Adultery Main Cause Of Family Break-ups In Thai Society

george

Poll: Adultery main cause of family break-ups in Thai society; politicos poor role models

BANGKOK: -- Adultery is the major cause for family break-ups and divorce in Thai society, according to a new survey conducted by Assumption University's ABAC Poll.

Noppadol Kannikar, director of the respected poll, said the survey, conducted among 3,088 people in 18 provinces nationwide between March 25 and April 12, found that over three out of four families -- almost 77 per cent -- and 69 per cent divorced persons agreed that adultery was the number one cause which led to broken families.

Physical attacks, drug addiction, gambling, a lack of responsible attitudes toward the family, and alcoholism are other factors which also bring about family breakups, according to the poll.

Six out of 10 -- or about 60 per cent of the respondents -- said that joining in activities among family members during leisure time, meeting relatives and displaying love to one another would strengthen the family.

The poll was announced on the eve of Thailand's 'Family Day' which takes place on Monday.

Near two-thirds -- about 64 per cent of respondents said that Thai society was no longer generally supportive because today's political leaders are fighting with one another, causing divisiveness in society.

--TNA 2008-04-13

Poll: Adultery main cause of family break-ups in Thai society; politicos poor role models

BANGKOK: -- Adultery is the major cause for family break-ups and divorce in Thai society, according to a new survey conducted by Assumption University's ABAC Poll.

Noppadol Kannikar, director of the respected poll, said the survey, conducted among 3,088 people in 18 provinces nationwide between March 25 and April 12, found that over three out of four families -- almost 77 per cent -- and 69 per cent divorced persons agreed that adultery was the number one cause which led to broken families.

Physical attacks, drug addiction, gambling, a lack of responsible attitudes toward the family, and alcoholism are other factors which also bring about family breakups, according to the poll.

Six out of 10 -- or about 60 per cent of the respondents -- said that joining in activities among family members during leisure time, meeting relatives and displaying love to one another would strengthen the family.

The poll was announced on the eve of Thailand's 'Family Day' which takes place on Monday.

Near two-thirds -- about 64 per cent of respondents said that Thai society was no longer generally supportive because today's political leaders are fighting with one another, causing divisiveness in society.

--TNA 2008-04-13

If Thai Society was in any way supportive the bars wouldn't keep filling up with young girls.

I did work that out a while ago and so have a few others.

Only thing I would disagree with there is the use of the words 'no longer' I would use the words 'ever been'

Just my opinion of course.

On the adultery issue, since they make a big deal of that, it would be interesting to know the rate of male/female infidelity, no? (Yes I know Mia Nois - but I wonder - and would like to see - some real empirical evidence). Maybe the poll asked this?

If Thai Society was in any way supportive the bars wouldn't keep filling up with young girls.

I guess the millions slaving away in the factories to support their families just can't find a good bar to work in.

:o

I guess the millions slaving away in the factories to support their families just can't find a good bar to work in.

And they write it as though some amazing socio-habitual discovery has been made. Why on earth do they pay to investigate the absolutely obvious.

Since a woman in Thailand has very few rights to divorce, of course, infidelity is the biggest issue. how many women never report being beaten is a much bigger issue.

Yes, that's right Heng. They have decided they will work for peanuts in your controlled little society called - wait for it - "THAI"-Land" because they can't find a sino-looking Thai guy to marry (due to guanxi rules dictating necessity for linking to another 'connected' sino-thai family for more in-breading), and some don't want to f+ck every asian/farang guy in a Karaoke Bar or Bar-Beer for 500-1,000 baht cause they have few other options.

Is that what you wanted to hear? I was surprised to see a backlash building to the sino-thai control of this country..I hear it in the discussions of my Thai family and their friends. At first it was a very quiet discussion - less so now. The irony is that thy support Thaksin who is of course Sino-Thai if not sino-'eng'. This whole thing could get interesting!! I'm sitting back and watching..plane tickets in hand.

--TNA 2008-04-13

Oh my gosh....cheating on your wife or husband causes divorce? How much money did the survey cost and how many intellectual brainiacts did how many years of university to figure that one out...

I also cant belive that Physical attacks, drug addiction, gambling, a lack of responsible attitudes toward the family, and alcoholism are other factors which also bring about family breakups, according to the poll.....good lord, what a break-through !!!!

Now we all know the secret to a successful marriage !!!!

Idiots....

Now that is big news, really?

So much newfound wisdom, it makes me dizzy.

Quality time is needed anywhere in society, not only in the family

--TNA 2008-04-13

Now

On the adultery front, when will humankind rediscover the fact that the species is not monogamous

On the attack and alcohol front, well, the veneer of civilisation is very thin and scratched away easily.

I have no idea if the reasons above are found more in the Thai society, I doubt it, but anything is possible.

I do not believe prostitution & bargirls & etc have anything to do with adultery by the working girls & boys, or not much generally, however, the consumers of the services offered above might be more adulterous.

No. They just haven't decided or have been pushed into one yet by their Family or Thai Boyfriend.

and thats why i take my hat off to and support these girls whenever i can,

at least they have their dignity and honour intact, not like their countryside cousins,

thats where the farang deadbeats, losers and driftwood go wrong, looking in the wrong

area, get yourself down to phra phadaeng and meet some of the mon girls, salt of

the earth.

their upcountry cousins are being ripped off by the money lenders (just check out what

goes on outside a normal thai school), but it doesnt matter, some gullabile farang will

be along on his white horse to and i quote, rescue the girl.

dont worry, some farang who claims to live here and not to lie , (although he actually only comes here on holiday) will be along in a minute to blame the farang for all the ills that exist in thai society, even though the ills of society existed long before the farangs ever showed up.

why am i reminded of the emperors new clothes, or the wizard of oz?

Yeah, and it's too bad that casual and marital prostitution still represents the best chances of social mobility for the vast majority of them.

Yes, that's right Heng. They have decided they will work for peanuts in your controlled little society called - wait for it - "THAI"-Land" because they can't find a sino-looking Thai guy to marry (due to guanxi rules dictating necessity for linking to another 'connected' sino-thai family for more in-breading), and some don't want to f+ck every asian/farang guy in a Karaoke Bar or Bar-Beer for 500-1,000 baht cause they have few other options.

Is that what you wanted to hear? I was surprised to see a backlash building to the sino-thai control of this country..I hear it in the discussions of my Thai family and their friends. At first it was a very quiet discussion - less so now. The irony is that thy support Thaksin who is of course Sino-Thai if not sino-'eng'. This whole thing could get interesting!! I'm sitting back and watching..plane tickets in hand.

Huh? Not sure what you're talking about, Kat, but I do like it when you harrass me on multiple threads. There are plenty of indigenous Thais who have married guys and gals with mostly Chinese bloodlines. And there are plenty of Sino-Thais who are piss poor with no work ethic. Yes, there are families who insist on "inbreeding," but I know in my family, the goyim are welcomed with open arms, Thai-Thai, Lao, Khmer, Hmong, and Latinas included. And again, most choose not to work in the tourist bars OR local karaoke/lounge/etc. bars because it's not something they would stoop to do... no less so than you would.

Sino-Thai political alignment is hardly one way or the other. Some support one party, some support another. But all parties have Sino-Thai members and backers.

:D

Yeah, and it's too bad that casual and marital prostitution still represents the best chances of social mobility for the vast majority of them.

True, but it takes two to cha cha.

and thats why i take my hat off to and support these girls whenever i can,

at least they have their dignity and honour intact, not like their countryside cousins,

thats where the farang deadbeats, losers and driftwood go wrong, looking in the wrong

area, get yourself down to phra phadaeng and meet some of the mon girls, salt of

the earth.

their upcountry cousins are being ripped off by the money lenders (just check out what

goes on outside a normal thai school), but it doesnt matter, some gullabile farang will

be along on his white horse to and i quote, rescue the girl.

dont worry, some farang who claims to live here and not to lie , (although he actually only comes here on holiday) will be along in a minute to blame the farang for all the ills that exist in thai society, even though the ills of society existed long before the farangs ever showed up.

why am i reminded of the emperors new clothes, or the wizard of oz?

There aren't enough falang visitors to "save" (in other words, 'help to tread water for a few years before drowning in tandem') those who rip themselves off by spending more than they can afford and then making the silly decision to finance it at an exorbitant interest rate.

No. They just haven't decided or have been pushed into one yet by their Family or Thai Boyfriend.

or their complete lack of self esteem/self respect.

Huh? Not sure what you're talking about, Kat, but I do like it when you harrass me on multiple threads. There are plenty of indigenous Thais who have married guys and gals with mostly Chinese bloodlines. And there are plenty of Sino-Thais who are piss poor with no work ethic. Yes, there are families who insist on "inbreeding," but I know in my family, the goyim are welcomed with open arms, Thai-Thai, Lao, Khmer, Hmong, and Latinas included. And again, most choose not to work in the tourist bars OR local karaoke/lounge/etc. bars because it's not something they would stoop to do... no less so than you would.

Sino-Thai political alignment is hardly one way or the other. Some support one party, some support another. But all parties have Sino-Thai members and backers.

Please read the comment boxes more carefully. I didn't make the comment to which you are responding here. And if you comment on multiple threads, multiple responses do not equal harassment.

added: :D

Edited by kat

And again, most choose not to work in the tourist bars OR local karaoke/lounge/etc. bars because it's not something they would stoop to do...

Heng, I have a question for you: How do you reconcile your apparent disdain or low regard for these women while regularly using the services of paid sex?

*added: sincere question. :D

Edited by kat

Huh? Not sure what you're talking about, Gene. There are plenty of indigenous Thais who have married guys and gals with mostly Chinese bloodlines. And there are plenty of Sino-Thais who are piss poor with no work ethic. Yes, there are families who insist on "inbreeding," but I know in my family, the goyim are welcomed with open arms, Thai-Thai, Lao, Khmer, Hmong, etc. And again, most choose not to work in the tourist bars OR local karaoke/lounge/etc. bars because it's not something they would stoop to do... no less so than you would.

Kat wrote:

Please read the comment boxes more carefully. I didn't make the comment to which you are responding here. And if you comment on multiple threads, multiple responses do not equal harassment.

added: :D

My bad, Kat. Change "Kat" to "Gene."

And I'm not REALLY feeling harrassed.

And again, most choose not to work in the tourist bars OR local karaoke/lounge/etc. bars because it's not something they would stoop to do...

Heng, I have a question for you: How do you reconcile your apparent disdain or low regard for these women while regularly using the services of paid sex?

*added: sincere question. :D

That's not disdain or low regard, Kat. That's an accurate description of the average woman who chooses this line of work.

There's nothing to reconcile as I treat them with no less respect than I would any non-sex worker. The difference perhaps would be that there isn't much room to give them "more" respect as there is no relationship growth potential (into friendship, coworker status, or otherwise).

Edited by Heng

That's not disdain or low regard, Kat. That's an accurate description of the average woman who chooses this line of work.

There's nothing to reconcile as I treat them with no less respect than I would any non-sex worker. The difference perhaps would be that there isn't much room to give them "more" respect as there is no relationship growth potential (into friendship, coworker status, or otherwise).

Well, maybe they should be accorded more respect if - according to one of the implied messages of this article - they are saving the endangered marriage in Thailand. :o

Well, maybe they should be accorded more respect if - according to one of the implied messages of this article - they are saving the endangered marriage in Thailand. :o

I wouldn't go that far... in the same way I wouldn't boast that I am somehow supporting or saving the lives of the poor by patronizing their services.

--TNA 2008-04-13

WHAT !? Adultery in Thailand. I don't believe it. :o

Edited by john b good

So Thailand finally got it's Nobel laureate.......

For asking 3000 people over a months period, I would say that this survey doesn't even deserve to be wrapped around tomorrows fish and chips.

If he got hold of the umphur office records nationally for the last year it still wouldn't constitite a survey.

Adultery is actually saving marriage ... in many more ways than none

You need much more than adultery to break up a society, any society

I can't believe all these 'farangs' blaming the bar scene and else on a daily basis ... stop making me laugh (actually not laugh) ... people here are trying to have a life and be glad that you don't have to go the same way to have yours.

So Thailand finally got it's Nobel laureate.......

For asking 3000 people over a months period, I would say that this survey doesn't even deserve to be wrapped around tomorrows fish and chips.

If he got hold of the umphur office records nationally for the last year it still wouldn't constitite a survey.

My friend, the name of the university is Assumption. I don´t know if I leaned the word correctly but..."An assumption is a proposition that is taken for granted, that is, as if it were known to be true". :o And we all know whats said about assumptions: the mother of all <deleted> ups...

Edited by Nysan

On the adultery front, when will humankind rediscover the fact that the species is not monogamous

DISAGREE: It's one thing to say that genetically instinctively humans aren't meant to be monogamous, and another to accept the consequences of it, going merrily on your way singing "not my fault la la la". Humans have evolved culturally well past what can be said for our biology alone (we are have only a 2% genetic variation from our closest relatives the bonobo chimpanzees), and it now takes 20 years of intensive parenting to raise a human child to the point of being an emotionally successful member of society. It's well known that children have a much better chance for successfully raising their own children if they come from a healthy unbroken family. To say humans "can't" or "shouldn't be" monogamous because of biology is a dangerous false prophet. There is a lot of out-dated junk written into our genetic code, to say we should excused for actually follwing any or all of it is just daft. Most of what we do isn't instinct, much of what we don't do is. I for one am happy we've come this far, not to mention that I don't have to put up with having poop flung at me whenever I leave the house.

On the attack and alcohol front, well, the veneer of civilisation is very thin and scratched away easily.

Okay I have to agree with you here, the veneer of civilization is indeed very think and easily scratched away, but mai pen lai? I think not.