Sharing A Webcam On A Lan

Crushdepth

Does anyone know if its possible to share a webcam on a LAN so that other users can view whatever is in front of it ? I just can't find a way to add it to network places or make it otherwise accessible to others on the network.

Any ideas ? Thanks.

(BTW: Its a Logitech Quickcam Messenger)

Yes, but its not native within Windows as far as I know. You have to get a software package to access the webcam and serve its data on a web server.

I did this on one computer a long time ago, worked fine. If I can find that software's name and web site, I'll post it. In the meantime try searching on "webcam software".

Beside your particular point, there are standalone webcams now with the webserver built in - no computer required. We use one for security at work to buzz people in after hours.

kenk3z

Ok thanks. The logitech doesn't come with an internal webserver (as far as I know) so maybe I could feed it into a locally installed webserver. But I think I read something about Logitech cameras only working with some horrible proprietary service provider. Hmmm....

you're talking about the first internet webcam that was invented. The idea of a webcam came to mind when some students and scientists in Cambridge university always found the coffeepot empty.

So they put a cam on it so everybody could see if their still was coffee :o

see article below

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/03/07/wo...cam_coffee_pot/

hi'

try webcam2000, nice piece of software :o

allows you to setup your webcam as a server, so just setup the network to the address

to the webcam and this is it :D

sorry, don't know how to setup the IP for netwok, but it should be as easy as to setup a file-sharing ...

cheers

francois

Thanks Francois, that worked quite nicely. I just looked up the local IP of the host computer through the router admin and it works just great (except its only stills no video). Stu I found the trial version of webspycam but haven't set it up yet...but it was a google search that lead to some very interesting places !

Man Logitech ship their webcams with some crapware. Half the functions on this thing require you to sign up to subscription services of one sort or another !