Opening A Bank Account In Thailand

pab

Apologies if this topic is well known by others but I work in Bangkok 2 or 3 weeks every month but am a resident of Australia. Can I open a Bank account in Thailand? If so what do I have to do? I do not have a work permit and come into Thailand on an OPEC business card each month.

In addition, I am planning to marry a Thai lady towards the middle of next year and hopefully open a joint account as well. I want to move more permanently to Thailand at that time. After 1 or 2 years I plan to retire and continue to live in Thailand if at all possible.

Hopefully my questions are not too simple for people who have a lot more experience about living in Thailand than myself - thanks for any guidance you can provide re opening a bank account.

You can open an account, no problem. Bring your passport. You may only have a savings account, but you can get it with an ATM/debit card...so there's no practical difference from a checking account.

I opened an account at Bank of Asia in Chiang Mai and had to deposit 50,000bt, which they said was a new federal rule. I opened one just last month at Siam Commercial Bank in Korat and their minimum opening deposit was 500bt. Both offer ATM/debit cards (about 300bt extra) with a Visa/Mastercard logo (so can be used out of Thailand) and online banking.

I prefer the Siam Commercial Bank, if only because they issue the permanent debit card on the spot, where Bank of Asia takes 2 weeks. They also can provide the online banking username and password on the spot instead of it taking 10 days or so.

There are numerous other banks, too, and maybe someone with experience at one of them will post here about it.

• Thanks 1

Bangkok Bank will open you an account.

Also they will offer you an

ATM card cost 200bht

Visa Debit Card cost 200bht

There are more banks that will open an account for you, some may not, so if you are turned down, go some where else.

When you open an account, open it only in your name, i have heard horror stories of western men opening accounts with thai women, just for the lady to come back and clear the account and dissapear later.

I would recommend the Siam Commercial.

And go to a branch in a farang-oriented area, as you will be more likely to succeed there. Out-of-town many banks do not welcome foreigners - don't know why.

It may only be a small thing, but remember also that if you draw cash from an ATM outside your official home branch area, you will pay a 10 baht charge. Also if you use your ATM card in another bank's machines, you will pay a 10 baht charge.

And DO NOT open a joint account. If you wish, set up an arrangement whereby you put a small amount regularly into your g/f account. Give her money, give her gold, give her a house, but never, NEVER give her access to your bank account. She has many pressures on her from family, from 'friends', to show how rich you are. 'My b/f has bought me a car' - 'my b/f has bought me a house' - 'My b/f has bought me a car and a house' - 'My b/f has bought all of the above, plus a house in Korat for my family' - 'Ditto, plus a tractor, ten rai of land, two buffalo' and so on. And without really thinking about it, she's emptied the account to keep up with her friends.

Many Thai girls really think that money grows on trees out there in farang-land.

• Thanks 1

Also if you use your ATM card in another bank's machines, you will pay a 10 baht charge.

Not completely true. You can use another member of the ATM Pool three times each month with no fee charged. Although do not believe most of use who are accustomed to western atm fees would consider 10 baht all that much in any case.

When opening a bank account

make sure you only open the account in the area you wish to use it.

This is the reason behind this, if you open an account in Bkk and goto pattaya and lose your ATM card, you will need togo back to Bkk to get a new ATM card.

Hello, this is my first post probrably not worthy of a new thread because my ignorance keeps me for establishing one. The wife and I are coming to Thailand, Oct. 2007 for three months or so. We are retiring for a few years. I have been reading about Thailand and other extended stay destinations extensively, almost maniacal.

I visited Thailand over 30 years ago briefly and even in my youth realized it and its people were a special Asian treasure.

This trip and after reading many of the threads on this board my life style may be viewed as hedonistic, will be much more comfortable. The lovely homes available for rent at 1000. us a month are absolutely stunning, so much bang for the relative puny buck. We my wife the farang and me the farang plan to loop SE Asia and enjoy Northern Thailand as our base. Im so excited, if I were 30 years younger geeked.

I join to engage others knowledgeable about Thailand on advise and recommendations. The Bhat has gyrated in the last decade. It presently looks like a good time to open a Thai account, (the dollar is under and heading for great duress). I read some joking I think about kidnapping, deguising ones Americanism.

My corn and whitebread look cannot be diguised. Im large and healthy very much noticeable in a room here and in Asia societies I stick out. No big deal for me. I neither fear or loathe my fellow man. I belong in the LOS.

If the Administration should read this post and renew it as a new thread/topic I would greatly appreciate it. My hope would be for more input. Thank You for the opportunity. :o

• Confused 1