensure adequate patrolling of all areas.

Business owners, residents and tourists, when asked, thought it a great idea. "It's an idea whose time has come" stated the President of the Tourism Association for the three islands.

Source: Surat Thani News Today

Interesting read and good news for change about the Island. I just hope he delivers on his words.

Good to hear some of the large corporations also getting involved financial 'giving back'

I have to say I have seen a lot of construction on most roads on Koh Samui over the past months with new drainage etc, street lighting and even walking pavements being put into place, notably the Bangrak and choengmon area .

I wonder when they plan to start all this?

In recognition of the massive growth faced by Samui, Phangan and Tao over the past years the Surat Thani Governor has vowed to dedicate 100% of the income from taxes from these islands to help develop adequate infrastrucure; rebuild roads, install sewage systems, and to ensure adequate water and electricity. There is also a plan to purchase water desalination plants and purchase "green" rubbish incinerators.

Better late than never, but i suspect he is just trying to silence the critics with regard to his refusal af granting samui city status although it meets all the requirements as layed out in the constitution

Moved to where? I did post before mid-day, sorry you missed that. As you can see, other April Fools day jokes are still running in the News Clipping but since you are so perturbed by my sorry attempt at an April Fools Day joke. I will just close this one and Rooo's as well. Although I am not sure why you didn't make a similar complaint in his thread either?

April fools for those with a sense of humor

///CLOSED///