How To Get A Thai Driver's License?

Hi guys

I already have an International Driving Permit.

How do I get a Thai Driver's License?

I heard that you don't need to take any test anymore in getting the Thai License, if you already have the International one... you simply present your international license at the Thai DMV.

Is that true? Or, is it a little bit more complicated than that?

1) Where do I go? (How do I find it?)

2) What window do I go to?

3) What are the steps involved.

I speak a little Thai, but not much. Is it complicated? Can I get it alone?

I drive since 1991 with an IDL. Never had a problem, either with the police nor the insurance company. 18 years already!

WCA

I make that 17 years :o Anyway, Thailand only accepts IDPs according to the 1949(?) convention, which have a maximum validity of one year. Do you go back to your home country every year to get a new IDP?

/ Priceless

I drive since 1991 with an IDL. Never had a problem, either with the police nor the insurance company. 18 years already!

WCA

I make that 17 years :o Anyway, Thailand only accepts IDPs according to the 1949(?) convention, which have a maximum validity of one year. Do you go back to your home country every year to get a new IDP?

/ Priceless

I don't go back to my country that often, and in any case, I'd still like to get a local Thai license as an I.D. to show that I'm a "local" and "not a tourist".

How can I use my IDP to get a local Thai license without having to take tests and stuff?? Where exactly in MoChit and what window/desk? :D

Yes, 17 years, seems I get old. No I don't go back every year. Actually my IDL is valid for 20 years. Maximum validity of one year never was an issue during discussions with the police or the insurance company.

WCA

/ Priceless

/ Priceless

Yes, 17 years, seems I get old. No I don't go back every year. Actually my IDL is valid for 20 years. Maximum validity of one year never was an issue during discussions with the police or the insurance company.

WCA

As far as I have been able to determine there are only two kinds of International Driving Permits (IDP). According to the convention of 1949, with a validity of one year, and according to the convention of 1968, with a validity of three years. Thailand has never ratified the 1968 convention and consequently only accepts the one year IDPs. Such a thing as a 20-year or lifetime IDP does not exist and has never done so.

I would venture to guess that you in fact have a home country license issued in English or another language + English. This is frequently accepted by police, insurance companies and car rentals. It might however be wise to get a Thai license instead, which is a simple and cheap procedure documented in one of the pinned threads above. The reason is that formally it is illegal driving in Thailand without either a Thai license or an IDP. There are many stories about, telling how insurance companies have refused to pay out, after major accidents, based on this fact. They may well accept your insurance fee without a proper license/permit, payout could be a different kettle of fish :D

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

A Thai licence is VERY useful....not only in your car but when entering National Parks etc or anytime you feel it may be useful to say you are living/working here.

A couple of points....

If you have a UK photo licence they will only give you a cursory couple of eye tests etc ....no driving test etc required.

Also try to pick an office that isn't overrun with Farangs - they tend to be much quicker and less frenetic.

Edited by wilko

You will need a doctors certificate . Very easy to get if you are breathing. Plus a residents certificate from Immigration.

A Non Imm Visa.

Like every thing else here, depends where you go, who you see and what day of the week.

I had the old green UK Licence and got a Car and Motorbike Licence with no tests in Samui.

It's simple, I suggest that you do all the photocopying before you get there of your Passport, Driving licence, work permit or letter from embassy. Doctors cert is easy, I went to place on Lad Phrao 50bht and about two minutes. Once you get there, they'll check all the documnets and then a quick test upstairs. It really isn't a problem, and I found the staff to be polite and helpful at Mo Chit.

. The reason is that formally it is illegal driving in Thailand without either a Thai license or an IDP. There are many stories about, telling how insurance companies have refused to pay out, after major accidents, based on this fact. They may well accept your insurance fee without a proper license/permit, payout could be a different kettle of fish :o

4 years ago I had a major crash. The insurance company paid without hesitation or questioning my IDL. (650,000 Baht)

WCA

. The reason is that formally it is illegal driving in Thailand without either a Thai license or an IDP. There are many stories about, telling how insurance companies have refused to pay out, after major accidents, based on this fact. They may well accept your insurance fee without a proper license/permit, payout could be a different kettle of fish :o

4 years ago I had a major crash. The insurance company paid without hesitation or questioning my IDL. (650,000 Baht)

WCA

Lucky you! And you've saved the 605 baht for a (new style, 5-year) Thai license too :D

/ Priceless

sorry i don't want to hijack this topic

but i have one question about the eye sight test

i am not colour blind but colour deficient but this means that i fail the general colour test,

its shades of colours thats my problem not prime colours , before when i was in the merchant navy i had to have the lantern test to prove i was ok with red green white and yellow colours , w

So would this stop me getting a Thai DL

If anybody can let me know

many thanks

colino

sorry i don't want to hijack this topic

but i have one question about the eye sight test

i am not colour blind but colour deficient but this means that i fail the general colour test,

its shades of colours thats my problem not prime colours , before when i was in the merchant navy i had to have the lantern test to prove i was ok with red green white and yellow colours , w

So would this stop me getting a Thai DL

If anybody can let me know

many thanks

colino

In my experience it is harder failing at the colour test than passing it. When I took it, the tester would point at a (prime) colour and ask "What colour is this?" and I would answer Red, Green, Blue or whatever it was. None of these numbers hidden in shades of colours that you would meet in my country. Dead easy, really :o

/ Priceless

just to point out.

When I am in Thailand I use my Singapore driving license, which is in English.

I have been stopped several times by the police for minor offences.

Always a hire car, never any bother directed at the license.

My UK license is in about 5 pieces so I dont think that would go down well

Hi guys

I already have an International Driving Permit.

How do I get a Thai Driver's License?

1) Where do I go? (How do I find it?)

2) What window do I go to?

3) What are the steps involved.

I just got my Thai Driver's license and it was a piece of cake.

First, there are two versions of the International Driver's License, the 1949 convention that is valid one year, and the 1968 convention that is valid three years. Only the former is valid in Thailand.

Then, you need your landlord, or whoever has the house book for the premises where you are staying, to accompany you to the police station to get a certificate that shows your address in Thailand. Then drop in to a clinic to get a certificate from a doctor that you are fit to drive. Mine cost me 50 baht.

You need to take photocopies of your passport's first page, visa page and the last entry stamp and copies of your sponsor's id and house book to the police. For the license office you need copies of the passports again, one set for each type of license you will be applying for. However, there is no need to bring photos as the photo will be taken at the office.

At the office you will be required to take a colour test and a reaction test. They were very basic actually. The whole process to me less than one hour in Khon Kaen and the cost for the car license is 205 baht.

Finally, you need a one year visa to be able to apply for the Thai license, which first will be issued for one year and thereafter for five years.

Good luck,

Göran

Edited by stgrhe

During my last trip this weekend to the North I was stopped by the police on 4 occasions. (Routine controls). As the owner of a "20 years IDL" I got the impression, that not one of the police officers could actually read the IDL. They simply asked the usual questions, were very kind and wished a good trip.

WCA