Numbers Of Farang In Los

TRIPxCORE

You should be lucky to be accepted in Thailand, every other foreign people either tried to take it over and make it their own. I live in the states and I am half thai and half farang sometimes i think only one side accepts me and sorry to say it is not the place i reside in :o

• 2 weeks later...
Are any of you surprised, shocked, saddened, or happy when you really think about the immense population of non-thai people inhabiting LOS?

Statistics on foreigners were not very well correlated prior to the establishment of the Tourism Organization of Thailand, but apart from brief periods during Mongol and Japanese invasions, it is doubtful that there were more than around 80,000 foreigners in Thailand at any one time prior to 1960.

In 1960 I was one of those 80,000.

In 2003 I was one of 10,000.000.

I suffer from culture shock!

"80,000..... at any one time" prior to 1960 -- interesting statistic. Then you go nuts.

With the figure of 10,000,000, you're obviously referring to the number of tourists the government reported for 2003. But they were not all here at the same time, dope!

If you look at the average visitor stay period (say, 7 days) and make a guess at the number of foreign residents here all the time (say 100,000), you can estimate that there are only about 300,000 foreigners here at any one time. That's plenty enough, of course.

You should be lucky to be accepted in Thailand, every other foreign people either tried to take it over and make it their own. I live in the states and I am half thai and half farang sometimes i think only one side accepts me and sorry to say it is not the place i reside in :o

What a load of <deleted>. Why does everyone take such pride in being such a whiney victim these days? My kids are half Thai and live in the States and nobody they meet cares sweet FA what nationality their mother is. Get a life.

It doesn't matter since we live in a globalised world where people from the so-called 1st world can freely travel & live in the less developed world (but not vice-versa) :o . As a Thai studying in the UK, I also was gobsmacked with the number of foreigners messing about, particularly in London, where foreigners are nearly a majority in such areas as Brixton and Croydon. :D

Bangkok is fast becoming a society of multi-culturalism which could be a double-edge sword if we don't stop the influx of those farang nuisances. Civilised foreigners (or maybe moneybags) are always welcome here :D