Hail Suvarnabhumi!

Got back this morning from a trip to India. What a contrast between Indira Gandhi international airport and Suvarnabhumi! Over an hour to collect luggage at IGI; two minutes at Suvarnabhumi. Walking to Immigration and baggage collection at IGI is a soul-destroying experience; the same trip along moving walkways at SI is a pleasure. The TG lounge at SI is marvellous; the Clipper Lounge at IGI is a disgrace. I know IGI is undergoing reconstruction and I hope it all turns out well, but I suspect they don't really have much idea of customer service or efficiency. Despite the problems Suvarnabhumi has had, my experience of this trip tells me it is really a quality airport. (I hope this doesn't jinx me for my next trip!) :o:D

Got back this morning from a trip to India. What a contrast between Indira Gandhi international airport and Suvarnabhumi! Over an hour to collect luggage at IGI; two minutes at Suvarnabhumi. Walking to Immigration and baggage collection at IGI is a soul-destroying experience; the same trip along moving walkways at SI is a pleasure. The TG lounge at SI is marvellous; the Clipper Lounge at IGI is a disgrace. I know IGI is undergoing reconstruction and I hope it all turns out well, but I suspect they don't really have much idea of customer service or efficiency. Despite the problems Suvarnabhumi has had, my experience of this trip tells me it is really a quality airport. (I hope this doesn't jinx me for my next trip!) :D:D

Hi

After reading all about the opening of Terminal 5 at Heathrow and all the associated problems maybe Suvarnabhumi wasn't so bad.

I gather that a week or so on at T5 LHR there are still big problems so much so that BA have delayed transferring intercontinental flights for several more weeks.

So belated congratulations to Thailand after all.

TBWG :o

As a regular user of Swampy, I cannot praise it enough.

Initial problems were to be expected, but most seem to be fixed.

The big thing with Swampy, it is NOT a rabbits warren of passageways.

Try Brisbane....... sheeeeesh.

My only detraction is the long walks to planes sometimes.

The open plan style makes Swampy a pleasure to use, long may it be so.

Keep up the good work, AOT.

Edited by Zpete

HALELUJAH!

Good to see some people need to praise the state-of-the-art new Bangkok airport conceived in the 70ties and copied on Munich's factory hall concept.

Check-in hall at Swampy sounds like a fish market to me thanks to the noise absorbing materials used to build the place, brilliant concept all the way, from the Transportation Center to the metal chairs at the gates.

Anyway, I flew in/out twice last month (domestic) and baggage waiting time was 30 and 45 minutes after the long corridor walk, nothing to be proud of compared to Udon, Surat and Dong Mueang where I got into/out in February. Sure it's a lot shorter way from plane to belt at the other places.

Thanks AOT for allowing me to kick-ass a few taxi Mafia touts again. Don't understand why they insist to block my way out to get hit by my luggage cart! Talking about customer service and efficiency here!

I will be back later this month (in/out) to have the pleasure to visit the international shopping mall.

I enjoy this place more and more each time :o

P.S. Have they re-opened the second runway yet? (some repairs were needed really?)

Edited by tartempion

I am appalled. I got off my flight this morning, picked up my bag (30 bloody minutes waiting time) and headed out to get a meter taxi and what am i confronted with. Not one, but two, seedy looking geezers in sweaty shirts asking me if I'd like a private car into the city. It's an absolute outrage. An absolute disgrace. Had I not been an experienced traveller, I could have fallen for it.

Of course, this was at Melbourne airport this morning, not Swampy.

P.S. Have they re-opened the second runway yet? (some repairs were needed really?)

Yes they have, both runways working now. :o

Kan Win :D reporting from the West Runway :D side of this airport.

I am appalled. I got off my flight this morning, picked up my bag (30 bloody minutes waiting time) and headed out to get a meter taxi and what am i confronted with. Not one, but two, seedy looking geezers in sweaty shirts asking me if I'd like a private car into the city. It's an absolute outrage. An absolute disgrace. Had I not been an experienced traveller, I could have fallen for it.

Dear Bendix,

May I advice you to stick to Swampy?

At least the taxi touts there are neatly clothed, well washed, smell fresh as all Thais do, some even wear these nice yellow (AOT) shirts, you might fall for one :o

Hahaha,.......... :o

Melbs, Syds, Bris are, no favourites of mine.

Bris is the best one.

I like to fly NZ - Gold Coast.

GC like KL_LCC terminal, fast as.

Like Swampy, Melbs in dire need of rail link.....AKL too, for that matter.

Getting into CBD a real hassle in mornings.

HAIL Swampy, the rail is coming. :D