Americans In Thailand

ralphie

We Americans being large grazing animals tend to herd. In the Thailand expatriots and extended stay communities are there groupings?

Reading a few threads pertaining to diguising ones Americanism. Why, is there a real concern?

My farang wife and I plan to rent in Northern Thailand and rediscover for me and enjoy for her SouthEast Asia. Retiring for a few years of travel. Our plans are for a October 2007 arrival.

Im aware of the problem near Malaysia and dont have intention of visiting. Risk avoidance at this stage of our life is important, enjoying each day is the highest priority.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

americans are not exactly flavour of the month anywhere in the world these days and even in more peaceful times their demanding nature, 150 decibel voices, terrible dress sense and perfect teeth often elicited a negative response from their hosts, but the american who is adventurous enough to actually step onto a plane these days and knows how to get a passport is in all probability a decent enough chap. :o

I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN - HAVE BEEN ONE IN OVER 30 COUNTRIES :D

My Isaan Bride and I have been married over 30 years and none of her family has ever had a problem. with this poor old southern boy and I find most of her family pretty nice, but as in all families there are a couple you never leave alone in your house. The only thing they can't seem to do is make good southern cornbread or hushpuppies. but the wife and I will be back home in five months and Nong her sister is going to try to learn to fix a good old souther dinner. By the way Nong is only 60 years old and would like to meet a nice older farang - any takers :o

this old boy has gone fishin again

bud

americans are not exactly flavour of the month anywhere in the world these days and even in more peaceful times their demanding nature, 150 decibel voices, terrible dress sense and perfect teeth often elicited a negative response from their hosts, but the american who is adventurous enough to actually step onto a plane these days and knows how to get a passport is in all probability a decent enough chap. :o

Remember 51% of them didn't vote for Bush. Lets try not to generalize and cast them all under Bush's malevolent shadow. All the Americans that I've met over here have been decent folk, not unlike you or I.

I don't worry when I am in Thailand - I certainly don't look like the "Steotypical" American... :o

.....And Every time I go to Thailand, I ALWAYS wear my YANKEE hat!

(GO YANKEEES!! )

The "N+Y" logo ( see my Avatar ) is a secret symbol that is only known to other Americans ( who are into Baseball, more or less ) , so they know where I'm from off the "bat"..... :D

I never seem to have any trouble or negativity no matter which country i travel too and as a side note JFK only won the election by 100,000 votes not winning by a majority in the USA is not rare or uncommon. I am not ashamed or pretending to be anything but american no matter where i am.

Any thoughts on where in the North you'd like to settle down? Then perhaps post in the applicable regional forum. (Like the Chiang Mai forum, for example).

Oh and most Thais don't know and don't care to distinguish between Americans, Canadians, Australians, Europeans, etc. etc. (*Maybe* some in the tourist industry do, but there Americans are generally well-liked.)

Cheers,

Chanchao

I never seem to have any trouble or negativity no matter which country i travel too and as a side note JFK only won the election by 100,000 votes not winning by a majority in the USA is not rare or uncommon.  I am not ashamed or pretending to be anything but american no matter where i am.

I agree with Bucatini. I've never had any trouble in any country I have traveled to except where I got myself into it; had nothing to do with being American, just being a general, young, inexperienced dumbsh!t. As far as a herd mantality goes, I think most Americans do not gravitate towards their countrymen at all, in fact the

traveling American is often a loner. The nationalities I see in packs most often are

the Japanese and the British (drinking hooligans) (no offense intended to all the fabulous Poms of the world. You make it all the more colourful :o )

The nationalities I see in packs most often are

the British (drinking hooligans)

Which Nationality complains about Americans most, but are well known as the worst rude, drunken bores from Spain to Pattaya and beyond? :o

The British complain about everyone. I think the nationality which complains about Americans the most could well be French, or numerous Middle Eastern countries, anyway, the British are way down on the list.

We Americans being large grazing animals tend to herd. In the Thailand expatriots and extended stay communities are there groupings?

Reading a few threads pertaining to diguising ones Americanism. Why, is there a real concern?

My farang wife and I plan to rent in Northern Thailand and rediscover for me and enjoy for her SouthEast Asia. Retiring for a few years of travel. Our plans are for a October 2007 arrival.

Im aware of the problem near Malaysia and dont have intention of visiting. Risk avoidance at this stage of our life is important, enjoying each day is the highest priority.

Guess if I wanted to "herd" with my fellow Americans I wouldn't be coming to Thailand to do it. There are plenty of fun people to be around of all nationalities (including American). Come to Thailand and enjoy all. I think, once here, you will not find it difficult to find your "herd", wherever your tastes may lie.

As far as "safety". I feel as safe here in Thailand as in the USA, if not safer. But who knows what it will be like at the end of 2007.

PS: If you are ex-military, then there are several VFW chapters in various areas.

whoever 'mango' is he should take said fruit and put it in the appropriate place.

<deleted> you pal...

:D I guess this is in reference to this post and the post where i dared to disagree with the statement about "America's superior musical heritage" then :o

Cheers Mango.

mango...re: 'music in America' not a bit, but your earlier post on this thread was insulting and not a bit funny. I spent 10 miserable years in 'dear old Blighty' but I won't go into the details regarding the people, the food, the country, etc...

in wormwood scrubbs? :o

tutsi...ever holiday in Skegness? Now that's a garden spot if there ever was one. Beats Blackpool hands down! :o

Don't forget Rhyl!

It's good to know that I can head to Ko Samui for a weekend, just like fellow scousers back home head to Rhyl... :D

Americans herding? Where? Where? Why wasn't I told about this before?! :D

:D:D:D

I “Herd” it through the Grapevine – was that not Otis Reading who sang that tune so many years ago ? :wub:

or was that just gossip??? :o

Edited by Kan Win