Thai Bank/savings Account

Hi there

Can you open a bank or savings acc here lving ona tourist visa? I suspect not but someone told me you could? Its just everytime I withdraw from abbey back in the uk it costs me 2 quid!!! Total liberty! I have post that comes to my addres if that helps??

The short answer is yes you ca, well I have done it a couple of time even without a visa.

Just go into your preferred bank and ask, if they say no just go to another one and they will probably say yes.

I recently opened an account with Kasikornbank, the lady was very helpful. Within minutes I had opened an account and I could have walked out with a Debit Card straight away, but I waited for one with my name on which took a week. The very helpful lady even gave me here personal mobile number in case of problems.

You will still have to pay to send money from your UK bank to your Thai bank of course.

Legally, I believe you cannot open one on a tourist visa. I know our employees are allowed to open one before they get their work permit, but we have to write a letter (as the employer) and agree to send them the work permit once it's processed.

The person who lets us do this is the manager, who is married to one of our employees. Other banks have just said 'no.'

But, it's important to remember this is Thailand and they seem to do whatever they want to do.

Scott is correct - Bank Of Thailand regulations prevent non-residents on tourist visa's from opening any form of bank account with both local and foreign banks in Thailand.

However it appears that is still happening in as referenced by the stories above.

The very helpful lady even gave me here personal mobile number in case of problems.

Are we being just a little teensie weensie naive here, Governor?

Positively Panglossian my dear chap when you begin to take everything in the round and all.

The very helpful lady even gave me here personal mobile number in case of problems.

Are we being just a little teensie weensie naive here, Governor?

Positively Panglossian my dear chap when you begin to take everything in the round and all.

I don't think so, some people in Thailand are very helpful.

My girlfriend, who was with me in the bank, didn't see any problem, so why am I being naive?

You will still have to pay to send money from your UK bank to your Thai bank of course.

not if you open a nationwide account you dont.

I was aware that The Nationwide do not charge for cash withdrawals from an atm, I didn't realise that they didn't charge for bank transfers either.

Thanks for the advice.

from what I experienced:

Kasikorn - account w/o resident permit, web access, web cc on demand

TMB - account with resident permit

other probably same - you can open account with forreing passport and resident permit

from what I experienced:

Kasikorn - account w/o resident permit, web access, web cc on demand

TMB - account with resident permit

other probably same - you can open account with forreing passport and resident permit

I opened an account with bank Ayuthya on a tourist visa with no questions asked , but not in central bangkok , no charge to open the account , free ATM card and a credit card if i so desired after one month . Could not believe the rigmeral on Rhama4 to do the same thing , you have to pay this , you have to have a business , you need a tax card , all B######T dependant on the manager .

Hi there

Can you open a bank or savings acc here lving ona tourist visa? I suspect not but someone told me you could? Its just everytime I withdraw from abbey back in the uk it costs me 2 quid!!! Total liberty! I have post that comes to my addres if that helps??

You can - it depends on the bank...

The Bangkok Bank (http://www.bangkokbank.com/) demands a lot of information and documents - where the Bank of Ayudhya or «Krungsri» (http://www.krungsri.com) only needs the passport. I opened in Hua Hin a account in foreign currency without any problems.

You can still open an account almost everywhere. Although regulations have changed. Thai people are nice. They are happy to overlook the visa requirements often. only when you need a checking account they request work permit and a letter from the company. but even on a 30 day stamp most banks allow you to open a savings account. I have done it one a copy of my passport, though I knew them long time

Guest Bellini
Scott is correct - Bank Of Thailand regulations prevent non-residents on tourist visa's from opening any form of bank account with both local and foreign banks in Thailand...

Could you give me a link to this regulation, please?

Hi there

Hi,

yes, you can! the last example i know is just a few months ago. arrival visa! who says can not is wrong and rumors, bank staff often don't know and ask for work permit! if they tell you so go the their main branch!

by the way: same for register a car/bike on your name, even car dealers dont know, can do on your name! for the TH driver licence you really need a work permit, but what they often dont know at the traffic office, a non-immigration visa will be accepted too! nasty and expensive is for both is the required statement letter from your embassy about the location of your residence, even the embassy cant verify it anyway!

it might be possible that some smaller banks can't do an account for you, but Kasikorn (the most modern and recomended for foreigners), siam commercial, uob (for some currencies the best exchange rates), bangkok bank, etc. will be ok!

cheers

while kasikorn bank is probably the best prepared for foreigners (isnt it partially owned by a swiss bank? ubs.com?), uob got the best exchange rates for my money but only few branches, bangkok bank is in my own experience and some of my friends opinion the most difficult one! even to receive the yearly table calendar.... ;-)

therefore i got 3 accounts, had 3 others before, never problems. once a bank called me to come by, first they said i cant have an account (after many years already) because i had no work permit. after a call to the main branch they had the solution and closed my account and openend a new one, that one isnt controlled by the bank of thailand i was told and no questions regarding the incoming transfered money from abroad asked. all fine for the past years!

most banks take 500 baht commission for your transfer, probably up to certain amount, i guess 1 mio or up. if you want a receipt and statement you need to contact and request them, probably before the money arrives, otherwise an amount is shown in your bank book (high tec isn't it? or electronic access, who knows more about that?).

you can reduce the commission if you send the money instead to someones name, her/his passport number and to a certain bank branch (need no account there). I did that, i believe 300 baht commsission. of course the staff didnt know about this in the first place, but at the second visit they found the transaction!

bank of asia charged 15 dollars instead of 500 b but they are merged with uob by now. and uob's cheapest expenses were matched with boa's ones unfortuantely... as well online transaction take now longer, previousely i could online send (order) money to myself (Thai acc.) from my account abroad and it arrived within the same day, which means you can see the fluctuating exchange rate in the morning before deciding the day to transfer! the fastest was 3 hrs later it was on my atm visible!!!

i pay 150 baht expenses for my foreign bank to send the money!

be aware: thailand do not work yet with IBAN numbers, only Swift code, get it when you open your account!

siam commercial bank had a special service, at least few years ago: if you inform them that money will be tranfered from abroad, you can ask them not to exchange the money that day of arrival, but leave you a week to decide and call them and allow them to exchange it the day of your choice!

check the rates, there is a huge difference within a week if you order a larger amount foreign currency! and between the banks! it makes adifference!

there is superrich official money changer in pratunam (behind big c)(there are two same name next to each other, one is better rate) where you can get 0.30 - 0.50 baht more than the bank! if you're planing to buy a condo or something official with your money you can't change it there because you need a proof and bank receipt for that money transfer!

cheers

that credit card company in bkk where i once inquired, asked for a work permit, tax card, etc. no chance without, but i anyway got my foreign one and dont need it!

the expenses for a transfer from abroad are not shown seperately in the bank book, therefore dont think its free!

atm card cost at 'my' banks 100 to 300 baht a year. some got a visa eletron included (you can pay with it at lotus, etc.) and cant have it without, some banks offer the choice of simple atm card or incl. visa eletron for different price. some let you choose the color an design of the card...

once there was problem with my friends atm card that it didnt allow him to get cash after 10 pm, not sure which bank it was. worth asking your bank!

uob before didnt charge for any atm actions, any banks atm, except out of state actions, now they changed. outside the state where the account is located, that cost now 10/20 own/other bank atm for a cash request.

usual system: on the banks own atm's it's free, other banks atm's it cost 3 baht each time, or first 3 times/month is free, like that. bangkok bank charge always more and i believe even on their own atm's after a certain amount of times/month...

• 2 weeks later...

not if you open a nationwide account you dont.

I was aware that The Nationwide do not charge for cash withdrawals from an atm, I didn't realise that they didn't charge for bank transfers either.

Thanks for the advice.

They do charge for SWIFT transfers, I am not aware they make any transfers for free, as you say ATM withdrawals are not charged for.

Edited by Tafia

I can advise that Nationwide simply onpass the SWIFT fees - SWIFT is a global network that charges institutions for its services. The fees I have seen from Nationwide mirror my own understanding of SWIFT charges.

Cash Point WHOOOOOHHHH no fees market rate.....

Edited by pkrv