Convicted Ex-police General To Help Solve Saudi Cases

funfun

BANGKOK, April 3 (TNA) – Thailand's former deputy commissioner of the Central Investigation Bureau pledged on Thursday to help the ongoing investigative team solve the mysterious disappearance of a Saudi businessman and to find the still missing Saudi gems.

The two cases were recently reopened by the Justice Ministry in a bid to normalise Thai-Saudi relations tainted by the two unresolved cases.

"I am willing to testify as a witness if requested by the current investigating team," Pol. Lt-Gen. Chalor Kerdthet said in his first interview after serving 14 years of his life sentence in a Bangkok maximum security prison.

He made the comments after Justice Minister Sompong Amornwiwat visited him in Klong Prem prison. The minister reportedly talked to him about the disappearance of a Saudi businessman in 1990.

After the meeting, Mr. Sompong declined to discuss details about the unresolved cases now under the responsibility of Department of Special Investigation.

"The persons possessing the involved evidence might try to hide it, making the investigation even more difficult," said Mr. Sompong who vowed to try his best in solving the long cold case.

Gen. Chalor was convicted of masterminding a murder of a mother and her son. The woman's husband was a jewellery businessman involved with some gems stolen from the Saudi royal family. Even now a large quantity of precious gems is still missing.

As former chief investigator in charge of stolen jewels case who was compromised, Pol. Lt. Gen Chalor was initially given the death penalty, but the sentence was then reduced to life in prison.

He dismissed skepticism that he made the promise in an exchange for a reduced sentence.

"I want to help solve the case because I have confidence in the current government and the minister's family and I have enjoyed a very long friendship," said the former senior police officer. (TNA)-E002

:o