Qualifications In Thailand

withnail

I have been teaching here for a year now, I have a TEFL and a bachellors degree (non educational) am legal and enjoying my job. However I was wondering what would be the best qualification I could get here in Thailand that could improve my standing as a teacher if I am serious about it as a career.

I was thinking about doing a qualification specific to teaching children (the British Council has been recommended) just to improve myself however I was wondering if there was anything I could do that could in the future lead me to obtaining better work?

The DELTA might help a bit. If not really only a degree of some kind (maybe a science degree or a specific teaching degree) is going to help.

Short courses (BC or not) ain't going to make you worth much more, if at all IMO!

So maybe a PGCE, MA TESOL, BEd or something like that!

I wasn't really expecting that doing a short course would make me worth any more, just interested in it for my own benefit really.

I should have said in my original question however, what would be the procedure for obtaining extra qualifications here in the LOS?

I have been teaching here for a year now, I have a TEFL and a bachellors degree (non educational) am legal and enjoying my job. However I was wondering what would be the best qualification I could get here in Thailand that could improve my standing as a teacher if I am serious about it as a career.

I was thinking about doing a qualification specific to teaching children (the British Council has been recommended) just to improve myself however I was wondering if there was anything I could do that could in the future lead me to obtaining better work?

Are you planning on staying in Thailand?

The British Council is highly respected in Thailand, as are their teachers, though I know of a couple of flakes who've slipped through their screening process, though these were more like outside short-term contract teachers for the kid's school connected to Chula (Their Demonstration School, actually)

They also have historically higher than average pay scales. Very elitist and lots of office politics (surprise!) is what I've heard. Still, I think, a good immediate goal for most teachers looking for a step up in perceived respectability and better teaching opportunities.

Getting a DELTA is great for the sake of learning and improving your skills, but not of any practical use in getting a better job locally, except something like as a CELTA Trainer, Course Inspector, or somewhere else in the Cambridge organization. Thailand is still coordinted by Clarence Shettlesworth and his wife, I believe. There is also work available as Oral Proctors (vs oral proctologists) for the various Cambridge Certs, like KET and PET.

A Master's Degree in anything opens many more doors, both real and surreal.. :wub:

As I'm sure you've figured out, The Facade rules in Thailand. If you have the right shoes, watch, car, degree, friends, etc., Thailand seems to become a happier place to live for some reason :o Everybody plays it, and it seems almost natural after awhile to play into it yourself...

For me, I've got some downsides, like being ugly as sin, but my degrees, my experience, and my Thai Schmoozing Skills have worked miracles for me. For example, I've never, ever been turned down for a job after an interview... And never a shit job, either. You can play The System to your advantage, but still maintain your integrity and honour, I firmly believe. Once you've established yourself as being 'part of the group', your personal integrity becomes less threatening to them, and often even gains you more respect. ....TiT :D

Anyway, I digress...

A Master's, even an MBA, is a requirement for most university contract positions (hourly teachers normally just need a BA/BS and only teach undergrads, since a Master's or above is needed for grad students). Now, among these grad students are many working teachers, businessmen, housewives, police, etc.. In my own experience, and in the experience of the other Ajarns I've known who were teaching at that level, there was never a lack of highly-paid extra work available, and other payoffs.

For a number of my friends, they have settled quite nicely into the university academic lifestyle, with families and socializing mostly with other Academics. I also found it seductive in a way, but I chafe at Rigid Structure after awhile, and I like doing things MyWay, to be sure -_-

I should also point out that there are many non-teaching gigs that can come your way, either by your own creation, or by being in the right place at the right time. The MoE has hired many, including myself, to assist on specific MoE projects like, in my case, teacher training and curriculum development projects.

One brainstorm that paid off for me in Chiang Mai was Chiang Mai Testing Services...I gave (unofficial) TOEFL and TOEIC tests to classes of students in various schools and language centers for 200 baht per head. One test at the beginning of each course, one test at the end to measure their improvement...or decline! :D

Anyway, at an average of 20 students @ 200 baht a head, you can see the potential here. I had much more work than I could handle... I'm sure their must be a way to do it legally, too :D:D

I read recently that the British Council in Bangkok do a distance DELTA orientation course every March. I don't know how good it is though! What does "orientation" mean?

I'd suggest It means it's not a free sales pitch :o

Thanks for the response.

So lets say I am interested in obtaining a Master's degree whilst I am in Thailand (yes I am planning to stay here, I've been here nearly 4 years now) What do you think the best plan of action would be. What would be the best subject to choose, where or how should I study and how long will the course be? Would it be reasonable to expect to be able to work and study at the same time?

Oh and how much?

Thanks for the response.

So lets say I am interested in obtaining a Master's degree whilst I am in Thailand (yes I am planning to stay here, I've been here nearly 4 years now) What do you think the best plan of action would be. What would be the best subject to choose, where or how should I study and how long will the course be? Would it be reasonable to expect to be able to work and study at the same time?

Oh and how much?

Think I've shot my wad already, withnail. Anything in response to your specific questions would only be a dated guess. Maybe someone with some more recent experience or knowledge will step in here to help....There have been some recent discussions recently on this topic, so you miht try a search. Technically, I'm a dinosaur now :o

I also remember that Webster University has some Master's courses in English, including an MBA, if I remember correctly. They do have a website.

Happy Hunting :D

As I'm sure you've figured out, The Facade rules in Thailand. If you have the right shoes, watch, car, degree, friends, etc.,

What is considered to be the "right" watch these days?

I'm only half joking, unfortunately.

Thanks for the great summary.

I also would like to do a MA in Thailand. do you know where to find a list of universities that teach in English?

Thanks

Do a search in here as I've already posted a fairly good list of Unis that offer programs in English!

If not let me know and I'll re-post it!

I also would like to do a MA in Thailand. do you know where to find a list of universities that teach in English?

Thanks

Do a search in here as I've already posted a fairly good list of Unis that offer programs in English!

If not let me know and I'll re-post it!

Ken, I don't mean to be an ass, but could you post it again? I looked for it and couldn't find it.

Thank you, Mbkudu.

As I'm sure you've figured out, The Facade rules in Thailand. If you have the right shoes, watch, car, degree, friends, etc.,

Maybe I should have said 'any watch'? :o

Maybe I should have said 'any watch'? :o

It's those impossibly high Thai standards again!

A Master's Degree in anything opens many more doors, both real and surreal..  :D

As I'm sure you've figured out, The Facade rules in Thailand. If you have the right shoes, watch, car, degree, friends, etc., Thailand seems to become a happier place to live for some reason :D  Everybody plays it, and it seems almost natural after awhile to play into it yourself...

For me, I've got some downsides, like being ugly as sin, but my degrees, my experience, and my Thai Schmoozing Skills have worked miracles for me. For example, I've never, ever been turned down for a job after an interview... And never a shit job, either. You can play The System to your advantage, but still maintain your integrity and honour, I firmly believe.  Once you've established yourself as being 'part of the group', your personal integrity becomes less threatening to them, and often even gains you more respect. ....TiT  :D

Anyway, I digress...

A Master's, even an MBA, is a requirement for most university contract positions (hourly teachers normally just need a BA/BS and only teach undergrads, since a Master's or above is needed for grad students). Now, among these grad students are many working teachers, businessmen, housewives, police, etc.. In my own experience, and in the experience of the other Ajarns I've known who were teaching at that level, there was never a lack of highly-paid extra work available, and other payoffs.

I've Got three years of Engineering Grad School(around 50 semester hours completed) - working as a research assistanct(half time) - passing my PhD quals but then dropped out - never got my Masters though it would have been easy if I'd had the heart for it so no thesis was required (since I Passed my Phd oral quals).

Think that might eke me by?

:o

I bought a sick gold Rolex on Sukhumit a few years ago. It impresses the ladies and gents. Stopped keeping time awhile back, but it's not for function, stricktly fashion. I feel oh-so-hi-so when I wear it, yezz. :D

Please excuse my relative ignorance, but I'm guessing that 'sick' is good? :o

A Master's Degree in anything opens many more doors, both real and surreal..  :D

As I'm sure you've figured out, The Facade rules in Thailand. If you have the right shoes, watch, car, degree, friends, etc., Thailand seems to become a happier place to live for some reason :D  Everybody plays it, and it seems almost natural after awhile to play into it yourself...

For me, I've got some downsides, like being ugly as sin, but my degrees, my experience, and my Thai Schmoozing Skills have worked miracles for me. For example, I've never, ever been turned down for a job after an interview... And never a shit job, either. You can play The System to your advantage, but still maintain your integrity and honour, I firmly believe.  Once you've established yourself as being 'part of the group', your personal integrity becomes less threatening to them, and often even gains you more respect. ....TiT  :D

Anyway, I digress...

I've Got three years of Engineering Grad School(around 50 semester hours completed) - working as a research assistanct(half time) - passing my PhD quals but then dropped out - never got my Masters though it would have been easy if I'd had the heart for it so no thesis was required (since I Passed my Phd oral quals).

Think that might eke me by?

:o

You didn't mention any degrees awarded, so my guess is no...But please don't rely on my guess. Stop by a local university and ask, or email them with your question, would be my suggestion.

Yes, these crazy youngsters use words that mean the opposite of what you think they should mean. Me I'm wicked (< but that's good, not like a wicked witch which is bad!).

Man, the world is upside down, it seems...

So, if I say 'you're a sick, wicked, prick!', is that good, or bad? :o

Nothing personal, of course. :D

Yo dog, sick means excellent, cool, you dig Daddy'o? 'Prick' is definitely negative and uncool. :D

Man, this language is nuts... :D

What about when they say "word!"? What is that supposed to mean, and how do you use it?

Shit, you'd never know I was an English teacher for 25 years :o

From Oxford..

– PHRASES kick against the pricks hurt oneself by persisting in useless resistance or protest. [with biblical allusion to Acts 9:5.]

Is there a Bible in the house? :D

Edited by Ajarn

Well I suppose you'd use 'word' as like an exclamation to something you've said, or kind of 'for sure'!

It's most American (I'd say, although Cameo did do 'word up'!).

Loads of slang websites here:

http://www.spraakservice.net/slangportal/american.htm

Had a little hunt around for 'word' but no joy!

Quite interesting though and worth a look macdaddy Ajarn!

It's hard to keep up with it because it comes in and out of style so frequently.

I have noticed that when my mom was in her 20s during the beatnick craze,

'cat' was used for a man. "He's a real cool cat." Now 'dog' is commonly heard amongst the youth, "Yo, wuz up Dog!", meaning, "Hello, my friend, what are you up to?" Fun stuff language is; always twisting and changing. I've even noticed that Thai is becoming more slangy, especially in Bangkok. have you ever heard a young teenage girl say, "Werrrrr," or something like that. I think it means something like, 'Duhh, that's stupid.' :o

It's hard to keep up with it because it comes in and out of style so frequently.

I have noticed that when my mom was in her 20s during the beatnick craze,

'cat' was used for a man. "He's a real cool cat." Now 'dog' is commonly heard amongst the youth, "Yo, wuz up Dog!", meaning, "Hello, my friend, what are you up to?" Fun stuff language is; always twisting and changing. I've even noticed that Thai is becoming more slangy, especially in Bangkok. have you ever heard a young teenage girl say, "Werrrrr," or something like that. I think it means something like, 'Duhh, that's stupid.' :D

I vaguely remember 'cool cat', but it was soon replaced in my psyche by 'groovy', then 'farout', followed by 'cool' again.... :o

As for 'wuz up dog', I wouldn't try that in Thailand! :D

Reminds me of the two sons of an old Thai friend of mine named 'muu' and 'gai' (pig and chicken). When they were getting ready to go to Elementary and High school in the States, I strongly suggested they change their nicknames in America, or study up on Muay Thai before leaving... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I have missed something here but I would have thought a CELTA was more appropriate than a DELTA which you can't do without the CELTA or several years teaching experience. You should check that out at ECC in Bangkok. I have a post grad cert in TESOL and found the CELTA invaluable and hard work! The Post grad cert at USQ in Australia is by distance. It's a great course and can be upgraded to a Masters in TESOL afterwards. You only have to do 4 more units. Hard work and theoretical but a nice complement to a CELTA.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting to note differing views on training courses.

I'd like to take an e-course, but I'd surely need to follow it with a few weeks training placement. Any comments or experience? There are Global English who advertise on this page, and Eurolink, that I know about. Mainly I need to know what the acceptability is of such qualifications in Thailand in particular? I took an intro course a few years back, and I also have a PGCE, but only limited teaching experience. I have extensive experience of distance learning as a former Open University student.

There is an imminent language exhibition in London (www.thelanguageshow.co.uk), but the latest info I have is that neither organisation will be represented. It's mainly about interest in learning non-English Languages, but I'll go and see.

I'll be in BKK for about a week later this month.