Advice On Buying A Toyoto Vigo

ELLHNAS

I need the help of the experts. I am on the final stages of buying the Toyota Vigo and I am trying to gather all the facts.

There are two models I am looking at...both 4-door and 2WD manual:

1) 3.0E Prerunner D4D for 749000B

2) 2.5G D4D for 679000

The options in those two cars are pretty similar (ABS, leather seats etc). The main differences as far as I understand are that the Prerunner is higher (has the body of a 4WD) and has more power (3.0). I have a hard time making a choice. Do I really need the extra power? Besides, I believe that a 3.0 engine will be more hungry for fuel and will cost me more money in the long run. I realize that the high chassis of the Prerunner is also an attraction and offers a nice view. Is it not however more dangerous when steering in sharp turns? In other words I would think that a lower car will "stick" better on the road. Is the extra clearance really worth it?

Also many people in the past have advised that it is imperative to ask the dealer to provide underseal which is the black paint job under the car. When I inquired Toyota about this, they said that it is not necessary and that the car has already protection (not the black paint though). They also said that if I really want the underseal, they would do it but they will refuse to take any responsibility if there is a problem in the future. I thought that this was strange. Does this make any sense or they just don't want to do the job?

Please guys help me I have limited knowledge about cars. Thank you.

Edited by ELLHNAS

I need the help of the experts. I am on the final stages of buying the Toyota Vigo and I am trying to gather all the facts.

There are two models I am looking at...both 4-door and 2WD manual:

1) 3.0E Prerunner D4D for 749000B

2) 2.5G D4D for 679000

The options in those two cars are pretty similar (ABS, leather seats etc). The main differences as far as I understand are that the Prerunner is higher (has the body of a 4WD) and has more power (3.0). I have a hard time making a choice. Do I really need the extra power? Besides, I believe that a 3.0 engine will be more hungry for fuel and will cost me more money in the long run. I realize that the high chassis of the Prerunner is also an attraction and offers a nice view. Is it not however more dangerous when steering in sharp turns? In other words I would think that a lower car will "stick" better on the road. Is the extra clearance really worth it?

Also many people in the past have advised that it is imperative to ask the dealer to provide underseal which is the black paint job under the car. When I inquired Toyota about this, they said that it is not necessary and that the car has already protection (not the black paint though). They also said that if I really want the underseal, they would do it but they will refuse to take any responsibility if there is a problem in the future. I thought that this was strange. Does this make any sense or they just don't want to do the job?

Please guys help me I have limited knowledge about cars. Thank you.

Hi ELLHNAS

Yes, you are right about the stability problems. Check back and read the recent road reports about ALL the 4x4 style trucks. Vigo came out the worst and all the others had their problems in varying degrees. I would also check the fuel economy stats (not from Dealers) as sometimes a larger/different engine can be more efficient/higher technology.

Although I ended up changing makes due to the facts mentioned above, I did get my truck undersealed before It was handed over to me and along with All the freebies and I suggest you do the same

Happy Motoring

Dave

My vigo is used as a working truck - 2WD 2 door extra cab style 3.0 G spec manual.

I got about 40,000B worth of 'freebies'

I'd rather have a stable truck than one that has the looks of a 4x4 but not the performance