Two Thais Arrested For Stealing And Using Foreign Tourists' Credit Cards

george

Two Thais arrested for stealing and using foreign tourists' credit cards

BANGKOK: -- Two young men have been arrested for stealing and using credit cards of foreign tourists, a senior tourist police officer said Saturday.

Pol Col Samran Yindee-arom told a press conference that Wansawang Puawongpaet, 19, and a 15-year-old boy were arrested Friday afternoon in a Lotus Superstore in Bangkok's Bang Plad district while using stolen credit cards to buy phones.

Police found Bayerscne LandesBank Visa card and Nippon Shinpan Visa card with them as well a Deutsche Bank debit card on them.

-- The Nation 2008-

BANGKOK: -- Two young men have been arrested for stealing and using credit cards of foreign tourists, a senior tourist police officer said Saturday.

Pol Col Samran Yindee-arom told a press conference that Wansawang Puawongpaet, 19, and a 15-year-old boy were arrested Friday afternoon in a Lotus Superstore in Bangkok's Bang Plad district while using stolen credit cards to buy phones.

Police found Bayerscne LandesBank Visa card and Nippon Shinpan Visa card with them as well a Deutsche Bank debit card on them.

-- The Nation 2008-

well it doesn't take sherlock homes to realise a 15 year old boy using a credit card with the name Herbet Van Winkle may not be his :o but then again TIT.....

A very lucky break for the BiB. Good work.

Quick question: When a shop accepts a credit card as payment for goods or services, the three obvious points to check are:

1) Sex of the customer versus what is on the card. This could be a bit of problem with Thailand.

2) Ethnicity of the cutomer. If the card is made out to a Japanese male, does the cutomer look Japanese.

3) Does the signature match? How often are you asked to re-verify your signature?

I am glad a lot of the newer credit cards require a PIN instead of a signature as proof.

Personally, I NEVER sign my credit cards on the signature panel. Instead, I write in felt pen: MUST USE PHOTO ID

Peter

Edited by peter991

I NEVER sign my credit cards on the signature panel. Instead, I write in felt pen: MUST USE PHOTO ID

Not signing your card is a very poor decision. Until you do, it can be matched to ANY signature. Until you do, it's 'anyone's card'... Think about it!

We all know how hard it is to make an ID card here, NOT.

Without a signature to check, it matches everyone else's attempt.

The card company guarantess rull re-imbursement of any fraudulent charge. With my signature on the card, I've fulfilled thier requirements.

SIGN THE CARD... it's for your protection.

I NEVER sign my credit cards on the signature panel. Instead, I write in felt pen: MUST USE PHOTO ID

Not signing your card is a very poor decision. Until you do, it can be matched to ANY signature. Until you do, it's 'anyone's card'... Think about it!

We all know how hard it is to make an ID card here, NOT.

Without a signature to check, it matches everyone else's attempt.

The card company guarantess rull re-imbursement of any fraudulent charge. With my signature on the card, I've fulfilled thier requirements.

SIGN THE CARD... it's for your protection.

In the US, must provide ID is a very common practice and actually a very simple extra check. Not yet widespread in Uk, and unheard of in Thailand.

My parents came to Thailand years ago, and had "Please see ID" on the signature of their card. We were at a small guesthouse/restaurant in CM and the waiter insisted they sign the charge slip the same as the card. So, dad duly signed his charge slip "Please see ID" :o

Quick question: When a shop accepts a credit card as payment for goods or services, the three obvious points to check are:

1) Sex of the customer versus what is on the card. This could be a bit of problem with Thailand.

2) Ethnicity of the cutomer. If the card is made out to a Japanese male, does the cutomer look Japanese.

3) Does the signature match? How often are you asked to re-verify your signature?

I am glad a lot of the newer credit cards require a PIN instead of a signature as proof.

Personally, I NEVER sign my credit cards on the signature panel. Instead, I write in felt pen: MUST USE PHOTO ID

Peter

1) :o I agree here. Would be a problem here in Thailand. But sex of customer is indicated on cards? Mine no no.

2) Ethnicity ? Mine, too no no. Basing on a Japanese name against that of a Thai name, of course one can tell the diff. But what if a Brit's against a yank, or some other Russian's against what you have? Are all these service people suppose to know all these ? Nah, I don't think so.

3) You are not being asked to verify signature cos yours matched perfectly.

Never signed on the card's signature panel ? Wrong move. First thing the bank would advise you is to immediately signed on card. The bank is wrong ? Nah i do not think so.

MUST USE PHOTO ID ?

Peter

1) :o I agree here. Would be a problem here in Thailand. But sex of customer is indicated on cards? Mine no no.

2) Ethnicity ? Mine, too no no. Basing on a Japanese name against that of a Thai name, of course one can tell the diff. But what if a Brit's against a yank, or some other Russian's against what you have? Are all these service people suppose to know all these ? Nah, I don't think so.

3) You are not being asked to verify signature cos yours matched perfectly.

Never signed on the card's signature panel ? Wrong move. First thing the bank would advise you is to immediately signed on card. The bank is wrong ? Nah i do not think so.

MUST USE PHOTO ID ?

Photos ID are only to complement all of the above.

Those young men are not very bright. You have to SELL the credit card to the bigger gangs, who know how to use them!

Oh well, they probably learn this when they graduate from the prison university!

I live in the US and manage a store where we do hundred's of CC transactions daily. 95% of the time no "additional ID" is required and signing isn't required under $25. Comparing signatures is a waste of time and energy. The people who write "SEE ID" are the only ones where we actually ask for ID. I think it's a good idea as it prompts the cashier to as kfor the ID of the cardholder.

People/Places where you compare signatures have to ask themselves one simple question, When you buy someting online or over the phone, who is comparing THAT SIGNATURE?? SO while you can't buy a 6pack of beer at the local mrket the theives will be able to buy a new laptop online! Complete waste of time.

SO while you can't buy a 6pack of beer at the local mrket the theives will be able to buy a new laptop online! Complete waste of time.

Online purchases require billing addresses and often shipping addresses that are the same as the billing so it is not that easy.

>Police found Bayerscne LandesBank Visa card...

being german I normally only read here an never write because I`m too ashamed of my bad english language and grammar- but this is my chance to be a real smart aleck:

The "Djangwat" in Germany of wich the capital is Munich (Bavaria) is called "Bayern", the adjective (bavarian) is "bayrisch" oder "bayerisch", that`s why the "Thanakaan" ist called "Bayerische Landesbank" :o

SCNR

SO while you can't buy a 6pack of beer at the local mrket the theives will be able to buy a new laptop online! Complete waste of time.

Online purchases require billing addresses and often shipping addresses that are the same as the billing so it is not that easy.

Once you have someone's name, do you know how easy it is to obtain their address over the internet?? Very easy and often for free. If you want to pay a few bucks then it's rediculously easy and fast.

Bottom line: Checking signatures is a giant waste of everyones time. When I was in the UK and went to Sainsbury's, there were teenage kids scrutinizing IDs and signatures as the line of waiting customers wrapped around the corner. These children cannot be expected to become caligraphy experts. Besides it's not the business' resposibility to make sure every card is "legit" and not stolen. The onus of responsibility is with the cardholder.

Once you have someone's name, do you know how easy it is to obtain their address over the internet?? Very easy and often for free. If you want to pay a few bucks then it's rediculously easy and fast.

Yes, but... if the item must be shipped to the billing (i.e. the cardholder's) address, how does the miscreant get the merchandise?

Yes, but... if the item must be shipped to the billing (i.e. the cardholder's) address, how does the miscreant get the merchandise?

I'm confused as to why it has to shipped to the "billing address"?? Haven't you ever bought something and shipped it to a different address? You've never bought someone a present online and shipped it directly to them?

Most retailers could care less. They are in business to make money, not turn it away. Trust me, someone gets your ahold of your CC's watch how fast your money diappears online! If one company has some rule about shipping only to the billing address, there's 30 more who don't.

High priced purchases will send up flags if they go outside a persons normal spending pattern. In a lot of shopping systems that are known 'attack vectors' when it comes to scamming out money from obtained CC info watches for patterns of their own. Different address (and often even country!) is one of these.

Bottom line: Checking signatures is a giant waste of everyones time.

Agreeed!

While I worked and ran credit cards, I'd NEVER check signatures. By the time I bring the copy for them to sign, the transaction has already been approved.

If anyone gave me their ID with the card, I would just hand it back. Why do I want their ID? In fact it's against Credit card policy for me to ask for anyone's ID.

I'd then tell them that I don't care if you sign it or not, but until you do it's anyone's card (meaning that anyone that finds the unsigned card, can sign it and their signature will now match their next attempt to use it, perhaps at a place that doesn't pre-authorize)

Peter

In Australia all credit cards have a PIN but you can only use the PIN at an ATM to withdraw cash, when you do a transaction at a store they run your card through an EFTPOS card reader and you sign for the purchase, no pin number is used. I asked my bank why PIN numbers are not used for store purchases and they had no answer. With an ATM debit card used in an EFTPOS reader the PIN mumber has to be used. I have never been asked for photo ID except at the Bangkok Bank when I do a cash withdrawal at the FX counter.

It does make you wonder about security, the weak link is the merchant ( the seller of goods and services)

On the question of security how many of you know where your credit card is ? Is it under lock and key accessible only to you? Do you carry all your cards and ID in one wallet on you at all times? I have a policy , only carry cards when you need them and the only a minimum eg drivers licence and one ATM card, everything else under lock and key in a safe place, show ID only to authorised persons. (We do in Australia have much better security in general than the USA as far as Id theft is concerned).

In the UK, we have "Chip and Pin", which is supposed to make things much more secure, but apparently has a few issues. However, I do feel a little safer with both my Credit and Debit cards having to enter my Pin before the transaction is complete. Here in Thailand a few places have "Chip and Pin" readers, but I always have to tell the salespeople that I need to enter my Pin number of the little keypad, otherwise they just wait for it to time out and then say "sorry .....cannot use card". I hope as this becomes more widespread the stores will actually explain to their staff that the customer needs to enter the Pin number.

Freddie

In the UK, we have "Chip and Pin", which is supposed to make things much more secure, but apparently has a few issues. However, I do feel a little safer with both my Credit and Debit cards having to enter my Pin before the transaction is complete. Here in Thailand a few places have "Chip and Pin" readers, but I always have to tell the salespeople that I need to enter my Pin number of the little keypad, otherwise they just wait for it to time out and then say "sorry .....cannot use card". I hope as this becomes more widespread the stores will actually explain to their staff that the customer needs to enter the Pin number.

Freddie

Actually I hope this system never comes in use here.

Now when you make payments, they can only skim the information on that card's magnetic strip. They will not be able to get your pin code, unless with advanced techniques involving hidden cameras at ATM machines.

With only the information of your magnetic track, they can not do very much, apart from making a real looking credit card (expensive/difficult) and then to go buy some goods in real shops, which involves personal interaction with the sales person, and real danger of getting caught.

They cannot use it online, as they don't have your address, they don't have your cvv code (unless they looked at it and memorized it).

If however PIN codes are required, they just have to make up a real looking terminal, let you swipe your card and enter your ping, and presto, they have everything they need to empty your account in no time. They'll just tell you, sorry, the system is probably down (happens a lot in Thailand anyway). Just make a copy onto a blank magnetic card, and withdraw cash at the nearest machine. No personal interaction needed, put on a helmet and the built in camera of the ATM will be utterly useless.

Recall the citibank scandal involving massive atm withdrawals using skimmed cards???

Police found Bayerscne LandesBank Visa card ... and Deutsche Bank debit card on them.

-- The Nation 2008-

Skinny 15 tear old Thai kid with attitude:

"Ow Mobile pang mai, na krup - Visa gohday mai?" (I want a new expensive mobile please - Visa ok?)

Hot looking Mobile Phone Store clerk:

"Ka! a nee suay mak - goh song-mueng-baht, Ka Khun, Khun.. WilHELM ZeigermeiSTER!" Ok this one is beautiful and it costs 20,000 Baht Khun Wilhem Zeigermeister!" :o