Tips On Route Planning North Thailand

thaibutty

Hi everybody my parents(around 50) and my brother are coming over to Thailand in May. First they'll spend a few days in Phuket and then I'd like to take them to the North for about 10 days. There we'll probably hire a car and explore ourselves. I was thinking about Chiang Rai, Golden Triangle, Chiang Mai(Doi Inthanon, Doi Suthep) and maybe to Mae Hong Son. Anybody having any recommendations on where to go and which would be the best routes. I've been to Chiang MAi one time and once to the Golden Triangle will be first time for my parents and GF. So we're open to everything

Thanks a lot

Hmmm. Well I'd do it this way:

Fly into Chiang Mai:2 days

Drive to Pai 1 day

Drive to Mae Hong Song: 1 Day

Drive south around to Doi Inthanon: 1 Day

Back to Chaing Mai from Doi Inthanon: 1 Day

Chiang Rai & Golden Triangle: 1 Day

Drive back down to Chiang Mai through Mae Salong, Fang, Chiang Dao: 1 Day

You've just seen "The North" in 8 days, but most of it is driving! Spend your other two days in any of the places that you visit. Or cut down on the number of places to see if you want a more relaxing pace, the north itself is quite big.

Just my 2 satang...

Whatever you decide to do, don't miss Mae Hong Song.

Full day elephant trekking marvelous.

I'll do that thanks for the tip. Any particular operator you would recommend?

"Be Aware!"

The road from Chang Rai or Chang Mai to Mae Hong Song is almost continuous bends many of which are 180 deg. hairpins. I think there are something like 1800 + bends from C M to M H S. So if you fancy driving approx. 200 miles either way, go for it but make sure your trip is in daylight and dry conditions. Having said that, Mae Hong Song is well worth the journey. Lovely little town with good trips out to see the Long Necks village etc.